FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-29 8:29 pm   Permalink

All good advice, thanks guys. I was pretty sure that some of you weren't using the shield, but then again it goes against the grain to ignore the Mfr. warnings on these tools. I guess they're just going overkill on this one as a C.Y.A. & to limit their liability.

I mounted the disc today & was surprised at just how "un-sharp" it is. It sounds like they sharpen up pretty easy with a round 1/4" file, though.

Ben, good idea on the speed control. I will have to browse back a few pages here & add it to the Xmas list.

Thanks!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-13 07:43 am   Permalink

I found a new link today to a place that has carving tools for wood or stone etc. They have a good selection of burrs too. Check it out:

http://www.pfingstco.com/index.htm

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-13 7:32 pm   Permalink

In response to Finky asking how I sand my small pendants and get them so smoothe. I Use all sorts of Power tools and sanders, here is the business end of some of those tools and the bits and burs and papers they use. I don't do hand sanding unless I Absolutely have to. I use a lot of the Walgreens "Nail Files" and emory boards,xxxzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzncaspygwqsdf;--Oopps, snoozed out ther a minute I will describe these toomorroesdkmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkkkkkkkkkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

♦♦

myspace

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2008-10-19 17:29 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-14 09:46 am   Permalink

I just saw this now. Thanks Ben! Sorry to make you so sleepy.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-18 06:40 am   Permalink

Thanks Finky, I don't know what you did, but Don't do it Again. I have slept for 5 days straight. Hopefully I can wake up and do some carving today!!!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-13 5:09 pm   Permalink

So I discovered that my daughter is allergic to walnut. We knew she had a nut allergy - any nuts - including walnuts, but I never thought the dust would be a problem.

I had been sanding the pig for a while (see my thread), and the dust was going everywhere. In fact, my "shop" as it were, is really the "laundry" room. That dust was getting on the girl's clothes and making her itch.

I used a shop vac most of the time too... but often it just wasn't convenient to hold the vac and operate another power tool (sander) in the other hand. It was also VERY noisy. Also the shop vac isnt exactly hypo-allergenic. No hepa filter there for sure. Ony the guys from California need that stuff, right?

Anyway, I digress... So sorry for the cheap shot, Al baby, etc.

Well here are some picks of the PVC pipe I put in the shop ("Laundry room" dammit), to help mitigate the problem. And it works to a pretty good extent! The kid stopped itchin. I can get back to working on walnut.

from shop vac,

then goes up to pipe in rafters,

then across shop, and down to the device.

In this case a belt sander...

------------------------------------------------------------

I forgot - it cost about $15USD.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-02-13 17:19 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-08 5:15 pm   Permalink

What is the best way to use these radial disks? The white and gray one next to the sandpaper flap.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-08 5:46 pm   Permalink

You spin 'em....fast.....

-G

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-08 8:33 pm   Permalink

Heres some of that space now. I just changed it around yesterday and today

I seem to be breaking these by the 10's on this club. Gone through 25 or more so far.

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 09:48 am   Permalink

Ben, thanks for the tool pics and especially the tool organizers!!

Would love to see any instructions on using various polishing discs, buffers and so forth... my Dremel kit has a bunch of these but I just haven't found a use for them yet... lol.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 5:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks BigT, next time I crank'em up I'll take some shots and post them for ya'

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 09:24 am   Permalink

Bump

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 11:34 am   Permalink

Ben,

After doing a few carvings now myself, I now know why you seem to have every tool imaginable set up for easy access on your workbench. I think on my last/latest tiki, I had every chisel, exacto knife, drill, dremel tool out on the bench trying to finish that sucker.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 8:16 pm   Permalink

The reason I bumped this up was to add these pictures later and Now IS Later.
These are sandingMops and gold stars from
Klingspoors sand paper company, Look for Double Sanding Mops
http://www.woodworkingshop.com/001c/html/Catalog/Vol96PG_77-87.pdf These are expensive but worth 10 Times that when you start using them. They work so great you will wonder why I am sharing this time saving secret with you. Its because I want you to Quit all that hand sanding and get on to More Carving. I Know how it has saved Me tons of time! Besides I love you guys.
I have 5

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 9:19 pm   Permalink

bump

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation