FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps- Some of the Lamps I'll Have at Tiki Oasis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
Kahaka's Tapa Tiki Lamps- Some of the Lamps I'll Have at Tiki Oasis
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-02-11 6:33 pm   Permalink

That looks beautiful! That lamp would really catch a person's eye with all of the details.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-02-12 1:08 pm   Permalink

Lovin' the tutorial!

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 12:28 pm   Permalink

Inspiring as always.....

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 5:05 pm   Permalink

Can't get any better.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-13 7:04 pm   Permalink

Now your giving away all your secrets, looks great!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 4:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words ya'll!

Next up... Edging. I use this woven material found at Oceanic Arts and Benson's.

I iron it flat before hot gluing it on. I iron it again after I've glued it to spread the glue around and to get a tight fight around the bamboo.

Custom Tapa Swag Lamps and Sconces Built By Kahaka

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 4:12 pm   Permalink

Then I coat the bamboo with a few coats of this matte clear to bring out the color in it and to protect it.

And that's a wrap! Lotsabamboo with the Shipwheel Resin Bottom, headed to Texas.

Mahalo!
Woody

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-14 6:30 pm   Permalink

Regardless of the fact that you sign your posts "Woody" I never put it together that you were the same Woody that is Notch's friend until recently.

Yes...I catch on quick!

Awesome lamps as usual. Crazy how much work you put into these things but man does it pay off in the end!

[ This Message was edited by: SandraDee 2014-02-14 18:30 ]

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Tonie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-02-14 8:01 pm   Permalink

Wow, they're all so awesome!!!! Do you do any table lamps?

View Profile of Tiki Tonie Send a personal message to Tiki Tonie  Email Tiki Tonie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-15 10:39 am   Permalink

Hey thanks SandraDee... ya Nacho is one of my best buds. I taught him everything he knows (ya right!). Ha. Do you live in San Jose?

Tonie... Thanks! I've only made one table lamp... It was made from a Suffering Bastard bottle I found at TJ Maxx and converted it into a lamp. My wife keeps telling me to make floor lamps, but I've never gotten around to it. I like makin' the hangers!

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-15 10:45 am   Permalink

The step by step is very informative ! You must have a ton of patience !!! I love your lamps !!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoriLovesTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-15 4:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the step-by-step instructions! Maybe one day I'll give making my own lamp a try. If I do you'll get all the credit and I will only construct for my personal use.

View Profile of LoriLovesTiki Send a personal message to LoriLovesTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-15 6:47 pm   Permalink

Another home run! Looking forward to more step-by steps.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPops
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-18 3:49 pm   Permalink

Hey Woody,

Great step by step. The resin tips were great, but the best tip was ironing the trim to get it flat & spread out the glue. Guess I'll be thrift store shopping for an old iron next time out.

View Profile of TikiPops Send a personal message to TikiPops  Email TikiPops     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-02-19 06:02 am   Permalink

Great stuff! I may give up on trying to recreate a UFO shell lamp and get you to make me one for the Hideaway instead.

Do the resin pieces ever come out? DO you rough up the wood to help them grip in there?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation