FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Whaddya think about posting Tiki Finds individually?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Whaddya think about posting Tiki Finds individually?
vwtikigirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 9:16 pm   Permalink

I believe the whole point that humuhumu was trying to make is that vintage pieces should not be grouped all in one. That way interesting history and discussions can be brought up about different artifacts. By puting everything in one thread I believe we are discouraging discussion.

I understand where people are coming from saying they want to collect things that are easier to find. What I have to say to that is why not support the tiki artists of today. Rather than buy spencer's or target items why not buy items from tiki farm, munktiki, bosko, tiki diablo, gecko or many others. There is a huge amount of exceptional art out there.

vw

View Profile of vwtikigirl Send a personal message to vwtikigirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-02 11:00 pm   Permalink

Tiki Finds has always been one of my favorite topics and I would hate to have to scrounge through the rest of the collecting tiki to keep up with everyone's lastest thrift and antique finds - I say keep it in one topic - I'd have to agree that many of my tiki finds are not worthy of their own topic and I feel like they wouldn't capture much attention! Personally I just avoid those topics that include the words Marshall's, Target, etc. - when I want to hear about everyone's vintage finds I go right to Tiki Finds!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 12:34 pm   Permalink

I definitely don't have any interest in decreasing the discussion of new items--I'll say it again, I know these items are of interest to a number of people, or else the posts wouldn't be there. I'm only thinking of ways to stimulate more discussion of the vintage items, and I'm sure no one here would say that vintage items are discussed too heavily.

The point about the casualness of the Tiki Finds thread is well taken. I can understand the desire to put up a simple brag post. Maybe it's just me, but I can't think of any vintage items that are truly not worth discussing--they all have a history, who made it, where it came from, who purchased it... these are the things that make vintage items so interesting, and why it's frustrating to me to see things in Tiki Finds that I would love to hear more about.

Kono, if you don't mind my using your example: You can't assume that everyone knows what a Mr. Bali Hai mug is--new people are joining us all the time. Plus, there are things I don't know about Mr. Bali Hai--what is the name of the person who designed him? What company manufactured him? What year was he first introduced? What is the difference between the concave & flat-based ones? Where did your particular Mr. Bali Hai go home to--did you find it in a thrift shop in San Diego, or did he manage to trek to Chicago?

Buying one single Mr. Bali Hai probably doesn't justify its own thread, but a thread focused just on Mr. Bali Hai discussion with multiple brag posts and the opportunity to discuss the history a little about a type of mug or other item makes sense to me. That way, every time someone wants to brag about a Mr. Bali Hai purchase, it bumps up the thread, provides another view of the mug (all mugs differ at least a little), renews the discussion of the mug, and educates people who didn't know the history. Some of these threads already exist, and my thought was that by locking Tiki Finds, hopefully it wouldn't stop the brag posts, but encourage the brag posts to just go in more focused threads with room for discussion. That's what happened in Creating Tiki--after locking the Carving Post thread, people started posting more about carvings, not less.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 1:16 pm   Permalink

Is it possible to take the idea of three separate threads one step further and make three "sub-forums" instead, each with their own threads about individual items?

A "Vintage Tiki Finds" sub-forum could have threads about Mr. Bali Hai, Tiki Bob, and so on; A "Recent Tiki Finds" sub-forum could contain threads on Target, TJ Maxx, Spencers; and an "eBay Tiki" sub-forum would be just that: eBay auction announcements. (eBay purchases would be posted on the "Vintage/Recent Finds" accordingly). The rest of the Collecting Tiki forum would include such things as mug displaying, trading/swapping, and "New Tiki" - Gecko, Flounder, TikiFarm, Shag, etc. (These shouldn't be in included in Tiki Finds anyhow, since no one is actually finding these things - their availability is well announced and advertised.)

As far as what to do with the current "Tiki Finds" thread, I'm sure that since Hanford has the ability to "merge" similar threads, there is also the ability to divide threads: Sort the current "Tiki Finds" thread into it's proper 'sub-forums' and get rid of it entirely!

Will that work? Maybe?
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 5:29 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu - I see what you're saying about sub-categories and I'd have to agree it would be great ways to spark conversation about vintage items! But please, don't lock Tiki Finds - for those vintage items found in the wild that don't warrant a lot of discussion.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-03 6:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-03 12:34, Humuhumu wrote:

Buying one single Mr. Bali Hai probably doesn't justify its own thread, but a thread focused just on Mr. Bali Hai discussion with multiple brag posts and the opportunity to discuss the history a little about a type of mug or other item makes sense to me. That way, every time someone wants to brag about a Mr. Bali Hai purchase, it bumps up the thread, provides another view of the mug (all mugs differ at least a little), renews the discussion of the mug, and educates people who didn't know the history.

I like the idea of these theme threads quite a bit. Why not start some right now? A Bali Hai thread. A Trader's Vic thread. An Orchids of Hawaii thread. Do it like those theme threads over in Creating Tiki.

Bali Hai thread: Post all your Bali Hai finds here. New finds, old favorites, whatever you've got from the Bali Hai that you'd like to share. Ashtrays, mugs, menus, postcards. Show off your collection!

I bet that would work. I'd post in threads like that. Then you'd have a thread, as you stated, where you could brag on finds, show off treasured items, ebay steals, ask questions, discuss the company/restaurant history. That would be very cool IMHO. Kind of like that big Coco Joes/HIP thread a while back but with more of an ongoing life.

Some possible themes (off the top of my head): Bali Hai, Trader Vics, Tiki Gardens, Menus, Treasure Craft, Salt and Pepper Shakers, Orchids of Hawaii, Paul Marshall, carved wooden tikis, carved masks, tiki lamps, black velvets, polynesian paintings...the possibilities are endless.

I like this idea!

If you start four or five such threads then others will probably start some of their own. I'd start some but I don't have much Pied Piper appeal around here. My "Ebay Steals" thread fizzled in mere nanoseconds.

Do it Humuhumu or someone else. I'll contribute. I like to show off my collection.

It would be nice if the Tiki Finds thread could be broken up as the basis for these individual threads but I think most of the TF posts have a variety of found items only related by being tiki or polynesian.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation