FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
kaha ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

Aloha Ben!
shoots brah! Looks like I need to go out buy some more tools! Mahalo for all your posts. There completely informative and I dont see where you get the time to do your amazing work and post da kine all the time! You da best brah!

Malama Pono!

View Profile of kaha ki'i Send a personal message to kaha ki'i  Email kaha ki'i Goto the website of kaha ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-17 1:23 pm   Permalink

Just curious about these tools. Anyone ever used one?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31118&cat=1,130,43701
It's square ended, supposed to be good for cross grain cuts to prevent splintering. I tend to have lots of trouble with that when I'm going across the grain while carving. Wondering if others have similar problems and what they do about it.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-18 02:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-17 13:23, TikiJosh wrote:
Just curious about these tools. Anyone ever used one?
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=31118&cat=1,130,43701
It's square ended, supposed to be good for cross grain cuts to prevent splintering. I tend to have lots of trouble with that when I'm going across the grain while carving. Wondering if others have similar problems and what they do about it.

Keep your blades sharp!!! Sharp like razor.
This blade seems to be more of a specific use type. Like 90 degree incised cuts. I'm not sure how the squarness will help with splintering but I know a sharp blade will cut and a dull one just pushes causing spinters,slips and accidents.

Just my 2 cents.

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
scarysnarles
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-22 09:21 am   Permalink

Holy Big Kahuna Batman those be some Righteous tool sets.My utility belt's severally lacking!

View Profile of scarysnarles Send a personal message to scarysnarles  Email scarysnarles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-22 09:55 am   Permalink

Wow - I have some more tool collecting to do. This is a valuable reference for a newbie (like me!). Benzart! You're awesome! Thanks for the eyeopener. Carving 101 is precisely what I was looking for to get started.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-25 6:23 pm   Permalink

Try this tool to sand those difficult hard to sand with power tool areas. Unlike sanding drums on a Dremel or die grinder this does not have be used flat on the surface. Since it is tapered it is easy get into and smooth those deep difficult areas that you cannot reach with an angle grinder.

They are called tapered cartridge rolls. There are many places online that sell them in various grits and sizes. The one shown is about 1 by 2 inches.

I got mine at one of those cheap tool shops similar to Harbor Freight and were three for a dollar. The arbor was a cheap import and immediately broke in half. I just cut the head end off a lag bolt, threaded the cartridge roll on the bolt and chucked what used to be the head end in my hand drill. Worked like a charm.
JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-26 06:52 am   Permalink

Hey!

Has anyone got any opinions on Bracht chisels and gouges? I just bought a set of 8 off of craigs list for $40! They're made in "West Germany".

It looked like a bargain to me because they have never been used, (they still have the dipped-plastic protectors on the blade edges), there's no marring on the butt end so they have never been stricken, either. I got 4 chisels and 4 gouges, all different sizes. All are about 14 inches long, with a metal ring around the butt end.

Thanks

TikiGap

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 12:26 pm   Permalink

I haven't heard of the "Bracht" brand of chisels, but there are Many german sets I am not familiar with that are great. As long as you can sharpen them and they hold an edge, they're fine.
I know I have been ignoring this post for awhile but I want to start regularly adding to it.

Another subject I would like to mention is the Angle grinder. Thay come in several sizes, 4, 4 1/2, 5, 7, and more. The most popular being the 4 and 1/2 size. I personally have 2 4" models, but the thing I want to emphasize is the use of a "router speed control" to Slow the thing down.Everyone who has come to my shop and tried a grinder with a speed control is totally blown away. The sanding disks Never burn whan slowed down and you have So Much more control that it literally becomes a Different tool. Just forget about how You used to Try to control it. With the speed control Even the Chain disk is a Pleasure to use instead of a Fright.
Seriously. Stop what you are doing and go to Harbor freight or some other tool company and fork over $12 to$40 for one depending on where you go. You Will save That much and More on the disks you don't burn up in 20 minutes
Thats it for now.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 2:25 pm   Permalink

Can the speed control for the Foredom motor be used for the same thing?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 2:29 pm   Permalink

Dave,

I set the foot control for the Foredom aside and replaced it with a dial speed control. I like it a lot better. I have also used the same speed control for my angle grinder and it takes a lot of the bite out of it.

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-12 3:19 pm   Permalink

The foot control MAY work with the grinder, I don't know. Foredom has some electronic foot pedals for specific machines. The big problem with the foot pedal is you are Stuck to it and if you're anything like most carvers, you are all over the place when you grind. It is worth a few bucks to have a dial speed control like GMAN does.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-13 09:44 am   Permalink

Cool! Thanks Benz and others... I have a Harbor Freight just around the corner, so I'm going there today to get a dial speed control for my angle grinder. I'm still afraid of that thing so maybe some 'control' over it will help!

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 1:11 pm   Permalink

benz, is this what you're talking about?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43060

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 1:20 pm   Permalink

PDrake, Harbor Freight has a router speed control for 12.95. The faceplate is different than the one in your link. It is numbered 1-10 and works like a charm. I say pick it up. It will take your carving to a new level.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 1:23 pm   Permalink

Pdrake, that one you have looks Identical to mine I have had for at least 15 years and it is going strong. I'm sure the HF 12$ one works just as well.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation