FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-14 12:44 pm   Permalink

I have read the posts, but am still a little lost. My uncle just finished a custom log home and there are hundreds of logs. Most are around 4 feet tall and there is a monster 9 footer that is 4 feet in diameter. I am just wanting help on where to actually start my first carving.

Here is my rough sketch, let me know what ya think, I dont like the nose much. Probably going to try to change it. This is my first attempt at this sort of thing.

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki 2005-10-19 13:06 ]

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-14 4:21 pm   Permalink

First of all welcome to TC, Second of all you are one LUCKY guy getting all those beautiful logs to carve.
First if possible I would try to get the wood under cover and out of the elements to preserve it. Second, if you Don't have it, go to Amazon.com and purchase a copy of "The Book of Tiki". Then get yourself some carving tools: shisels, grinders, sander, chainsaw and whatever you can get.
Then find a tiki you like and ask Bigbrotiki if it is alright for you to Copy it.
Then draw the tiki onto a piece of wood. Then just start cutting away everything that does not look like tiki.
Do it in stages and take pictures as you go and post the pic's so we can help guide youon to the next step.
Thenfind out if there are any TC Carvers in your area that might need some logs and would be willing to trade a little knowledge for somw wood.
These are just suggestions, but you gotta start somewhere. Hope this helps..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-14 10:10 pm   Permalink

Hey Rodeotiki,

I'm not an expert at carving, far from it. In fact, I just started my first carving about 2 months ago and have been "chipping away at it" slowly ever since.

I'm just thrilled to know that someone else is in the same boat as I with this whole tiki carving thing AND that they are in Calgary. We really should meet up sometime and exchange tips or whatever.
(Just PM me if that sounds like something you'd like to do...)
But if I were you I'd first check out the carving post and heed the wise words of people like Benzart, Gecko, Basement Kahuna and all the other carving talents we have here.

Cheers!

-Slacks

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-14 10:13 pm   Permalink

Rodeotiki, Welcome!

My suggestion: As a new carver, I can relate. Start with something small and work your way up. Even a two footer will suck up many hours as you begin to figure out how to carve. Try a simple design for starters - you can always add detail & embellish at the later stages if you start feelin' frisky. If the going feels too slow with chisels, think about getting a dremel. And save that monster log for later - it ain't goin' nowhere!

Good luck, & take Benzart's advice. There's lots of carvers who will be glad to help you out here at TC.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-15 1:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the wise words. I have aquired alot of the tools needed. And i have read almost everything I can. Myself, I dont want to copy anything that I have already seen. Is it okay to take certain elements of different tiki's and combine them. You know use the eyes from one the mouth from another or change them a little.
Thanks again, slacks I will get in touch with ya .

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-15 2:07 pm   Permalink

Rodeo, no problem using other tiki's elements. The only problem you willcome across is when you COPY another tiki, line for line and then sell it. You have the right Idea. Find eyes you like and connect them with a Nose you like and so forth until you have a tiki.
Good luck and Have FUN.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-15 4:07 pm   Permalink

this topic has been brought up many times on TC, but is one I feel that should continue to resurface.
As you are learning how to carve (or produce art) it's natural to pass through a stage of copying ideas as you hone your skills. Keep in mind that these carvings will be in the style of other artists and, out of respect for those artists, should be enjoyed in your own tiki bar. The more you carve, the more you'll develop your own style and the more you'll have fun (which is the most important thing for everything you do).
Don't be afraid to post your work and ask for advice.

BTW - I'm always curious as to the style that carvers start out with and what their style looks like a year after starting to carve...it's a very neat progression.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-15 5:13 pm   Permalink

I dont plan on selling tiki's, and I personally would never copy another artist. I do feel that with any form of art you are always going to be influenced by someone else. I've seen lots of moai, who's the first and are all the rest copying, If ya copy someones work and pass it as your own thats wrong, I will always give credit for anything I do if anypart of it has been influenced by someone else ( that is going to be some list)
Thanks again for the feed back. Hope to get started soon.

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-08-15 17:23 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-15 5:50 pm   Permalink

well we can't wait so Hurry up!! Just remember when you start and many times during the process, the Tiki will not loog good at all and you will think you messed it up, but just keep going and it will start looking better. This hapens to All artists not just beginners.

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-08-16 4:00 pm   Permalink

I sounded kinda preachy in the last post...sorry...just carve and have fun. with the amount of wood it sounds like you have, you could have a forest of tikis in your back yard.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 5:56 pm   Permalink

for the first time I put mallet to chisel, I think no matter how it turns out Im HOOKED.

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-08-18 13:37 ]

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 09:46 am   Permalink

no ideas on where its headed ,think i might go buy a dremel today .

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 11:08 am   Permalink

I find the Dremmel to be of limited use on logs. A power sander, or grinder might be more useful.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 11:48 am   Permalink

I agree with Raffertiki, a dremel is pretty limited on log carving. Like cleaning the floor with a toothbrush.
For that type of tool you are better off with a Die Grinder which has a 1/4" chuck and the burs available are larger and Will remove some wood after you get over the fear of 22,000 rpms spinning wildly in your hands.
Here is the link I just gave Finkdaddy for the 1/4' burs available. at the top the burs are pictured and scroll down to the 1/4" section for those prices. These are carbide and will last a long time
http://www.treelineusa.com/frames/power.html
the die grinder is avail at the local stores like Lowes and Home Depot and they have burs but Probably not the carbide type. The steel ones will dull right up and will not last long.
Have More fun

rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 1:26 pm   Permalink

I do have a die grinder with a fairly large compressor, Thanks for the tip. Does wood wear down burs faster than metal wood. I used them on the frame of my rod to clean welds up.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation