FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-17 5:48 pm   Permalink

i use a 22oz mallet.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 10:48 am   Permalink

I also have the 22oz. There are times I could use a bigger one and Many times I could use a smaller one, but I'm happy with the 22 ozer.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncrichie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-18 3:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks fellas, a 22 ozer it'll be. Uncrichie...

View Profile of uncrichie Send a personal message to uncrichie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 5:02 pm   Permalink

I called the King Arthur’s Tools factory today to order some goodies for next weekend’s S.D. Chop-Chop. Everyone in the place had gone home for the day except this one Australian fellow named Arthur – as in "King Arthur". Well long story short, this guy talked my ear off & I spent a good chunk ‘o change on an 18 tooth Squire, a new chain for my old Lancelot, and a few other things. If anyone is thinking of picking up a chain disc, I’d suggest you call the factory instead of buying it at some anonymous web retailer. The price is the same or better, and you can get all the good tech info & make the right selection. And, of course, you can talk to “The King”…

Youch!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-22 5:57 pm   Permalink

i love mine. they command a lot of respect, though.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-23 04:19 am   Permalink

Those chainsaw disks can take a lot of wood off fast. It can take softer flesh off even faster. I like mine also. Be very very careful if you buy one of these, this is not a tool for people unfamiliar with power tools.

Attention Foredom users.
I had an issue where the set screw that holds the flex shaft to the motor shaft came out. The loose set screw itself ground off part of the powdered metal attachment feature on the shaft as it spun around inside the protective plastic housing. It is located inside the light grey plastic sheath that screws on the motor housing (left hand thread) that the flex shaft slides into. There are two set screws on the motor end of the shaft. The one I am talking about is not the visible one. Make sure the set screw is tight. Fortunately I was able to put it back together. Unfortunately, I now have a bunch of metal shavings inside the shaft tube that I can't get out so eventually I am going to have a premature failure.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-23 06:56 am   Permalink

Hey JP, the shaft willcome out of the enclosure and you can then clean it and re-grease it. Justfollow the instructions for adjusting the amount of shaft coming out the end.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-23 09:41 am   Permalink

Aaron please take care of your hands with that tool !!!

Ben

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncrichie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-23 10:40 am   Permalink

Slightly but not completely off topic. I was using a masonary disc on a 4-1/2" grinder to custom fit a few misscut paver bricks for my patio. I was holding the brick in my left hand and grinder in my right. Needless to say after a very trying day and being dog tired I slipped with the grinder. The top of my left thumb is healing nicely and the nail should be fully grown out in 6 months. My mistake was not having the brick clamped down and using both hands on the grinder.

I could not imagine what a chain cutting wheel accident would look like nor would I want to see one. As others have mentioned be very careful. I know gloves are a no-no with power tools but maybe kevlar gloves would be useful??? Uncrichie...

View Profile of uncrichie Send a personal message to uncrichie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-23 11:10 am   Permalink

Gloves are good, but I imagine it would be very very ugly, kevlar or not, if this chain disc caught your hand. I've used the Lancelot a lot (no pun!), and pretty much wore out my first chain so now I've bought a replacement chain. It definitely comands respect. Anyone who's used one of these has caught a kickback or two, and it gets you back to reality real quick. If you run it at the wrong angle it gets real choppy, and if you let it go in the wrong direction for even just a second it will dig in and kick back real hard, leaving a big gouge in the wood.

That being said, it is an excellent tool if you are careful with it and aware of the potential danger (this from a guy who got stitches from a hand saw!). I also ordered the Squire, which is smaller diameter and can be mounted in tandem stacked right on top of the Lancelot. Can't wait to see how that works.

-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-28 8:46 pm   Permalink

Is anyone here using the Arbortech Pro-4 Woodcarver blade? I've got a question if anyone can help out.

I just received the Pro-4 Kit today, which apparently includes a transparent plastic cover/shield that covers like 80% of the blade.

For some reason I thought you could use this blade in either horizontal or vertical position like the Lancelot. But after reading the package, it looks like you can only use it in vertical position like this:

I'm thinking of sending it back, but any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Aaron

-Pablo Picasso

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 05:52 am   Permalink

Hey Aaron, it looks like the cover takes away too much of the carving area. I'm sure it's great for safety, but overkill reduces the usability of the tool.
Since I have used a router speed control to slow down the chain/disk, it is a LOT More controllable and much safer too. TRY it, it Really makes a Huge difference.

Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 06:15 am   Permalink

AA,
I took the plastic guard off with no problems and its a nice tool.It really makes a mess and it needs to be kept sharp to really work. Working with it in the verticle position takes a bit of getting used to. It's not like a flap sanding wheel on an angle grinder.

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 08:22 am   Permalink

i bought mine at a discount price because it was missing some of the pieces to attach the plastic guard. i guess i never missed it. you can get really smooth cuts with it, but it can bind and kick back if you try to plunge too deep.

cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 11:25 am   Permalink

Loki is right, ditch the guard and keep it sharp. The other thing I will add is wear long sleeves and thick trousers, it fires out wood chips at an alarming speed that will bruise your legs and cut your arms otherwise!

Here's a pic of me 'not' wearing long sleeves whilst carving the sections of the "Mai Tai Canoe" for Trader Vics, it was the only tool that could really get into the tight spaces.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation