FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Sabu's Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-08-09 1:31 pm   Permalink

ps: Sabu's right, this makes a LOT of marinade. i doubled the recipe just because i didnt want a half jar of jam left over. there was enough sauce to soak a lot more chicken!
now i have 2 jars of leftover marinade (which i'm going to freeze~will report back how that works)
elicia

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-09 3:11 pm   Permalink

I had leftover sauce ready to save but the hubby turfed it before I had a chance to get it in the fridge or freezer. DOH!
Tw

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kalikiana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-19 12:44 am   Permalink

I just had to post a gigantic THANK YOU and MANY CHEERS to Sabu the Coconut Boy for posting his Spicy Coconut Chicken Skewers. Once I saw the recipe, I knew exactly what I'd be making for 40+ guests for my International Tiki Day Party! They were a HUGE hit! We made a ton of them since we were expecting 2x as many people. In fact, I'm eating one right now...dont'cha love leftovers? This is definitely my party recipe choice from now on...Excellent! Later, we started to think we were running low on chicken and thought we could intersperse chicken and fresh cut pineapple hunks on the skewer to make the chicken go a bit further...yummmm. We also had a rich chocolate fondue with fresh pineapple, strawberries, orange slices and marshmellows for dipping. What a mess, but everyone was wearing that chocolate grin! Drinks served were a quasi-mai-tai punch and my own Rum concoction I named the Sterling Mossman (aka Hula Cop) in tribute to him and his fun wacky hawaiian music...but since no one could remember his name, we renamed it the drink the Hula Cop.

The Sterling Mossman (aka Hula Cop)

Fill your favorite tiki mug with lots of broken ice hunks(not crushed)

1 hefty double shot dark rum (I use Rum of the Gods from Trader Joes for parties, its cheap, comes in a big jug [5 huge bottles were only 55.00!], and it's pretty darn good). Otherwise I use Appleton, VooDoo rum, Redrum, or Meyers...heck they're all good!

1 shot Dekuyper Pineapple Schnapps

1 shot R.W. Knudson Pineapple-Coconut juice (a really thick juice you find in the healthfood section of the grocery store, Trader Joe's, or healthfood store). I tried coconut milk but it tastes a bit greasy so I find this stuff works great and lasts a long time).

1 shot R.W. Knudson All Cranberry (don't ever drink this by itself...its really ALL cranberry...SOOOOO TART, it HURTS!).

Fill mug to top with a really good Ginger Ale like Verner's (my fav), or Ginger Beer.

Get a good strong swizzle stick and swizzle all that heavy sweet coconut juice that sank down to the bottom back up.

Garnish with fruit and a mint sprig. ENJOY!

Thanks again SABU! Your recipe was the best! I can't wait til the next party! Cheers! K

View Profile of Kalikiana Send a personal message to Kalikiana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 8:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks all, for the compliments, and you are very welcome! I hadn't checked this thread for a while and so had no idea how many of you had tried the recipe! Glad it's meeting with approval. Mixing it up with pineapple on the skewers sounds like a great idea. What I like most about this chicken is that it goes so well with rum-based drinks. Keep on grilling!

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes

Posted: 2004-08-19 8:33 pm   Permalink

i used the sauce on wings..and those turned out just as wonderful as the skewers.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 8:14 pm   Permalink

Here's a tip on getting the chicken covered on all sides with marinade:

Put the chicken in an oversized Zip-Loc bag, pour the marinade over it, zip the bag almost closed, squeeze out the remaining air & finish zipping the bag up. Put the whole bag in a large glass bowl in the fridge (in case it leaks). When you're done marinading the chicken just pour it out into the large glass bowl & throw the bag away. No turning, no staining, and the raw chicken's only in the bowl for a few minutes while you take it out to the grill, so you don't have to soak it in chlorine to sterilize it.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 11:55 am   Permalink

Oh man Sabu,
I made a batch of your chicken skewers last night... Ono Kine!
They were a HUGE hit! Damn, I wish there were some leftovers...
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-26 12:50 pm   Permalink

freddie, I used your zip-lock bag technique on Tuesday night, it worked perfectly! Especially since fridge space was tight.

10 family members with happy full bellies. It got a little messy though, the cottage we were staying in didn't have a pastry brush! (warning...the sauce temporarily stains silver nail polish )

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-06 2:44 pm   Permalink

dude...i tried it over the weekend and man was that good. People were impressed. I think this is the most popular food/drink thread ever.

thanks a million

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-27 09:33 am   Permalink

man, i finally made these this weekend and they were AWESOME!!!! we had my sister and brother in law over and all of us loved them. sabu, thanks for this great recipe!!!

[ This Message was edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-09-27 09:33 ]

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
new2tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-20 12:46 am   Permalink

Sabu:

My Wahine (who doesn't totally get the whole Tiki Thing yet, but is coming around)and my Mom (a mostly teetotaler who, nonetheless could occasionally be persuaded to order a polynesian cocktail during our bi-weekly Chinese dinner when I was a kid--and of which I would discreetly steal a few sips) Absolutely LOVED the skewers! I made 'em tonight, along with some grilled veggie skewers and brown rice....Yum!

Thanks for the recipe. Have you posted your shrimp recipe on here as well??

Scott

View Profile of new2tiki Send a personal message to new2tiki  Email new2tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-26 9:00 pm   Permalink

Hello Sabu,

Just wanted to add my voice to this chorus: They were great! The wife and I made 'em tonight for dinner and they rocked! Thanks for the recipe.

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-12 07:22 am   Permalink

You know - it's nice to have a "menu" of sorts at the Lagoon Lounge (™AlnShelyProductions) and Sabu's Skewers are a successful and much anticipated dish. I'm certain you stole it from Wolfgang Puck... but that accusation aside, once again, last night, the guests speak in hushed reverence:

sahhhhhbooooooo.

Your dish and the Tahitian Raw Fish Salad are so good together.

We added some "pineapple and 3 pepper fried rice" and my "island slaw."

A bowl of the Trader Vic's Navy Grog that Atlanta Joel was good enough to grant me the real recipe to... and a bowl or two of the Meihana from Intoxica.

Life is good.

I feel better now - can you tell?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-14 11:15 am   Permalink

I made these for the first time yesterday and they were magnificent! There are a lot of rich, complex flavors that make them very satisfying. We used 4 large chicken breasts, almost four pounds worth, with one batch of marinade and 3/4 bag of coconut. Next time I think I'm going to double the cayenne pepper to give it a little more heat.

What brand of apricot jam do other people use?

Mahalo Sabu for sharing this spectacular recipe! Did you have one for shrimp as well?

View Profile of TikiSan Send a personal message to TikiSan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kalikiana
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-16 6:33 pm   Permalink

I've made this at least 3 times so far and it's the best. It's a terrific addition to any Pot Luck or grill party. I found it's easiest to cut the chicken into thick strips with a pair of scissors first, then skewer, then marinade on the skewers. Otherwise, it's totally messy to skewer marinaded squishy chicken.
I was sitting in my tiki room last night drinking a pisco sour and thought of Sabu's Spicy coconut chicken skewers! I ran to the store to purchase the ingredients, marinaded the chicken, and they're on the grill right now! YUM! I can't wait........

SABU>>>>SABU>>>>SABU>>>>>

Must turn chicken......make rum cocktail......

Cheers to all, Kris

View Profile of Kalikiana Send a personal message to Kalikiana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation