FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A small carving and a Memorial project
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 6:57 pm   Permalink

Way to go 8FT, that is wicked. I know all too well how difficult working with wood like that can be. It looks magnificent though! Any ideas on a stain treatment?

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-02 9:22 pm   Permalink

8 FT., you really worked the layers well on this tiki. I have the same issues with a redwood log I've just started. It's tough because the sapwood isn't always the same depth throughout the length of the log. Well, you know what I'm talking about. I really like that headpiece.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 05:34 am   Permalink

NICE Tiki there 8Ft. You handled the outer layer beautifully to get the 2 tone effect throughout the whole piece, not an easy tas.
I'm very envious of yout Walnut tree score. SCORE! Been working on it for a Month you say?? You have been holding out on us, haven't you now..I'll expect to see a Whole slew of Black Walnut carvings in the near future from you. Way to GO.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 3:21 pm   Permalink

Looks really neat. With that two tone just a clear finish would be perfect.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 5:03 pm   Permalink

Hey 8 ft, that really is a cool piece. That IS some fine 2-tone work you have going there!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 10:15 pm   Permalink

Neat piece...Black walnut smells cool, too, when you carve it, doesn't it?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 11:48 pm   Permalink

Wow 8Ft! That took some serious attention, if you went just a bit too deep anywhere on the outer layer you wouldn't get a second chance. I'm impressed and the curve is cool.

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-04 5:38 pm   Permalink

That's looking GREAT! You've done a lot in just a weekend! Ya know, it's gonna be like 65 on Saturday! Bet I know what you're going to be doing! Sure wish I could get started on one.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-06 08:05 am   Permalink

Aloha 8ft Tiki!!!!
That is a very nice tiki that you carved!!
I am enveious that you found that nice wood to carve. Keep having fun carving thats what its all about!
Aloha for now your friend,Mooney!!

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 11:33 pm   Permalink

The contrasting colors from JUST the wood really make this a unique and special piece.

Add to that the way you managed to "carve with the flow" of the wood, and that's one nice tiki!

Nice nice

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alldo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-10 10:11 pm   Permalink

Nice job on making the different colors work with each other. The way that the colors work with and against each other is abstract in a way. Painters used to use this as a way to distract the viewer from seeing the obvious and to invite the imagination to see what it wanted to see. Art is in the eye.........you know what I mean. Keep up the good work......Alldo

View Profile of Alldo Send a personal message to Alldo  Email Alldo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 07:35 am   Permalink

I hear that black walnut is the absolute best for carving and sculpting.
Keep up the good work 8 foot.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 5:13 pm   Permalink

Happy New Year one and all! I thank you for the replies to this walnut tiki I am working on now. Since my last photos were added I have done a couple of more details to it. Now all I need is a good weather day for the finishing touches.
The forecast isn't too bad so by the end of the weekend I may have it ready for the installation! Drop in on me again soon for more photos.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 3:31 pm   Permalink

Thanks to an unseasonally warm January day I have finished the detail work I was doing and got a couple of coats of sealer on the carving. In order to make the eyebrows show up better I used a walnut stain and then wiped off the excess. For the areas around the mouth, between the teeth and headress I used it full strength and did not remove the excess. This is what gave it the darker look in those places.

OK now here is where I would like your opinions. I thought I might like the look of a headband below the actual headress so while carving I tossed around some ideas on how to achieve this. I concluded that the best way I could do this would be to find a belt and wrap it around the forehead. I knew I wanted something that looked woven and since it is going to be outside in the elements, a synthetic instead of a leather belt. So I checked the thrift stores until I found this black belt. Ever seen a tiki with a black belt? He doesn't have arms or legs so I don't know how dangerous he is as a black belt. Anyway, look at the first photo and the last two and tell me if you think it looks better with or without the headband belt. Thanks, I am looking forward to your opinions. 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 3:49 pm   Permalink

It came out very nice. I like all the different color stains. You did a great job with the different colors showing the contrast yet keeping the main grain of the log visible.

As far as the belt goes. It looks good either way!
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation