FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Clifton's Pacific Seas, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Clifton's Pacific Seas, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 3:49 pm   Permalink

Name:Clifton's Pacific Seas
Type:restaurant
Street:618 S. Olive
City:Los Angeles
State:CA
Zip:90291
Phone:

Description:
In the late 1920s, Clifford Clinton opened L.A.'s first cafeteria, The Cafeteria of the Golden Rule, on Olive St. He added another \"Golden Rule\" on Broadway which would later become the Clifton's Brookdale. In 1939, the Olive St. Golden Rule was remodeled into the Pacific Seas. It closed in 1960 and there is a parking lot on the site today.

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 3:55 pm   Permalink

Dated 1940

Dated 1945

[ This Message was edited by: Chub 2009-11-30 16:05 ]

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Crowntiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-17 12:00 pm   Permalink

Clifton's to return to tiki status? Even though it's a couple of blocks away from the South Seas outpost and decades later, according to la.eater.com, it might...

"Andrew Meiran (The Edison) is a busy man these days. Not only is he gearing up to open a branch of The Edison in New York, but Eater just got word that Meiran has purchased Clifton's Cafeteria on 7th and Broadway, a venue that has been around since 1931. Known for preserving historic locations and retaining original artifacts and décor as he did with The Edison, word on the street is that Meiran is planing to do such with the Clifton’s space and possibly convert it into a tiki concept with two separate bars in the upper part of the building. On the subject of this takeover, Meiran says, "We are excited about the prospect of being involved in the revitalization of Broadway and the one of the nation's most historic eating establishments. We hope to continue Clifton's incredible legacy as the cultural, social and architectural landmark in Los Angeles.” [EaterWire] — Yolanda Evans

As much as I love tiki, truly sad to see this Clifton's go. Unless they turn it into the Mai Kai west, I gotta give a thumbs down on this one.

View Profile of Crowntiki Send a personal message to Crowntiki  Goto the website of Crowntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-18 07:22 am   Permalink

Wow! You're right, that might be bad, but being that in such cases as the Broadway Clifton's one already constantly worries "How is it possible that such a time warp has survived this long?", this sounds better as closure and removal, and leaves room for hope.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 9:45 pm   Permalink

If he could make Clifton's have just a portion of the incredible popularity enjoyed by the Edison, he will have succeeded. However, to add Tiki - that is so hopeful!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-10-17 1:24 pm   Permalink

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-17 2:38 pm   Permalink

I got to dine at Clifton's yesterday and see the third level "before renovation".

Best of luck to the new visionary. Hopefully his tiki-idea remains true to the original Clifton's Pacific Seas Cafeteria vision...only the finest of pre-tiki grandeur and those beautiful neon palm trees, huh?

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 3:30 pm   Permalink

In anticipation of the upcoming "Tiki bar" on Clifton's 3rd floor, here's some vintage Clifton's eye candy for you. Because most of it is from the long-gone Clifton's Pacific Seas, I'll post it in this thread.

Mahalos to HB Tiki for the source of this content. It's his booklet...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-06 4:59 pm   Permalink

John O,

Thanks for posting HB Tiki's brochure, what great collection of photos. That also helped me solve a mystery on a postcard that I have had for a long time.

Here is a photo from the brochure showing the lei and flower shop.

And here is my mystery postcard, the location now confirmed as Cliftons Pacific Seas.

There is no location ID on the back.

Thanks!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 06:26 am   Permalink

Bring back Mrs. Von! Great stuff. And seeing that kneeling Jesus, on the other side of town in the Holy Land tour with BigBro makes it a nice weird trip...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 08:06 am   Permalink

Yes, that Jesus now resides in my neighborhood, at the home of the original Lost Ark explorer!

Swanky, had I mentioned that the guy who did the faux stone work at Clifton's supposedly was the same artiste who did the Police Academy Cafeteria grounds?

Man, what an amazing booklet! Thanks HB, and John-O for all the work uploading it!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 08:22 am   Permalink

What this country needs is a good "completely balanced, nutritionally adequate five-cent meal"

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 08:41 am   Permalink

BigBro, actaually, you did. And just last night I was wondering just how one makes those rocks and further, where on earth I could go to practice the craft before I put them in my back yard! My yard is missing a water feature. I want to go big!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-07 06:26, Swanky wrote:

Bring back Mrs. Von!...

Actually I think the Bigbro should hold court in the Tiki-Ti and offer up Tiki advice and settle Tiki issues on a weekly basis.

Kind of like how Lucy did in the 1960's...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-07 2:42 pm   Permalink

Only if I get paid how I get paid for my Tiki help most of the time: in cocktails.

And while I am away in Europe, I will use Rasta-Jim as my medium: He will channel me and speak with a German accent.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation