FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 1:58 pm   Permalink

Lookie what came in the mail today!!!!.....

Pretty stoked! Especially since I have a week long meeting at the company I work for coming up and they may (may...it may not) have changed it from Orlando to Miramar (Just south and west a bit from the Mai Kai). The only unfortunate thing is that I may have to drive the round-trip from Port St. Lucie to Lauderdale everyday (They were going to put us up in a hotel in Orlando). Won't be able to make the show, but I could stop by for a cocktail.

Just visited their site, printed the forum and mailed it with 20 bucks. I was expecting to receive a paper membership card, especially since the membership only lasts 6 months, but I am impressed they went with the no-doubtably more costly plastic card embossed with my name.

Two complimentary drink coupons, Two 2for1 admission coupons to the Polynesian Show and 25% off Ala Carte Menu items (if you spend $500 between now and Aug 31, you receive 50% off from Sept. 1 to Dec. 1)...plus a cool plastic membership card. Even if you're only planning on visiting once sometime during the rest of the year, this is well worth the $20.

Now if i could only board a time machine and get a membership to the Playboy Club in Miami in the '60s....

howlinowl

(edited to correct spelling)

[ This Message was edited by: howlinowl 2014-06-10 14:00 ]

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaukaHale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-10 6:22 pm   Permalink

Also, during happy hour in the Molokai Bar, all drinks and appetizers are half price.

View Profile of MaukaHale Send a personal message to MaukaHale      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-14 09:32 am   Permalink

Breaking news: As a Hukilau exclusive, old "retired" food and drink menus as well as a small amount of the new drink menu are being sold in the gift shop at The Mai-Kai. First-come, first-served tonight and tomorrow.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-06-14 09:48 am   Permalink

I look forward to seeing these $20 menus appearing on eBay for $60!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-16 1:10 pm   Permalink

At Hukilau I dug into the old building north of the valet stand and directly across from the Mai-Kai main entrance. It was the original gift shop, but lately has seen a fair amount of activity, mostly as a store room. There has been quite a bit of speculation as to what's going on. I crossed the chain and took photos yesterday. Yes, a number of old chairs are stored in there, along with some other stuff. A couple other guys who were walking around the building heard, and told me, that they heard it was going to be turned into -- wait for it -- a tiki cigar lounge. I didn't see any evidence of any real "work" being done in there, although there were a couple saw horses set up, and clearly someone was using the space as a sort of workshop to cut some wood.

I asked Pia about the space later that evening, and also about the "cigar lounge." Her exact words to me were, "Hahahaha, that's the first I've heard of that! Nope, we don't have any plans for it in the near future. But maybe later. Nothing is planned right now."

I took some pics yesterday and will post them here soon.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-17 01:57 am   Permalink

My favorite photo that I took at The Hukilau: Crazy Al and Beachbum Berry in The Mai-Kai's tiki garden on Sunday ...

On Saturday, The Hukilau and artist Jeff Chouinard presented owner Dave Levy with one of Chouinard's tikis, which will get a special home inside The Mai-Kai. That's manager Kern Mattei at left channeling King Kukulele ...

Levy then got a mystery dance in honor of his birthday (with Crazy Al helping out on percussion) ...

Earlier, Al showed off his Molokai Maiden mug (coming soon from Swank Pad Productions) next to the real deal ...

And the memorable evening ended with the Sweet Hollywaiians from Japan performing a rare set on the main showroom stage ...

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 10:08 am   Permalink

Not a smoker, but that cigar bar idea sounds interesting.

How about a Mai Kai museum, guys?

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 11:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-17 10:08, EPCOTExplorer wrote:

There is already one of those..... Its located at 3599 N Federal Highway.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-17 1:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If it was a tax write-off, it could work. Plenty of images around and certainly lots of pieces from mugs and menus to old signs and costumes. Celebrities and videos.

The Bum bought a bunch of the chairs that were being stored there for Latitude 29.

I have heard the plans, but I think the final plan is still being debated.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-18 12:01 am   Permalink

Not a lot is written about this, but apparently much of the Thornton brothers' original collection of Polynesian artifacts was donated to their alma mater, Stanford University, in the 1970s after it was deemed to be too valuable to be displayed in the restaurant. Part of the collection was donated to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art. It was last displayed in an exhibit there in 2011.

EPCOTExplorer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-18 1:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-06-18 00:01, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
Not a lot is written about this, but apparently much of the Thornton brothers' original collection of Polynesian artifacts was donated to their alma mater, Stanford University, in the 1970s after it was deemed to be too valuable to be displayed in the restaurant. Part of the collection was donated to the Fort Lauderdale Museum of Art. It was last displayed in an exhibit there in 2011.

Whoa! What's happened to it, since?!

Quote:

On 2014-06-17 11:59, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

There is already one of those..... Its located at 3599 N Federal Highway.

Good point.

Quote:

On 2014-06-17 13:03, Swanky wrote:
Quote:

If it was a tax write-off, it could work. Plenty of images around and certainly lots of pieces from mugs and menus to old signs and costumes. Celebrities and videos.

The Bum bought a bunch of the chairs that were being stored there for Latitude 29.

I have heard the plans, but I think the final plan is still being debated.

I'm getting my MA in history…. maybe I can help out. heheh.

View Profile of EPCOTExplorer Send a personal message to EPCOTExplorer  Goto the website of EPCOTExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 1:30 pm   Permalink

Stop me if you've heard this one.

An architectural photographer walks into the Mai Kai . .

All taken by me during Hukilau 2014. WHAT AN AMAZING PLACE!

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-19 1:40 pm   Permalink

Wow!!! These are some of the best photos of the Mai Kai I've seen. Thanks!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 4:40 pm   Permalink

whoa.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ragbag Comics
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-19 5:05 pm   Permalink

WOAH!

Thank you so much for these... we have been to the Mai Kai a bunch of times, and our pictures
on our crappy point-and-click are always dark and blurry... I'm gonna swipe these riiiiight.... now.

--Pete

View Profile of Ragbag Comics Send a personal message to Ragbag Comics  Goto the website of Ragbag Comics     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation