FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Mai Kai, Fort Lauderdale, FL (restaurant)
definitedoll

Posted: 2007-04-05 08:11 am   Permalink

and did you see on their web site that they now have a "Mai Kai" club and for $15.00 you can get alot of stuff like food and drink discounted??

it's a good deal if you live down near there!

View Profile of definitedoll Send a personal message to definitedoll      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
definitedoll

Posted: 2007-04-05 08:25 am   Permalink

Just wanted to add that back in the time i went to the Mai Kai, there was no gift shop.
I had gotten some free post cards from them, those extra long ones and i had one on my bulletin board for some years!!!

we had those cute little matches in boxes they were blue back then...

and the prices for the Mai Kai back then were a bit above the average restaurant....because.....well.... this is not the average restaurant!

I believe my Pineapple with juice in it was about $3.25 for that time..

ah the memories!!!

View Profile of definitedoll Send a personal message to definitedoll      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 08:54 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai used to issue "credit cards" and you could buy your drinks and food on credit from them. The Membership Card is probably and long standing thing.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
definitedoll

Posted: 2007-04-06 06:48 am   Permalink

No, it's true!

just go to their website and check out and click on the "Mai Kai Club" flower...

I would probably sign up if i lived near there!!

It's discounts on food and drink during certain times.

lafeayette

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:16 pm   Permalink

I went to Mai Kai 2 years ago for my friend's birthday. We had a good time and we all enjoyed it. I decided to go this saturday april 14th for my 25th birthday. However I have been reading reviews online and have recieved an equal amount of good and bad reviews. I remember that the food wasnt so bad and i found the price to be decent. I am a little worried now becuase I am going with a party of 18 and I am concerned with how we will be seated and the price and if the food is small portions or big portions like cheesecake factory. I remember I had fish and the hawaiian rice but don't remember if I had left overs. I do remember that I didn't complain and I was full. Any tips you can give me? or help me refresh my memory?! thanks!

View Profile of lafeayette Send a personal message to lafeayette      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 04:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-11 21:16, lafeayette wrote:
... I decided to go this saturday april 14th for my 25th birthday.

Happy Birthday Early. The good news is if you tell them its your birthday they wont gather all the wait staff around you and sing you some horrible version of the song with clapping and serving-ware banging in a cup. The bad news is there is really no bad news so I probably shouldn't have started this idea with "The Good News Is....."

Quote:

I remember that the food wasnt so bad and i found the price to be decent. ...big portions like cheesecake factory....

The Mai-Kai has been around for 50 years and has figured out a thing of two. And, using fighting words like the big CF is enough to get the locals all fired up. Just remember, this is dinner theatre with a heavy dose of luxury. Where else these days do you get greeted by your host, seated by lovely maidens, have your menus presented and order taken by your table captian. This is not just a mere restaurant, this is an experience in dinning.

Quote:
... I remember I had fish and the hawaiian rice but don't remember if I had left overs. I do remember that I didn't complain and I was full. Any tips you can give me? or help me refresh my memory?! thanks!

The Grouper and Mahi are both wonderful. The Mandarin Pressed Duck or Orange Papaya Duck are both great if you want something different. The Chinese Oven steaks are absolutely magical, I won't even begin to try and describe them beyond Yummy. Andy's favorite is the vanilla Lobster (I think it is listed as Lobster Tahitian, look for the one in the vanilla sauce). Just remember, there is a whole page of Chinese food on the menu, but the Mai-Kai is not a Chinese restaurant. Allow me to put it this way, a change of reference, a different point of view:

When you enter the Mai-Kai, you are transported to far-away islands in forgotten times, where lovely maidens bring you your drinks and the food is fabulous in presnetation and taste. Allow the music and magic of the Islanders Review entertain you while you eat, and then allow the beauty of the gardens to take your cares away during an after-dinner stroll. (And like Sonny says in the show, don't forget to visit the gift shop...)

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-21 3:10 pm   Permalink

im looking for pictures of t-shirts
from the maikai-giftshop.

how many different t-shirts did they ever made ?

do they have new t-shirt-motives every few months ?

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 10:34 am   Permalink

hot DAMN! that is one sweet giftshop!

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 3:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-21 15:10, icebaer69 wrote:
im looking for pictures of t-shirts
from the maikai-giftshop.

how many different t-shirts did they ever made ?

do they have new t-shirt-motives every few months ?

I can't really help you with the t-shirt questions. Of all the times I've been in the gift shop, I honestly haven't paid that much attention to the t-shirts. The Mai-Kai web site no longer has an online gift shop, but
here is a link to their gift shop pages that are no longer linked to their site. There are some t-shirt pictures you can check out.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
icebaer69
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-22 4:05 pm   Permalink

thank you for the link !
none of the shirts there were in the giftshop
when i was there in february (or i didnt see them ?).

i only found and bought this shirt:

not good that their shoppages are not linked to the main site.

somebody should help them to redesign the whole website,
because it doesnt do justice to this beautiful place !

View Profile of icebaer69 Send a personal message to icebaer69      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 09:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-06-17 07:39, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-06-17 06:44, claudia1214 wrote:
... The only thing that turned me off was the condition of the entrance way. It still has the blue tarp. ...

It is a work in progress. The structure of the place is 50 years old and the local building inspectors wanted to see the super-structure of the place before they would sign off on building permits. The only way to get at that stuff was to basically take all of the roof off of the drive way.

The good news is all of the permits have been approved and now it is just a matter of getting workers in place. That sounds easy, but so much of our workforce has gone upstate and into the Gulf states for post Hurricane Katrina rebuilding. Workers qualified to do that kind of work are scarce at the moment.

Once the work begins I will get some progress pictures to share.

Is there any news on the roof repairs? Every time I go, I cross my fingers that the valet covering will be restored to its former thatch-covered glory, but it's still an old tarp. Are they still fighting red tape?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 2:05 pm   Permalink

I noticed this last visit (for Hukilau), the giftshop was out of Mai Kai mugs and Rum Barrel mugs. They only had the standard Tiki Farm mugs. They were also not serving the Rum Barrel in the mug this time. Don't know if they were out of stock or quit using them or what.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-21 3:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-21 14:05, Digitiki wrote:
I noticed this last visit (for Hukilau), the giftshop was out of Mai Kai mugs and Rum Barrel mugs. They only had the standard Tiki Farm mugs. They were also not serving the Rum Barrel in the mug this time. Don't know if they were out of stock or quit using them or what.

The Mai-Kai looses to breakage,field collection and sales as many as a dozen a night so they order them cases at a a time. The vendor they use for the Rum Barrels (I don't think it is Tikifarm, Holden can confirm) has not been able to keep up with the demand.

That is the same reason for the limited selection of mugs in the gift shop.

Hazel says they are (have?) shopped around for new or other vendors but I was drinking at the time so I can't recal the final outcome of the quest....

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leisure master
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 05:56 am   Permalink

Whew - I am glad to find out the Rum Barrel shortage is a temporary thing.

One of my biggest regrets (of the things I can remember) from Hukilau 2006 was not buying a rum barrel mug - I went to the Mai Kai this year with the intention of getting one.

I guess its just another excuse to get back to FLL and the Mai Kai....

View Profile of leisure master Send a personal message to leisure master  Email leisure master     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-06-22 06:17 am   Permalink

Yeah, they lose 300 rum barrels a month at the Mai Kai. That's a lot of mugs! It just happened that Hukilau happened when they were out and the shipment had not arrived.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation