FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A small carving and a Memorial project
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
A small carving and a Memorial project
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 3:56 pm   Permalink

I have seen rope used so why not a belt. I think it looks good and the over all carving looks awesome.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 3:59 pm   Permalink

I called my wife over to check out your pics and we both like your carving without the headband. With the band, from a distance it almost takes on a shriners hat look.

Either way its a killer tiki.

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 5:05 pm   Permalink

It's a super clean tiki. I say lose the belt, it doesn't need it.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 5:17 pm   Permalink

That is wikkid! I agree with AA...I like it best without the belt.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 5:29 pm   Permalink

That's a cool tiki. It's great the way you used the wood color and stain. I like the whole effect.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 12:10 am   Permalink

That turned out just terrific! LOVE the color variations. It has So much character with it's bends and shading. Great work!

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 07:42 am   Permalink

That really turned out AWSOME! It's amazing what you can do with one stain and careful carving! As far as the belt goes, I think I'm leaning toward leaving it off. It hides some of the carving.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 8:24 pm   Permalink

Wow, I didn't realize it had been so long since I had added to this thread. I guess going to Coontiki this spring kind of occupied my carving thoughts on a different level. Here is my Benzart lesson piece from that event.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 8:58 pm   Permalink

8ft,

Nice to see you back. Where you bean? I love what you did with your Benzart lesson. Good stuff! I can't tell who did what. Will you be starting any other projects soon? We wants to see!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 9:55 pm   Permalink

Here are some photos of the carving I just finished working on. I started this 18" walnut piece as something to work on indoors as I watched the month-long World cup soccer tournament. Just used the hook knife set I got for Coontiki. I would probably have finished it sooner but my father died three weeks ago and I haven't felt like doing much besides helping my Mother. I do think it was good therapy for me when I finally picked it up again and finished the final steps. I will always think of my Dad when I look at this little carving. I was on vacation at the time so we were working on the landscaping in his backyard during the days and then I watched soccer games and carved on this during the evenings. If you know my signature pictures, you might recognize this tiki. So here is the finished piece.

Dedicated to my Father. Miss you Dad!

Finished carving, Ready for a light sanding.

Paint for the highlights....

Stained and done.

I tried to keep this pretty true to the 8FT version wherever possible and it turned out pretty close. Thanks for checking it out. Aloha, 8FT Tiki

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-02 10:08 pm   Permalink

It looks like it's much bigger than it is, you've packed in a heap of detail for a small piece. Is the bigger one it's based on posted earlier in this thread? A lot of the images don't seem to work anymore.
Real sorry to hear about your Dad, looks like he was pretty cool.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 3:33 pm   Permalink

That's a beautiful Marquesan, 8ft. Your Dad and Ed Crissman are drinking a toast to you together right now, bra.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 4:58 pm   Permalink

8Ft, So Sorry to hear about your father. We each only get one of those and they are tough to lose. It's nice that you have something that You made that you can remember him with.
That carving is really Excellent. The colors are Perfect too!
On the Benzart Lesson piece, I'm with Gman it that I can't tell which side you did, Very well done!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 9:01 pm   Permalink

Aloha 8 FT. Not knowing your dad, I can look at that picture and imagine what a fine father he is, full of character and good qualities. Beyond that, I can only imagine your loss and feel lucky not to have experienced the loss of a parent just yet. Maybe it was time for you to finish the 8 inch tiki to help you get through it. Whatever the case, it is a fine carving and really reflects its big daddy tiki in a beautiful way.

Take care my friend, and thanks for sharing.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-04 11:07 am   Permalink

That is a nice memorial piece. From the picture of him, it looks like he was at least a little into the tiki scene. You did a great job on it.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation