FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Rodetiki's stuff, Another sketch pg. 22 10/20/05
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-13 06:05 am   Permalink

Maybe it's the photo, but this one already has a nice lived-in look. Like it washed up on the beach.

I can't wait to see how you finish it.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-13 3:32 pm   Permalink

Thankyou everyone for your kind words
I hope to get him done soon, The wood was aged from sitting out in the elements for awhile, I dont want to stain this guy to dark. Any suggestions?

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-15 3:00 pm   Permalink

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-15 9:46 pm   Permalink

Do you have any scrap material from the same log that you can test? I'd try straight varnish and see what it looks like.

Also, I think the Paint Dept. people at Home Depot or Lowes will open some cans if you want to see what a particular stain's gonna look like before you buy. Just start with "natural" or some other light color & see how it looks. Or go darker from there if you like.

They will usually let you test the stain on some of those free wooden stir sticks or if you have some wood scraps they'll give them a dip instead.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-19 7:27 pm   Permalink

Waiting on the next one RT. I bet itz coming any time now??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-21 06:54 am   Permalink

That looks so nice. I love the mouth, which to me always makes or breaks a tiki. Very cool.

I'm always partial to lighter stains. To me they bring out the grain without hiding it or hiding any of the carving detail.

Can't wait to see it done!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-28 3:32 pm   Permalink

I decided to stain the teeth too. They didnt look right left lighter. I also dished out the top of his head. I like the idea of functional tiki.

Still have to varnish it.

Here it is with varnish applied .

[ This Message was edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-04-01 14:11 ]

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-01 9:48 pm   Permalink

Rodeo, she's a beaut' & I like the tiki too!

Really, it looks like your staining has improved quite a bit. Did you use that stain preconditioner stuff the Benz suggested? The detail & features on this tiki is really cool. Is the 6 footer coming up next?

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 12:00 pm   Permalink

nice one rodeo, that stain adds a ton of character to the tiki. I'm a big fan of grain patterns.

well done!

is this one going to that store too? or is it for home decoration?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 9:44 pm   Permalink

Cool work! He's got a kind of "dark glasses" look to him that makes him unique with lots of character.

www.samgambino.com

[ This Message was edited by: Sam Gambino on 2005-04-03 21:45 ]

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NitroAgogo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-04 10:48 am   Permalink

hmmm, i checked your work on your first tiki rodeo. from the beginning sketch to the finished product..looks good, and i agree, i really like the stain. gives even more depth and character. you should keep going with this. i think you are developing a great talent. and the eyes are different, i like that. you made it your own.

View Profile of NitroAgogo Send a personal message to NitroAgogo  Goto the website of NitroAgogo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-04 1:23 pm   Permalink

Defitanely a keeper Rodeo. Stain and finish techniques have Really improved a LOT. The girl looks pretty real too, what kind of stain did you use on her??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-04 5:43 pm   Permalink

Looks great Rodeo! Love the finish, the mouth...nice work overall!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-06 11:36 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your kind words.

Benz- no stain on the little one thats is unfortunatly natural, my kids are pasty white like me.

Here is a little 2 footer I made last night for a friend to give his dad as a b-day gift. I put on the back "to dad from ty and 50 years young" I hope his dad likes it. There is also a hollowed out spot for a citronella candle( since this is for a deck)

Thanks again

teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-06 8:33 pm   Permalink

I would have never thought the back would look soo good. Everyone would have carved in and you carved out. I save the out for speacil cermanics but its easier to add letters then carve nice dimensional letters in. Thats clay and this is not. Cool.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation