[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Three Wise Monkeys
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Three Wise Monkeys
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 09:56 am   Permalink

I was wondering how many (any?) have the Three Wise Monkeys as part of their Tiki collection? I know they aren't strictly Tiki, but like shrunken heads, they add a bit of depth to a Tiki bar.

If so, show us your pics.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 1:33 pm   Permalink

I don't, but as a bit of history...

I've seen the original 3 wise monkeys. They're a wood carving at the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko Japan.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 1:38 pm   Permalink

The monkeys are part of a much larger set of monkeys that were meant to show all the stages of life. The 3 famous ones are meant to represent childhood.

http://www.nikko-jp.org/english/toshogu/sanzaru.html

This was described to me as a new era of peace in Japan, and a turning away from war and toward optimism and more artistic pursuits. The Monkeys represented the new life that children would have in the new Japan.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-23 1:40 pm   Permalink

Coool!

I can picture fezes on the tops of their heads.

You know you're a poly pop addict when...

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-23 3:14 pm   Permalink

I used to have monkeys in my tiki bar, but they drank up all my rum and threw bad stuff at the cat...

Bad monkey! No banana!

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-26 11:57 pm   Permalink

I don't collect the three monkeys, but my girlfriend's sister does, which makes gift-buying for her pretty easy since I encounter older monkey sets a couple times a year. She and her hubby have been very thoughtful toward me in the tiki arena and he collects eagles so I've developed flea market "monkey-dar" and "eagle-eyes" to go with "tiki-dar", "dino-dar" and "googie-vision." She also collects the four monkeys (with "do no evil"), which I suppose is like Polynesian pop's relation to Polynesian pure. I used to call her about three frogs, etc, but she tells me she is "monkey specific" which I think is a neat phrase. There is a metal set of the three monkeys that shows up in Wichita at a hefty price because it was the logo of a local manufacturer for years. I don't remember the company name off-hand but I think it was a foundry.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-07-27 00:07 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-27 07:49 am   Permalink

monkey mugs from japan

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 10:35 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:06 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 7:47 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:07 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 10:54 am   Permalink

You mean these guys? http://www.cafeshops.com/nicefishy/327799

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 10:54 am   Permalink

dupe post

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-08-04 11:14 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-04 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-23 13:33, BarkerBird wrote:

I've seen the original 3 wise monkeys. They're a wood carving at the Toshogu Shrine in Nikko Japan.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. That would explain why my 3 Wise Monkeys were made in Japan.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 01:29 am   Permalink

This is an interesting thread! I didn't know about the originals in Japan either...that's something I'd like to see. I have a friend who lives in Japan, I should send him on a mission for me...(or better yet, go visit him).

For some reason, I cannot resist them and have two sets. One as mugs, the others as candle holders. The candle holders were actually a Target find!

I started counting how many monkeys I had in my Tiki Room and stopped when I realized I had over 30! You really can't tell though when you come in...many are tucked in little places.

One of my newest monkeys is from Archie McPhee...the smoking monkey. I love him, and he's just a little guy with an addiction to Lil' Smokes.

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Exoticat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-05 01:37 am   Permalink

This is an interesting thread! I didn't know about the originals in Japan either...that's something I'd like to see. I have a friend who lives in Japan, I should send him on a mission for me...(or better yet, go visit him).

For some reason, I cannot resist them and have two sets. One as mugs, the others as candle holders. The candle holders were actually a Target find!

I started counting how many monkeys I had in my Tiki Room and stopped when I realized I had over 30! You really can't tell though when you come in...many are tucked in little places.

One of my newest monkeys is from Archie McPhee...the smoking monkey. I love him, and he's just a little guy with an addiction to Lil' Smokes.

View Profile of Exoticat Send a personal message to Exoticat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki God Todd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-08 2:10 pm   Permalink

I have 2 pieces that have a 4th monkey, the last monkey has his hands covering his privates. I bought the last piece from an anitque store and the lady said, " See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, but whats this one?"

I said, "Always wear a cup"

It got a pretty good laugh, but this is the only 2 I've seen like that.

Tiki God Todd
* The Aloha Tiki Lounge *

View Profile of Tiki God Todd Send a personal message to Tiki God Todd  Email Tiki God Todd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation