FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-06-02 5:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben!

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2006-06-03 21:40 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-08 6:42 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-09 06:31 am   Permalink

Bump it up Again

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 05:57 am   Permalink

Hi
I have a couple questions.

One- Is there an advantage to using a carvers mallet? I've been using a rubber mallet.

Two- Does anybody have an issue when you turn off your Foredom SR and have it go all the way to reverse instead of off? It makes a racket and I am concerned it will eventually cause an issue if it happens too many times.

Thanks.

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-10 06:02 am   Permalink

Hi Johnny -

I use a (birch?) mallet - it's lighter than a rubber one, but I can't think of any other distinct advantage.

I read in my foredom documentation somewhere that it said to be sure the machine comes to a complete stop before switching directions. You should be able to gently switch it off without going into the opposite direction (that's got a 3 position switch, you know). It's probably a bad thing to not wait for it to stop all the way.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-10 10:38 pm   Permalink

JP,

I think you would really dig a polyurethane carver's mallet. You can strike from any angle vs. the rubber mallet which can be pretty awkward. Also the rubber mallet can be pretty bouncy while the polyurethane mallet feels just right! - I've not tried the birch mallet (or any other wooden mallet for that matter), but I believe the polyurethane models have less impact transmission to the arm and are generally quieter. Try "Wood is Good", that's my brand and I have seen a lot of other carvers using them as well. I think there's a website link in here somewhere - just do a quick search. They come in 12 & 20 oz (or 30), but it is good to have both (30 is pretty heavy).

I've never thrown the Foredom SR into reverse while it was still spinning, but it can't be good. I'd just pull the plug instead if it's happening a lot. Keep in mind also that the speed control or reverse function isn't necessary or useful if you are using the recip carver handpiece. Just plug it in direct unless you are using spinning tools.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-11 12:16 pm   Permalink

The Foredom SR rocker switch that goes from forward/ stop/ reverse seems to allow the unit to switch directions way too easily. I have been using the speed control to stop the unit before I turn it off at the switch after I accidently reversed it a couple times, I was just wondering if other people were having the same issue.

AA. Thanks for the advice on the mallet.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-02 5:09 pm   Permalink

Cool thread - worthy of a bump for the woodcarving noobs like myself.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 03:33 am   Permalink

A word about carvers mallets. You can use a rock, a big stick, a rubber hammer type mallet or a wood carvers mallet and the newer design, the turned carvers mallet with a layer of urethane on the striking face which is more healthy and much quieter. it really does "Save" the joints from the impact damage. So basically use whatever you want, but to do it right use the turned , wooden mallet with the urethane sleeve on it.
Hope this helps

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-03 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-11-03 03:33, Benzart wrote:
So basically use whatever you want, but to do it right use the turned , wooden mallet with the urethane sleeve on it.
Hope this helps

I agree 100% with this statement. I own many mallets and i only use the urethane now and forever.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 04:24 am   Permalink

Bump for Adam

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncrichie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-16 2:21 pm   Permalink

Ben, if possible could you post a picture or a website reference to the turned wooden mallet with poly sleeve. I'm not familiar with them and would prefer to get the recommended ones as I'm just gathering carving tools. TIA, uncrichie.

View Profile of uncrichie Send a personal message to uncrichie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 2:42 pm   Permalink

this one:

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=915-856

it says "wood is goo" on the end.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-16 9:31 pm   Permalink

Lots cheaper HERE, direct from the source.

They come in 12, 18, 20 & 30 oz.

It's nice to have a couple of sizes. I used to use the 20 oz. exclusively, but it was getting a bit hard on the old elbow. If you're a He-man like Tiki Diablo, try the 30 oz!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncrichie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-17 3:56 pm   Permalink

Pdrake and AaronsAkua thanks for the information. My next question as you may have already guessed is what weight to get. I understand having several would be best but if you had to buy just one which weight would it be? TIA. Uncrichie

View Profile of uncrichie Send a personal message to uncrichie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation