FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Top 5 Films - Your Opinion?
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:20 pm   Permalink

1. The Goonies
2. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
3. Willy Wonka
4. O Brother, where art thou
5. Holy Grail
6. Donovans Reef

www.flounderart.com

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-08-06 17:22 ]

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:24 pm   Permalink

I don't think I can limit it to five, but I've seen every movie I would put in my top ten on these pages so far EXCEPT my number one:

*RUSHMORE*

Otherwise, the rest of the list is filled with the usual, especiallly anything with the words "Coen" or "Gilliam" in the credits.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:28 pm   Permalink

Favorite silly movies:

The Never-ending Story
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
The Goonies
The Princess Bride
Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
101 Dalmatians(1961)

*Side note - I love the character "Cruella" and have an ex vogue model Aunt who looks just like her, but is super nice. She actually has a complex about it, she thinks people will think she's cruel because of the resemblance.

[ This Message was edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-08-06 17:30 ]

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:37 pm   Permalink

Damn Flounder, you're too cool for this school.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 5:58 pm   Permalink

weirdly enough, i just had this conversation with king kukulele just the other week. and if you ever want to talk movies, he is the man.

as for my personal favorites...well like everyone else, i have many! limiting it to just 5 is near impossible. and i have so many guilty pleasures too. okay here goes nothing:

BLACK BELT JONES ~1974~ this is the ultimate blaxploitation movie in my opinion (well, actually its a tough call because Truck Turner is hard to beat with its pimp funeral and all). jim kelly is one karate badass who hoots and hollars while he throws punches at the italian mafia. there are so many inconsitencies in the plot that is makes it hilarious. and trust me, after watching the first 5 minutes with jim kelly beating up chinese henchmen in a parking lot to the tune of dennis coffey's black belt jones theme with spectactular 70's camera work, YOU WILL succumb to the powers of jim kelly too. shhhhhyeah.

RUN LOLA RUN ~1999~ franka potente is my hero. i went through a red phase after seeing this movie. great soundtrack. and i always enjoy the sound effect they used in the movie when she drops the gun in the street.

THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION how can you not like this movie? the ending is so hopeful. whenever it is on, i always get sucked in to watching the entire thing.

YOJIMBO kurosawa's finest piece in my opinion. great to watch in an older theatre with organ...like the stanford. (not too many still exist!)

uh-oh...only one more spot....damn i hate these things! er....eh.....guess i'll have to go with a hitchcock to round it out.

REAR WINDOW this is a tough one to choose...because i reeeally like vertigo as well. but i dig raymond burr, and the whole voyueristic element.

i know in 5 minutes i will be hitting my head against the wall for leaving off some movie....but these are my picks as of august 6th, 2004 at 4:58pm.

mahalo

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
spy-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 6:50 pm   Permalink

While at first wondering how any films made in the last decade or so could be anyone's favorites I thought it might be interesting to include our ages (I'm 47) along with the films. Something about the films you see, when, and their impact on our impressionable minds. So you can forgive someone for saying Terminator 3 or something if they're only 12.

Plus I want to add Black Sunday because it still gives me the creeps.

View Profile of spy-tiki Send a personal message to spy-tiki  Email spy-tiki Goto the website of spy-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 7:11 pm   Permalink

Martiki!

I feel so bad for forgetting Rushmore. It is 10/10 good.

I gotta add Breaking Away, Kingpin, and Happy Gilmore, Bend It Like Beckham - sports movies.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 7:11 pm   Permalink

i LOVE threads like this - i'm always looking for great new (old) movies to check out - thanks for starting the the thread tiki-matt

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 8:36 pm   Permalink

Martiki, you are so right about Rushmore!
Here's mine (no particular order):
-Lawrence of Arabia
-Metropolis
-Singin' In the Rain
-Rushmore
-Duck Soup

Others I just can't ignore: Gone With the Wind, Gilda, My Fair Lady, Flash Gordon (1980-for the cheese factor), Midnight, The King and I, Sunset Blvd ("They didn't need dialogue, they had faces!"), Footlight Parade, Camille 2000, Wonder Man, The Gay Divorcee, Orlando, The Sound of Music, The Fifth Element, Babe....OK, I'll stop now.

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 9:29 pm   Permalink

The top 5:

Dr. Stranglove

Alphaville

The Great Escape

Paths of Glory

Bucket of Blood (Roger Corman; 1 year before and essentially the same plot as the original Little Shop of Horrors)

and while I'm at it:
Throne of Blood
Rashomon
Tampopo
Johnny Stecchino
The Party
Sexy Beast
La Passion de Jeanne d'Arc (1928, Dreyer)
Vampyr
Run Lola Run

Yeah, like anyone can just name 5

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 9:37 pm   Permalink

Oh Crap, I almost forgot Ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal.

(That was actually the film my wife and I saw on our 1st date if you can believe it.)

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-08-06 21:40 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 10:45 pm   Permalink

I based my selections on movies that I can watch over and over again and never get tired of them. When I'm flipping the channels and come across one of these flicks, I will always stop to watch it.

"We're gonna need a bigger boat"

"'cuse me while I whip this out"

"ummmm, brains" The quintessencial zombie movie, with a great ending!

"Some men are Baptists....others are Catholics....my father was an Oldsmobile man."

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Velvet Ruby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 11:05 pm   Permalink

At the moment
let's saaayy by accent? haha
French:
Amelie
Cleo de 5 a 7
Japanese:
High and Low
Wild Zero (Guitar Wolf RULES!)
British:
Funny Bones (I love Lee Evans)
Room with a View
Orlando
American:
Bubba Ho-tep
Kiss me Deadly
Mildred Pierce
Teenage tupelo
Kill Bill (both volumes)
Oh Brother where art thou
Musical:
South Pacific
Flower Drum Song
On the Bandwagon (just for the big dance number at the end)
King Creole (and GI blues because I first watched elvis movies with my dad and we had the record for GI blues)
Buster Keaton in any shape or form
Troma!

that is the absolute most I can narrow it down..

beatgirlart.com

View Profile of Velvet Ruby Send a personal message to Velvet Ruby  Goto the website of Velvet Ruby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 11:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Otherwise, the rest of the list is filled with the usual, especiallly anything with the words "Coen" or "Gilliam" in the credits.

Also anything with "Anderson" in the credits (P.T. or Wes)

Quote:
i LOVE threads like this - i'm always looking for great new (old) movies to check out - thanks for starting the the thread tiki-matt

Your welcome! I thought it would be fun and enlightening. I've seen most of the films mentioned, but there are a few I haven't and will definately be renting. The point was to gear the lists toward the more obscure, older, foreign, etc. films and I think there has been an amazing response!

BTW, just got back from seeing "Collateral" and can honestly say that this and "Ali" are the only two Michael Mann films that haven't blown me away (Didn't see "Mohicans"). It looked good, Jamie Fox was great, but the story kinda sucked - way, way, way too unbelievable. Go rent "Thief", "Manhunter", "Heat", "The Insider" or the TV Series "Crime Story" for Mann at his best...

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2004-08-06 23:15 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Dude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-06 11:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-06 09:20, tiki mick wrote:
The Party
the blues brothers
Boogie Nights
Biloxi Blues
Animal House

Yeah! The Party! I had forgotten...but that movie is a riot...classic Peter Sellers. My sides ache when I watch it! Thanks for remembering that one Tiki Mick!

Also, for me:
Life of Brian
Dr. Zhivago (had a crush on Julie Christie)
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Eraserhead

View Profile of Bamboo Dude Send a personal message to Bamboo Dude      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation