FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Beyond Tiki ╗ ╗ Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 1:47 pm   Permalink

Keep them coming, I'm loading up my Netflix queue!!!

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DaneTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 2:27 pm   Permalink

Here's 5 that I think everyone should see, but only some do:

1. Le Samourai (Jean-Pierre Melville, 1967)
This is my favorite New Wave/noir film ever. Alain Delon redefines "cool."

2. Underground (Emir Kusturica, 1995)
The best film I've seen so far about the collapse of Eastern European Communism. And it has interesting post-modern things to say about memory, heroism, nationality and ideology.

3. The Criminal Life of Archibaldo De La Cruz (Luis Bu˝uel, 1962)
Of course, everyone should see ALL of Bu˝uel's films, but this one is both accessible and obscure. And funny as hell.

4. The Cockettes (Bill Weber and Dave Weissman, 2002)
This is getting pretty obscure, since I don't think it ever got serious distribution, but it's a great documentary that cuts through a lot of the fog of marketing and politics around San Francisco's gay culture in the 1960s and 1970s.

5. Sonatine (Kitano "Beat" Takeshi, 1993)
Takeshi's "Hana-bi (Fireworks)" is the one that really got him noticed in U.S. art house circles, but I think "Sonatine" best captures his blend of Yakuza violence and absurd, slapstick humor.

Also, as far as "famous" movies, everybody needs to see M (Fritz Lang, 1931), Nosferatu (F. W. Murnau, 1922), Gummo (Harmony Korine, 1997), Videodrome (David Cronenberg, 1983), Dead Man (Jim Jarmusch, 1995), Slacker (Richard Linklater, 1991), The Guns of Navarone (J. Lee Thompson, 1961) and The Apartment (Billy Wilder, 1960) [Has tiki bar scene!]

View Profile of DaneTiki Send a personal message to DaneTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 2:31 pm   Permalink

Hey Jab, FYI - I'm showing DOUBLE INDEMNITY for the first time during my noir fest this year, the link for which I've already posted elswhere around these parts. Its'a great flick though Stanwyck doesn't really do it for me. I prefer Rita Hayworth and Gene Tierney, femme fatale-wise.I'd follow them into Hell for sure.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 2:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for mentioning Guys and Dolls, great colors in it, as well.

Gotta toss out a few more:

Choose Me

Chilly Scenes of Winter

The original Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

The Hunger

Yellow Submarine/Wizards/Fantasia

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-06 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-06 14:31, AquaZombie wrote:
Hey Jab, FYI - I'm showing DOUBLE INDEMNITY for the first time during my noir fest this year, the link for which I've already posted elswhere around these parts. Its'a great flick though Stanwyck doesn't really do it for me. I prefer Rita Hayworth and Gene Tierney, femme fatale-wise.I'd follow them into Hell for sure.

Like Fred MacMurray's character, I have a weakness for anklets! I would follow almost any woman into hell if she were wearing an anklet.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 2:43 pm   Permalink

Neat topic!
In no particular order:
The Outlaw Josey Wales-some of the best lines ever,and Clint at his squinty best.

Citizen Kane-no explanation needed.

Jaws-chewing good fun!

Casablanca-no explanation needed

The Money Pit-a little bit goofy,but some great sight gags and the classic line "You are so much less attractive to me when I'm sober"-"Thank goodness it's not that often".

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 3:00 pm   Permalink

No particular order

Once Upon A Time In The West (Only 15 Pages of dialogue! The scenery and the sounds are major "players". Almost more so than the actors.)

Withnail and I ( I lived by this movie for years, and it made me fall in love with England even more than I was )

Brazil (Brilliant simply brilliant)

Adventures Of Baron Von Munchhausen ( Possibly the top of the list . Theres still some room in this world for cucumber trees. )

Saving Private Ryan ( The most accurate representation of war on film yet.Just besting A Bridge Too Far, and Empire of The Sun )

Just outside the top 5 list, anything Monty Python, Terry Gilliam, JABBERWOCKY, THRONE OF BLOOD, LORD OF THE RINGS TRILOGY, Farenheit 911, and The Stealing of an Election.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 3:20 pm   Permalink

1. Crossroads
2. Glitter
3. Showgirls
4. 2001: A Space Odyssey
5. Gigli

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2004-08-06 3:21 pm   Permalink

This list would probably change if I had more time to think about it. But for now, it's a pretty good list, even though I couldn't stick to just five:

North By Northwest (Hitchcock)
Westside Story
L.A. Confidential
Endless Summer
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Highlander
Room With A View
My Neighbor Totoro

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy on 2004-08-06 15:22 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 3:31 pm   Permalink

My five favorite CHEESY movies:

Valley of the Dolls
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Airport '77
Plan 9 From Outer Space
Soylent Green

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 3:34 pm   Permalink

I don't think that these are the five best movies ever, but they are my five favorites:

Box of Moonlight (Tom DiCillo, 1996)
A sweet, little movie, far from perfect, but wonderful. A lot of parallels between the relationship between Al Fountain & The Kid and my little brother & I. By far my favorite movie, and one of my favorite soundtracks, to boot. I watch it regularly (though the DVD is letterboxed instead of being 16x9 enhanced, darnit!).

Mary Poppins (Robert Stevenson for Walt Disney, 1964)
A representation of everything that Disney was doing right, all in one marvelously entertaining film. Amazing matte artwork by Peter Ellenshaw, catchy and touching music by the Sherman brothers, child actors you don't want to strangle, animated sequences that don't distract or detract from the live action, great comedy from Ed Wynn and Dick Van Dyke, and the enchanting presence and voice of Julie Andrews. An engrossing, well executed (and nice & long) fantasy.

Evil Dead 2 (Sam Raimi, 1987)
If you haven't seen this movie, you have to. Now. Tonight. Go rent it. Have a beer before you watch it. Let yourself giggle. It's okay. You don't need (or even want) to see the first Evil Dead to appreciate it, it stands on its own. If given the opportunity, I would gladly have Bruce Campbell's baby. Groovy.

The Three Caballeros (Norman Ferguson, for Walt Disney, 1944
The Disney Studios went through a very rough period during World War II--in keeping with the many sacrifices made all over the country in those years, the studio was essentially taken over by the military to produce propaganda & training films, and work on full-length features was not possible. The studio turned to packaged films made up of short animated sequences to start to make money again. The US Government also enlisted Disney's help in spreading goodwill south of the US border. The first South American travelogue produced by Disney was called "Saludos Amigos," this is the second one. I could go on and on about all the aspects of this movie that make it a must-see (film of South America & Mexico, Donald Duck at his best, lovely ladies in 40s swimwear, artwork by Mary Blair, "The Coldblooded Penguin," fantastic music), but I'll highlight my favorite: a stunningly gorgeous animated sequence, much in the style of Fantasia, to Bing Crosby singing "Baia."

The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers, 1998)
There's been plenty of discussion about the Big Lebowski here before, so I won't belabor it here, except to point out that this film (besides having the great advantage of being written by the exceedingly clever Coen brothers) has a number of actors that are all capable of excellence, and all of them deliver uncommonly good performances here: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Steve Buscemi, John Goodman, John Turturro, Sam Elliot, and last but not least, a surprisingly different performance by Jeff Bridges. Flea being in it (I've had a bit of a crush for some years now) is just frosting.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 4:29 pm   Permalink

In no particular order:

The Big Labowski
Blade Runner
Aliens
LOR trilogy
Unforgiven

also rans:

Sexy Beast
Blood of Heroes
Endless Summer
Ran
Rocky
Die Hard
Good Fellas

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-08-06 16:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Raffertiki on 2004-08-06 16:30 ]

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 4:38 pm   Permalink

"March Of The Wooden Soldiers" - Laurel & Hardy)

"La Vacance De Monsieur Hulot" ("Mr. Hulot's Holiday") - Jacques Tati

"On Her Majesty's Secret Service"

"Seventh Voyage Of Sinbad"

"A Hard Day's Night"

Also any Hitchcock and all Universal horror flicks.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:07 pm   Permalink

My choices are based on my favorite films to watch over & over. I know I listed 6, but I had no choice:

Alien
Desperado
Young Frankenstein
Three Amigos
A Fish Called Wanda
The Party

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:09 pm   Permalink

Spy-tiki, good call on "A Hard Days Night."

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation