FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 10:45 am   Permalink

Dig those sanding mops. Are you using them on a drill press like the picture in the catalog, moving the piece around? Or can you attach it to a drill for the bigger pieces?

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 11:57 am   Permalink

The sanding mops are GREAT!! You can attach them to any type of rotary tool. The Mop can be used in any way that you see fit. The downside is that they do take the sharp edges off your cuts - use care! I like the finer grits because you have more control and they don't take as much material off. I did find some at Woodcraft that were cheaper ($17/each and made "cheaper"), but could not be refilled - search their sight for Sanding Stars.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-03 11:57, AlohaStation wrote:
The sanding mops are GREAT!! You can attach them to any type of rotary tool. The Mop can be used in any way that you see fit. The downside is that they do take the sharp edges off your cuts - use care! I like the finer grits because you have more control and they don't take as much material off. I did find some at Woodcraft that were cheaper ($17/each and made "cheaper"), but could not be refilled - search their sight for Sanding Stars.

Those Woodcraft stars work great, I second his opinion. They also sell them in their storefronts.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 2:15 pm   Permalink

I need a router. I searched, but couldn't find any specifics as to any recommended brands.
I saw that: Lowes had a Skil router with table & a Bosch. Home Depot had a Royobi brand....

Anyone have a preference, or suggestion?

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 2:49 pm   Permalink

I don't know about Ryobi routers , but I bought one of their bench grinders once , and found out that their spindle sizes are out of step with everyone else .
The only grinding wheels that fit are the ones that came with it.
It might be best to find out of the routers take standard sized bits , or if they too are a problem .

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 09:20 am   Permalink

Thanks...will check into that in my quest for a router!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 5:03 pm   Permalink

Most routers use the same bits, but it is always good to check out the sizes of the bits for sale to the chuck of the router you are buying. I am partial to Porter Cable and DeWalt tools for work, but if you are buying a router for around the house there are plenty of cheaper models you can get.
I have never had problems with Ryobi tools for tools like routers and grinders.

Most routers you can get now are plunge routers. It makes it easy to start and stop your work. I prefer the older style, but that was what my dad had in his garage when I was growing up.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 4:10 pm   Permalink

Found some good source material on routers and other power tools.

tylertool.com

LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 12:26 pm   Permalink

Speaking of routers - I'm thinking about getting some 1"x4" redwood or pine to create a crown molding in one of the rooms in my home. I want to cut a design (or designs) into the wood and was thinking about getting a dremel for the job, but I wonder if a dremel would be up to the task. Would this work or would a router be the better tool for the job?

Thanks!

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 12:32 pm   Permalink

I carve with my hands

I also use tiger claw to brush my hair in the morning.

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman 2008-06-27 12:35 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-27 1:07 pm   Permalink

A dremel should work, I did this using a dremel type tool with a router attachement and it worked ok.

[ This Message was edited by: Vinman 2008-06-27 13:07 ]

View Profile of Vinman Send a personal message to Vinman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 1:12 pm   Permalink

Cool! How did the dremel hold up? One concern that I have is burning up the motor.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-27 1:28 pm   Permalink

For light work the Dremel type tools are fine. The trick is to make sure that you aren't forcing the tool through the wood and straining the motor. I had an Alltrade rotary tool that I bought at Costco when I first started this project and it didn't hold up too well. I switched to a Black and Decker version for the rest and it did fine.

View Profile of Vinman Send a personal message to Vinman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-27 5:32 pm   Permalink

I was initially using a chisel, and went over using a dremel and it seems okay for light work.

pia tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-28 01:05 am   Permalink

Aloha!

Thus far I've used these tools and tool combination:
- Various chisels: Straight between 1" and 1/4" and some various gouges(But the gouges aren't that useful other than edging and details)
- Rubber mallet
- Sandpaper (60, 100, 150) on a rubber doorstop wedge thing
- Pencil
And of course the most important tool
- Imagination! *Sparkle-sparkle*

I'll put pictured up when I feel like it.
- Cheers

View Profile of pia tiki Send a personal message to pia tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation