FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Ultra lounge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Ultra lounge
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-22 8:19 pm   Permalink

I WAS going to show you my new "heliocar," but if you want to get back on the main thread, fine! I'll just put it back! Humph!

Shipwreckjoey -- I have Space Capades and Organs in Orbit -- I could give you, um, "evaluation" copies, if you'd like. If you let me have your Fishermen's Burlesque for a weekend, that is ....

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 09:31 am   Permalink

Satan, the best "moderne" song on these is found on "spacecapades"

David Rose "gay spirits"

I listen to that one when I want to meditate on the modern conveniences and modern appliances and modern highways of the golden space/atomic age!!

Organs in orbit is a great one too, possibly my favorite besides Bongoland....the Jackie Davis song "love is just around the corner" gives me goosebumps!!

The only thing missing from these fine dics is Mancini!!!!!!!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 10:10 am   Permalink

Totally agree, tiki mick -- on ALL counts.

Was at a friend's party and the most wonderful music was playing -- checked the CD and it was "Henry Mancini's Greatest Hits." Gonna have to break down and get it!

Hey, if you like this sort of music, check this out:

http://www.archive.org/movies/details-db.php?collection=prelinger&collectionid=08271a

(at least listen to the opening sequence)

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 10:49 am   Permalink

Satan, I would recommend this one: mancini "combo"

It was a non soundtrack record he made....

You will dig it if you like Jazz harpsichord and jazz marimba!!!!

"Playboy's theme" is the one track from this that is used on a few mancini compilation albums....

it's the swanky-est, swinging-est album in my extensive collection!!

Straight up martini music!!!!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 1:02 pm   Permalink

"The Party" soundtrack is an awsome Mancini event.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-23 1:44 pm   Permalink

These rec.s sound great -- and lord knows I'm always up for a martini!!!

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 01:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-08-22 20:19, Satan's Sin wrote:
Shipwreckjoey -- I have Space Capades and Organs in Orbit -- I could give you, um, "evaluation" copies, if you'd like. If you let me have your Fishermen's Burlesque for a weekend, that is ....

You're on!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-24 07:11 am   Permalink

I just got my first Martin Denny. It's the Exotic Sounds of Martin Denny in the Ultra Lounge series. I love it! Diga Diga Doo is the coolest song ever made.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 10:05 am   Permalink

Actually, scratch my previous comment - some of those compilations sound terrific! Why wait?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-25 7:55 pm   Permalink

I have about 10 or so of the series with Space Capades being my fave. I also like to put the Vegas disc on endless repeat in the restroom when hosting a party. I always get questioned about it.

Don't forget, Mrs. Miller has a compilation disc in the Ultra Lounge series too.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-20 09:59 am   Permalink

I love Ultra Lounge. Gheeeez...I never knew they had a tiki cd. Just ordered it....and also never knew they had a sight....duh!!! With all my googling you's think I would have figured that out years ago, thanks for the link.

Is anyone here into Michael Buble? I have seen him in concert twice now and he is just fantastic.

EDITS...I can't type today!!!

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-05-20 10:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-05-20 10:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-05-20 10:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2007-05-20 10:02 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
retrophazer

Posted: 2007-05-20 4:00 pm   Permalink

Awesome topic! I own almost all of the Ultra-Lounge series. I started a DJ company back in 2000 called Retrophaze DJs (www.retrophazedjs.com) and I bought as many of the UL as I could get! I also went wild buying tons of 80's music, which I also love! You guys should definately check out the double-disc UL compilations for Martin Denny and for Les Baxter. Fantastic stuff!
Hey, I'm in Denver near Littleton. Where are you?

Michael

P.S., I love Michael Buble also, although I haven't seen him in concert. Kind of expensive, that.

View Profile of retrophazer Send a personal message to retrophazer  Email retrophazer Goto the website of retrophazer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
procinema29
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-20 5:24 pm   Permalink

I have the Mondo Exotica album--really amazing collection, and I can listen to the thing over and over. Not a boring track on it.

View Profile of procinema29 Send a personal message to procinema29      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-20 6:25 pm   Permalink

I did CD release parties here in Seattle for several different labels putting out Lounge compilations and re-issues (RCA, Scamp, Rhino, Castle, etc.) in the mid-1990s, and Capitol's Ultra Lounge series was one of them. I highly recommend the series. I do have issues with some of the material, however (with the enormous amount of material available to Mr. Benedict and his associates, a good deal of the selections could've been better and more tastefully chosen), and as a DJ I've always been thoroughly irritated by the mixing of two songs to form one track, which is purely about money and licencing -- killing two birds with one stone. Putting on mystery tracks and not listing them is another. I never understood why Capitol did not release the full albums by a lot of these artists, though. I and loads of folks I know/knew would've purchased them. Still, the best by far of all the Lounge music compilations released. And put together by folks who truly understood the genre. (There were quite a few folks at record companies who didn't understand the genre, but jumped on the Lounge bandwagon and put out sub-par rubbish in the hopes of making an easy buck.)

DCC's Bachelor Pad series was (still is!) very good, too. And Rhino's offering (initally consisting of three differently-themed Lounge music discs, then with one or two later additions) is another excellent series, as well. The 3 disc RCA Lounge series was full of rather irritating, but mostly rare instrumental, ping-pong effects stereo-action material, and I didn't much care for them myself (though I'm sure some folks did/do). Still, worth mentioning, as I believe the RCA compilations predated all the others (with DCC coming in second, then Rhino).

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-20 6:35 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC retrophazer. I agree that the Michael Buble tickets are getting pretty damned expensive. Next thing ya know...he will be taking up residence in Las Vegas and playing exclusively for some shi shi hotel. He does make it around to some little out of the way places though....which is pretty neat. (P.S. you can generally see where people are from under their name on the left column.) Have fun surfing the board...lots of neat stuff and great people.

Great to hear you are spinnin the UL on your gigs DJ...I just may try those other series CDs that you mentioned...thanks.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation