FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto!
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 2:44 pm   Permalink

Although French Polynesia has much to it's appeal and history, many are not aware of the importance and cultural significance that belonged to the infamous Loma Kai Yacht Club. Founded in 1946, LKYC became the mecca for all those who traveled the South Pacific via sailing crafts, located strategically on a reef protected atoll. Local Polynesians adapted Western and European sailing innovations to their own designs, and pacific sailing was forever impacted, including many design features evident in today's I14 class. Races, regattas, trading, and of course great camaraderie around the famous LKYC bar made LKYC a South Pacific treasure.

But then, as many of you know, tragedy struck in 1958 with the great Cyclone known as "Tuha Mou'a" (which I believe translated as "Spitting Mountain"). LKYC along with the atoll itself was completely devastated, as the overwhelming monsoon erased what so many had come to love. The tales and renown of Loma Kai were relegated to legend, spoken of fondly by those where were there.

We are then, most understandably, thrilled to report that remnants, flotsam, and artifacts that have been unmistakably traced to the Loma Kai have just washed up on shore in a cove at Sunset Cliffs, in San Diego. My very own brother, know here at Tiki Central as "Commodore" (who I am sure will be chiming in here shortly), originally made the discovery just a few short months ago. Out of a sense of responsibility, duty really, Commodore has taken it upon himself to recreate a portion of the LKYC, which will now and forever be known as the The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto. Stay tuned for something special, I will post pics of the re-build shortly, and I think you will agree Commodore (Terry) has done a masterful job at bringing back the LKSC&G, a true tiki home for the South Pacific Waterman (or Wahine).

[ This Message was edited by: W8N2Surf 2018-10-25 14:45 ]

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 3:30 pm   Permalink

Okay, just by way of introduction, My name is Tim and I love this forum, although I don't post a whole lot but occasionallyI do. My brother Terry (Commodore) is the master mind behind this build, as well as the labor. So far, it's just him doing all the work. Terry has a 2 tier back deck made out of a rock solid Brazilian hard wood. The bottom tier has the jacuzzi on it, but the rest is open....room for the Loma Kai! The first thing he did is cover the regular fence with some bamboo screening.

Here you can see the steps going down to the future platform for the Loma Kai. Already got some good tropical foilage goin' on!!

View the other way

Ahhh, there is the blank canvas, with the Jacuzzi to the left. That will stay there, as the Loma Kai loves to serve Mai Tai's to those in the water.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 3:36 pm   Permalink

The next task was to reinforce the deck supports themselves. This deck could now support an African elephant. After that, Commodore cut out the floor area of the bar to install an underlayment which will make the room sealable, no bugs, maintain temperature.

He then laid the original decking back down, it's great wood so we want that as our floor for sure. Gaps will be filled, and the result will look like boat decking to some degree.

Note that we laid out the floor plan in tape. The 3 x's are bar stools, and the 2 lines on the right at the bottom of the triangle will be the front door.

More to come, and Commodore himself should check in here shortly.

[ This Message was edited by: W8N2Surf 2018-10-26 06:55 ]

Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 3:57 pm   Permalink

By "Brazilian Hardwood" do you mean Ipe (sometimes called "Ironwood", although there are several woods that wear that nickname)?

If so, you've got an amazing start. I built my deck out of Ipe, - a bomb could hit the house dead center and that deck would be the last thing standing after the fire dept put out the inferno.

It's hard as hell, and won't rot or get eaten by anything.

[ This Message was edited by: Sandbartender 2018-10-25 15:59 ]

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 4:11 pm   Permalink

Oh man, its on now!

Yes SandBartender, that wood is Ipe' or Ironwood - so dense that a plank sinks if you put in water (I've tried)... but it has a great color and makes for a fantastic base.

Really want the LKSC&G to be special place for family and friends and will be taking the time to do it right - hopefully you all enjoy the journey - its not big, but will have some very cool features to it for sure!

Mahalo!

View Profile of Commodore Send a personal message to Commodore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 21 days ago; 7:01 pm   Permalink

Awesome! It sure looked familiar.

What are you using to cut/drill? I bought a tungsten carbide circular saw blade and ended up going through about $130 worth of hardened drill bits when I did my deck (which is quite large, about 420 sqft)

Absolutely exhausting. I'll tip back something cool and refreshing tonight in your honor.

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 20 days ago; 07:10 am   Permalink

Okay, let's share some progress. Time to put some bones up.

With the floor decking relaid, here's the tape layout. Again, you can see the 3 barstools at the X's, sitting in front of the 2 lines that represent the bar. Back bar is near the fence, and at the bottom of the picture is the front door. There's the space!

Why the triangle in front of the front door? Hmmm, we shall see.

View from the top part of the deck. Great progress in a relatively short period of time.

Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 20 days ago; 08:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

What are you using to cut/drill? I bought a tungsten carbide circular saw blade and ended up going through about $130 worth of hardened drill bits when I did my deck (which is quite large, about 420 sqft)

@Sandbartender - We built the original deck in 2004 (when Ipe was 5X less than it is now!) and went through a ton of saw blades... even had some of them shatter - that wood is so wickedly solid. For our fasteners we found some that held the boards down along the sides and thus didn't have to drill through - which leaves a really clean look and for the bar will make it much more boat decking like. Cheers!

View Profile of Commodore Send a personal message to Commodore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 08:28 am   Permalink

FANTASTIC start, Tim! You've already got the tropical foliage in place, which is something most people tackle once the construction is completed. And spa tubs are completely tiki-appropriate!

I think I've sussed out your mystery triangle, but I'd never be so rude as to steal your thunder.

Looking forward to watching this progress!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 20 days ago; 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-10-26 08:28, Prikli Pear wrote:

I think I've sussed out your mystery triangle, but I'd never be so rude as to steal your thunder.

Jayme I hope your are right in your prediction, it will be an "unusual" feature for a home bar build, to be sure! Soon to be revealed!

Other plans: Terry is installing a cold water supply, so we will have a full wet bar here with an ice machine. The Commodore is indeed known for his craft level cocktails (his homemade orgeat is top notch) so a full functioning bar cannot be compromised on. Also considering a sliding door/entry on the side facing the jacuzzi, so the bar can have an open "party" feeling if we so desire. You could then also see into the bar from the top deck area, more of an inclusive feeling, yet, the doors can be shut for the classic cozy escapist tiki vibe that characterizes so many classic tiki establishments. All work to date is a one man show, and he is feeling it!

Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 06:48 am   Permalink

Good call W8N2Surf - full wet bar for sure - one of the many reasons for this bar is to store my burgeoning rum/rhum collection... (read: get it out of the house) and have a better place for all of those syrups and magic sauce ingredients that make tiki cocktails so good - so a complete workspace is a must and will likely plan to have all the rum separated by styles and countries - but that's still a ways off. We will do 2 lockable sliding doors will for sure go in on the starboard side of the bar - and as stated that will give direct access to the hot tub... err.... grotto... and will for sure look great from the upper deck and likewise will really open the bar up for larger events.

Big bar build day today - need to make some progress! Mahalo!

Commodore
Loma Kai SC&G

W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 11:09 am   Permalink

Update for today- we have procured wood for the major architectural feature of the Loma Kai. How about some Philippine Mahogony, walnut, and cedar (which will be stained). Let's see what Commodore can do with this.

As a side note, materials are not the only budget consumers here! A project like this will make one realize that we need new tools!

[ This Message was edited by: W8N2Surf 2018-10-27 11:11 ]

[ This Message was edited by: W8N2Surf 2018-10-27 11:12 ]

W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 19 days ago; 12:14 pm   Permalink

OKAY! It's around lunch time, so let's make a sandwich. Then, let's use some very expensive, cutting edge technology to apply some heat and steam.

Plastic sheeting, clamps, and electric steam pots. Will it work?

Gotta constantly monitor and make sure we are keeping the temperature up there! Holding at 190 degrees.

Steamy sweaty wood gets a little messy. Time for Commodore to apply some backyard engineering! Using the top deck as our big "workbench", he used clamps and blocks and shims to lay out the arc for this CRAZY AWESOME CENTER BEAM!

ALRIGHT!! Let's glue and clamp this bad boy up!!!!! See the clamped wood in the back right? Yeah, let's do it again 2 more times!

Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 18 days ago; 05:43 am   Permalink

Some additional notes here - all the hardwood were then cut on the tablesaw to about 1 1/2 and 2" strips depending on which beam they would apply to.

Heating the wood up took a number of tries to get right - I threw one home made contraption out and went to Rockler and got a proper steam producer made for such a thing (its in the top of the photo with the hot pots)... as awesome as that was I found it wasn't enough so went and bought three $15 hot pots and with some duct tape and hose we were able to produce quite a LOT of steam and heat. Its hard to steam up that many 14' long sections at once and so had to make sure all of the pieces were spaced out properly inside the bag. Ideally want the wood to get up to 212F for an hour for each inch of thickness on the wood. (The goal is to melt the sap or glue inside the wood - so when it bends and dries it will hold the bend shape - tricky for sure) The thermometer shows 195 or so - but thats as high as it went so I'm pretty sure I got the wood to 200+ and it became very pliable. Tricky setting the forms up, but it worked (finally) and after some mildly burnt fingers the end result as you'll see is awesome (IMHO).

Mahalo!

W8N2Surf
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 18 days ago; 07:15 am   Permalink

Bending and steaming at the same time. Fortunate to have this flat deck to work on!

When I said Commodore was performing all the work solo, I lied. He has had a faithful assistant the whole time.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation