FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Whaddya think about posting Tiki Finds individually?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Whaddya think about posting Tiki Finds individually?
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 4:50 pm   Permalink

Hey gang--

Perhaps it's just me, but I feel that with so many modern tiki items available, the Collecting Tiki section has become dominated by posts with the word "Spencer's" or "Target" in the subject line. That's all well & good--some people are interested in non-vintage items, or else the posts wouldn't be there--but personally I'm more interested in learning about PolyPop history through the vintage items. Vintage items mostly get posted in the massive Tiki Finds thread, which isn't conducive to discussion of an individual item.

What would you guys think about locking the Tiki Finds thread (and pinning it so it stays up top for reference, like was done in Creating Tiki), and encouraging new threads to be created when you score a cool vintage item? This seemed to work very well in Creating Tiki, and sparked a lot more discussion about carving, in particular.

Your thoughts?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 5:31 pm   Permalink

I agree, I like to read the stories and tidbits that a vintage item can generate too.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 6:39 pm   Permalink

I don't think that I'd post many of my finds if the Tiki Finds thread was locked. I wouldn't feel that they were worthy of starting a new post. Say I find a mug like a vintage Mr Bali Hai. It's fun to say "Hey look what I found for $5 at Saver's" since it is a quite a coup to find something like that in Florida plus it would tick Flounder off. But I'd never start a new post for finding a Bali Hai since everyone already knows what they are and many people have them. I find a Zombie Village mug, however, I will start a new thread whether the Tiki Finds thread is locked or not! Or if I found something unusual or that I have a question about, I'd start a new thread like I did with my "Leeteg" of dubious authenticity.

In Creating Tiki the opposite effect is sort of taking place in these new threads that are theme based (moai, marquesan, shrunken head etc). People (myself included) are posting things that they've created because it fits the theme. I'd never start a thread to post my crappy creations otherwise.

I think there are so many Target/Spencers threads because its something people can actually share. Especially for people who live outside of tiki rich areas (ie the entire world outside of California and Hawaii/South Pacific). Someone finding a Witco fountain is nice and all but it doesn't impact me personally. Lissette EsQui finding Tiki Farm mugs at Marshalls for $3 is useful info for me and many others!

Just my long-winded way of saying I'd like to see the Tiki Finds thread stay open for business.

EDIT: I only count 11 threads out of 50 on page one that are about retail chain tiki. That's not too bad is it?

[ This Message was edited by: Kono on 2004-08-01 18:45 ]

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 6:48 pm   Permalink

It would be fun to discuss vintage items if I could FIND vintage items!A lot of my tiki goodies have been found because of the nice folks who post here,and let everyone know that stores that are pretty to common to most of us HAVE tiki treasures.Let's keep the thread open.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 7:10 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:05 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 8:07 pm   Permalink

I have to agree strongly with what has been stated above. There are already plenty of threads for folks to discuss Target/TJ Max/Spencers. In my humble opinion, some people have already statred to post items found in their own topic. The way I take it is that "Hey, my find is more important and thus I should start my own thread". I love to see when new things are posted in the tiki finds thread and in most cases unique/vintage/amazing finds are discussed throughly.

After thinking a bit about this...and looking at the collecting threads....I think the better question to ask is how to "limit" (and I hate to use that word) or what have you about numerous non-vintage threads becoming out of control. In this I mean how often times these types of thread become splintered and ran rampent in the forum while the collecting thread gets pushed down by both of the above mentioned thread types.

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli on 2004-08-01 20:12 ]

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SeekingTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-01 8:15 pm   Permalink

I agree with humuhumu 100%. I am facinated with the history and would love to not have to search through 50 pages to see other's vintage tiki scores.

Vintage tiki is what brought us all together in the first place. Seems to me that target/spencers etc (cheesy tiki) should be the afterthought, not the other way around.

Just my 2 cents.

View Profile of SeekingTiki Send a personal message to SeekingTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kingslod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-01 9:20 pm   Permalink

I think that I agree with Humuhumu. Isn't this forum section called "Collecting Tiki?" That has always implied collecting vintage "collectibles" to me. As opposed to "Buying Tiki" or "Stumbling Across Mass Produced Tiki."

It is kinda weird seeing new items in the Tiki Finds thread.

Huge Magazine's Tiki Collection, Patterns, Pics and Links:
www.hugemagazine.com/html/tiki.html

[ This Message was edited by: kingslod on 2004-08-01 21:25 ]

View Profile of kingslod Send a personal message to kingslod  Email kingslod Goto the website of kingslod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stainless Steel Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-02 08:58 am   Permalink

Why not just create a new thread, "Vintage Tiki Finds" and divide the new from the vintage? Wouldn't that keep all happy?

View Profile of Stainless Steel Tiki Send a personal message to Stainless Steel Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 10:10 am   Permalink

I agree equally with Humu & Kono.

How's that for decisive.

I do think that some finds are just, "hey, look what I found fer a buck, another dozen Leilani's" and they really don't deserve their own topic but it's fun to post anyway. Then there are the Big finds, like the 5ft Tiki I found and I did create a new topic for it.

We could start individual threads such as, "Humuhumu's finds", "Flounder's Finds", "Kono's Finds that are Better than Flounders'", etc.

Just my 2 Z's

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hala bullhiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 11:09 am   Permalink

i understand both sides of the coin, but either way, ill sift thru every thread i can every day to check out all the finds .

View Profile of hala bullhiki Send a personal message to hala bullhiki  Email hala bullhiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 3:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-02 10:10, Feelin' Zombified wrote:

We could start individual threads such as, "Humuhumu's finds", "Flounder's Finds", "Kono's Finds that are Better than Flounders'", etc.

Just my 2 Z's

-Z

I kinda think that this might be the right track if something does have to chage. It has worked really well in the Creating forum I think.
Then people could post whatever in their ind. thread. hOwever it still does not address the vintage/non-vintage problem.

[ This Message was edited by: tikisobayli on 2004-08-02 15:35 ]

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 4:23 pm   Permalink

This is how the front page breaks down by thread by my count:

Misc (Tiki swap meet, how to display mugs...)
5 threads

New Tiki but not chain store (Hale Tiki, Shag, Disney etc)
8 threads

Retail Chain store tiki (Target etc)
11 threads

Vintage Tiki (incl the Tiki Finds)
11 threads

Ebay
15 threads

I wouldn't mind seeing all the ebay posts go into one thread. (Actually wouldn't mind seeing them go away completely...but I understand some people like them) Especially since the old posts tend to have dead links, dead pic links.

Actually I think everything's pretty hunky dory the way it is. Old tiki, new tiki, it's all good to me.

The question is: Will locking the "Tiki Finds" thread encourage more individual vintage tiki find threads? I don't think it will have a significant effect. I wonder that many who post in the TF thread just won't post at all. It was created as a brag board (see first posting of TF) and is kind of fun for that purpose.

Other boards with mega threads will lock them periodically (like after 20 pages) and start again. For example, "Members Photos 1" followed by 2, 3 and so on. I'd like to see something like that for the TF thread to make it easier to navigate and find what you're looking for (since search function doesn't give you a page).

Now if the real problem is feelings that "there's just too much talk about Target" then I don't know what to tell those of you who feel that way. I just hope this isn't the beginning of a "there's too many new members and things aren't what they used to be" type movement that tends to sprout around here on occasion.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI TROY
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-08-02 7:49 pm   Permalink

Why not just add a forum for Polynesian pop collecting and recent finds?

This way you can keep this forum intact to allow other's to know about a new find, before it gets bought up by Ebay sellers!

I am sure a lot of us love to own vintage items, but can't afford vintage prices!

View Profile of TIKI TROY Send a personal message to TIKI TROY      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 8:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-02 08:58, Stainless Steel Tiki wrote:
Why not just create a new thread, "Vintage Tiki Finds" and divide the new from the vintage? Wouldn't that keep all happy?

I agree with the new guy, Why not make separate threads:

"Collecting New Tiki" (post your finds in retail stores)

"Collecting vintage Tiki" (post your finds from estate sales, thrift stores, etc."

"Ebay Tiki" (post your finds here... threads will be erased after 90 days, add a picture should be encouraged)

Oh and possibly a Swap Shop area forum.

Just a thought.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
www.unklejohn.com

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John on 2004-08-02 20:23 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation