FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 7:04 pm   Permalink

sometimes scorpions nest in palm trees.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-15 7:45 pm   Permalink

Scorps are used for hollowing out bouls mostly and are not great for much more. For wood carving they don't add much to your ability. If you were making dougout canoes from large display size to the real thing. Adzes are normaly used there but a scorp Could come in handy. If you want one, you can find eniugh uses for it to justify it's existence, but you would not use it very much.
Hope that helps

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-03-15 7:54 pm   Permalink

That helps a lot - thanks!

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachnik
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-03-19 10:34 pm   Permalink

Hey Benzart, you have a mighty fine collection of tools! I am new to TC but have been carving off and on for about 10 years. I like the idea of building up my tool chest with some power carvers and the like. I went over the tool advice you gave and will check out whats available. Since I have never used a power carver, can someone let me know how well they rough out large amounts off wood. The more help the betta!

Thanks,
Beachnik

View Profile of Beachnik Send a personal message to Beachnik  Email Beachnik     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 1:08 pm   Permalink

Been hearing a little about spoke shaves and weaponry lately, can someone explain what a spokeshave is and how it works? Is it similar to a plane?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 1:13 pm   Permalink

it's like a mini draw knife/jack plane. they make sharp scrapers that do kind of the same thing, but these have handles and holders for a constant angle.

i think. i've never used one, but it's on the "to get" list.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 2:10 pm   Permalink

You got it right. It is a Curved mini plane with handles on both sides. Excellent for paring down a board for making clubs. If you cut the club out on the bandsaw, you would use the spokeshave to round the corners and smoothe the edges.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-26 2:13 pm   Permalink

Beachnik, the power carvers are mostly for detail, but the Automach, which bolts onto youtr angle grinder can do a lot of roughing out.
Imagine a little jackhammer on the end of your chisel pushing the chisel thru the wood without a mallet or without much effort. You have the Reciprocating carver!

AlienTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 02:56 am   Permalink

Here I've taken a pic of some tools I like to use.
Believe it or not the Dremel at the top of the screen gets more use sharpening the chisels than cutting wood. But the key-less chuck is a must for me.
Below the red dremel box is a spoke shave. Its old but sharp and trusty. Next to it on top of some Koa molding I found is a micrometer/caliper, it comes in handy.
The Axe is more for effect. I tried the Crazy Al approach to hacking a log and found the hatchet is best used in stripping the bark from a log only.
Ah the handy Saw is under it, no explanation needed, just elbow grease. I've found for finer cuts the little coping saw or the Japanese saw(not pictured) works best for me.
the 1 inch flat chisel gets the most use on the larger stuff while the x-actos to the left of the little, monkeypod guy work great on small stuff.

and last but not least the 4 in 1 hand rasp/file and the emery boards/finger nail files. I got the finger nail file idea from Ben and they work great.

Thanks

View Profile of AlienTiki Send a personal message to AlienTiki  Goto the website of AlienTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-28 06:53 am   Permalink

AlienTiki, Really nice bunch of tools. I Love the Monkeypod Tiki, could you post some closeups of it.
I am Happy that you found how useful the emory boards are. Walgreens sells many variations from big to tiny from coarse100grit to fine polishing 2000(probably) grit.
They have one that is blue and red on 1 side and grey and white on the other. Those work Great for polishing down a Raw piece of Abalone shell for eyes or whatever.
I also see your Hook blade in the Exacto handle,,Great!
Thanks for showing us some of your tools.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 7:35 pm   Permalink

i'm a little lost here. do the flexcut chisels fit the weecher hand piece? are the weecher chisels not good/sharp/long lasting? is the foredom hand piece better than the weecher?

i'm sorry, i just couldn't wrap my mind around a definitive answer in this thread.

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-05 8:03 pm   Permalink

Hey!

Warning! I guess I did something wrong. I blew up my brand new (last weekend) Weecher Recip Handpiece tonight - and got jabbed in the gut by a #5 by 5/8 FlexCut chisel! It drew blood, and tore up one of my favorite aloha shirts!

Trouble is, I have no idea what I did wrong! After 20 minutes of power carving, the chuck nut disintegrated, and the ball bearing flew out the other end, and the whole hand piece blew off the end of the flex shaft, and the chisel went for my belly! It was exciting... yawn.

Now I have to stop carving while I await a replacement.

Anybody have trouble like this before?

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-08-25 08:53 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 8:08 pm   Permalink

so, what does that mean? weecher bad, foredom good? i'm so confused.

hope you heal fast. those gut shots can fester. pour some rum on it.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-05 8:44 pm   Permalink

Well, we know a few things can blow up either handpiece. Neither will run iin reverse and will literally BLOW UP so if you had a reversing flexshaft,thet is posibility #1.
#2 is the way the Wecheer is made. Basically there are 2 metal plates inside with a hole drilled in each and a ball bearing placed in each holeso that as these plates turn against each other, the ball berings hit and one plate jumps up and over the other bearing. If you are working it very hard for an extended amount of time and the handpiece is heating up and really getting hot, One of the ball bearings breaks, splits down the middle (the bearing is held in place with a small rod which fits thru a hole drilled in the center of the ball) it causes the handpiece to Suddenly Jam to a stop and this twists the flexshaft until it breaks, and then your motor keeps running, meanwhile everything has come to a sudden halt with a twisting movement. I will try to explaim=n more tomorrow if it is needed as it is late and that explaination just boggled my brain.
More later.

tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-05 8:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info Ben.

I was being pretty careful about making the motor go in the right direction all the time. I suppose it could have run in reverse, but I think that this is unlikely, due to my O.C.D. (heh heh, I think?!?)!

I called Smokey Mtn Woodcarvers this morning - They're Great! They will replace the handpiece no problem... they want to see the old one too, because this should never happen and they said that they had never seen this problem before.

Must have been made on a Monday morning...

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-04-06 07:11 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation