FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A small carving and a Memorial project
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 9:40 pm   Permalink

Hey 8ft- very cool Blue Moai! ...and I wouldn't worry about that crack - it works well for the mystique in my opinion!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 9:58 pm   Permalink

Great work Mr. 8 foot! It looks at home all varnished up in the flowerbed. Blue is awesome!

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 12:20 am   Permalink

Looks Great, 8Ft. I Really love the Blue dye or stain. Itmakes it unique and different. Way to go.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 08:41 am   Permalink

I don't think the cracks could be more perfectly placed- the one on his forehead adds more to his facial expression even..

Great job- cool color.

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 08:50 am   Permalink

8 Ft.,

I hate it when my tikis crack. Over the years, I have found that if you water your tikis periodically, it seems to eliminate much of the cracking. At the first notice of checking I will whip out the garden hose and give the tiki a good soaking. It is pretty cool, when they are soaking, the wood will snap back into place and fizz. It is almost like the tiki is talking to you, especially after a few beers.

The day before sealing I like to give the tiki one last soak. The next day the surface is usually dry and ready to go. It is my belief that if you let the tiki dry slowly over time, it will eliminate much of the cracking.

But then again what do I know, I am just a crazy chainsaw artist.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-25 1:46 pm   Permalink

Merry Christmas to all!!
Just thought I would share a few pics of my tiki Christmas gifts.

First is a keychain, eraser heads and a set of koolie cups. My little girl said I needed those to keep my (beverage)
cool while I am outside carving. Ain't that sweet!

Next is an awesome new shirt. It reads: Skipper Kent's Zombie Village. Love it! Also 2 very old large Buck Bros. gouges. Man did I need those!

Finally an old bent gouge and...my first angle grinder and a new Arbortech wheel kit. If I don't kill myself with these I will be saving some real time in the prep stages of each new carving. Can't wait to try them out.

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Hopefully someone who loves you got you a cool tiki gift too.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-26 7:01 pm   Permalink

Those gouges are AWSOME! And you've gotta show me how that Arbortech wheel works! (Probably oughta do that before we open the rum!)

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-27 05:23 am   Permalink

Awesome gifts. I got the arbortech wheel too...had to try it out right away. Its fun, but evil. It really takes the wood away, fast. maybe its because i had too much rum?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-27 12:58 pm   Permalink

8Ft, Santa Was Very nice to you with all those toolz, SCORE!! Those 2 Buck Brothers are Excellent gouges called Incannel gouges. Notice the bevel is on the Inside made that way for creating Outside bevels such as the rounded edge of a tabletop and such.
http://www.inthewoodshop.org/2005/chisels.shtml You will find some uses for carving with them but Might want to switch the bevel to the other side. If so just do it carefully so you don't lose the temper of the metal.
Nice.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2005-12-27 13:12 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-28 05:40 am   Permalink

I Agree with Aaron, I Love the vibrant blue stain. Is it waterbased, Alcohol, or oil based???. I guess I have to be brave and try some too. The look is awesome.

8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-31 9:44 pm   Permalink

Hey Loki, I see what you mean. I used the new angle grinder with the arbortech wheel for the first time today. What a time saver. I am sure that I will be much more confident in my ability to control it as opposed to a chain saw or Lancelot. For anyone who has not seen this tool work in person, I give you my word that you WILL be glad you have this in your tool box. I will still be a chisel man but this is a very helpful assistant for lining out things and saving time in removing wood where you are sure you just need to get some depth fast. I am very pleased with it and if you have about $50 you can get the grinder and wheel kit.
Mine came from Harbor Freight. Good luck, be safe and have fun!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 2:17 pm   Permalink

I think I mentioned earlier that I had gotten some logs from a Black Walnut tree this summer. I have some photos to share and although I am not finished with the first carving, I decided to go ahead and post what I have done so far.

This tree was about 30 feet tall and was on the bank of a creek. It was healthy but fell during a storm.
Here my brother in law and I decide where to make the cuts.

There is a lot of curve to the branches so I had to be realistic about how long a length I could get without too many twists and turns. We had a lot of 1-2 foot pieces to stack and I got 3 good sized logs in the 4-7 foot range.
I applied the Woodcraft Green wood end sealer (liquid wax) on the cut ends and this seems to be a very good product.

As many of you know, the heartwood of Black Walnut is a beautiful dark brown color. But you may not know that just under the bark is a layer of the newest wood which is a layer of white. What I have tried to do with this log is to utilize some of that outer 1/2 inch of lighter wood in the various high points and to provide some contrast.

I expected to remove the lower 12 inches or so during the carving process due to the curve. The top of the head was a feature I took my time deciding how to finish. I knew I wanted a headdress of sorts and this is meant to represent a feather or leaf type headdress.

I had not worked on this for over a month due to snow and or cold temps until yesterday when I was able to spend several hours outside. When you get a New Years day in the 50's here in this part of the country, you had better take advantage of it! This log is still very wet inside so I am going to let it dry naturally outside until I feel it is ready to be treated. It sure is a very solid, heavy wood and has been great to work with. I am very happy that it has not cracked and doesn't splinter much either.

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 2:35 pm   Permalink

Very Cool Start!!! I gotta tell you I Really Like the Curve!!! Thanks for posting pic's!!! I hope the weather stays nice cause I can't wait to see your progress!!!
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 2:55 pm   Permalink

Oh man, i really dig the curves. It really gives it Moxie! Lookin' good my friend. Stay warm.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 3:24 pm   Permalink

I really like the two tone on this one. Nice carving too, very clean, Well done

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation