FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
bombhaus

Posted: 2008-06-30 07:02 am   Permalink

I'm really interested in this, but it seems almost all the images are broken. What a bummer!

View Profile of bombhaus Send a personal message to bombhaus  Email bombhaus Goto the website of bombhaus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 6:51 pm   Permalink

I Just recieved the burs I need to finish ths maori/Moko and as you can see they are VEERY Small anywhere from .5mmwide to 2,6 mm wide, There are inverted cones, sawblade discs Pointes and barrels and they are all measured in .5 .7 MM to 2mm high ,All Very small compared to what I had that was sharpenough to cut butter. Tomorrow we'll see how steady my hands are and how well I chose the tools to complete this guy's Moko.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 7:18 pm   Permalink

WhoooHooo! this means updates on the carvings right???

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 10:34 am   Permalink

Bump

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 11:34 am   Permalink

Sweet display of dremel tools Benz! I'm desparately in need of making some tool organizers/holders for my chisels and various bits. Those plastic ones you have look store bought though. I haven't seen any of those.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 11:55 pm   Permalink

Yes, those little white dremel organizers do look handy. I have a variety of dremel bits, but came in a big organized set. I have been purchasing a few bits separately lately so that organizer would be great.

Oh, and getting back to routers, I ended up purchasing a Bosch Colt Palm Router. It's not a plunge type, only 1 HP, but it only weights 3 lbs.! Perfect for my use.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-15 03:09 am   Permalink

Great tool, Bosch is hard to beat
Looking for Bur organizers? It's Easy to cut a block of wood and drill a bunch of holes in it and stuff your burs in in Right? NOT. It is doable but unless you use a jig to get perfectly spaced holes you end up with a messy looking block of firewood, SO here are some of my favorite links:
OttoFrei
I really love THIS One from Florida jewelers tools because there is room to add holes ans STUFF!
More fromFDJ
And HERE from another Favorite of mine where I've spent lots of money.(they have the great "China" flexshaft machine for around $70{I've had one for a few years and it's still going strong})

blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 06:01 am   Permalink

Anybody have this?

I bought it because the head is a 2" triangle, thinking it would be good getting into small places. But, I've had no luck with it. In fact, it did nothing to the wood I was working on. Wondering if I got a lemon or if this tool is destined to become a $40.00 paperweight.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 10:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-05 06:01, blindy the pirate wrote:
Anybody have this?

I bought it because the head is a 2" triangle, thinking it would be good getting into small places. But, I've had no luck with it. In fact, it did nothing to the wood I was working on. Wondering if I got a lemon or if this tool is destined to become a $40.00 paperweight.

We bought this to help with refinishing some cabinets and we had the exact same experience. A whole lot of noise, but not a bit of sanding. I should have taken it back.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 10:43 am   Permalink

I've been carving some of my tikis way too deep and I have a had a terrible time cleaning up the wood in those crevices and have tried all sorts of things with not much success. My dad was cleaning up a piece of metal with a simple bit that held sand paper in his die grinder. I've seen and used these before in 3/32 and 1/8" bit sizes, but what he was using was a homemade 1/4" bit just long enough spin heavy duty sand paper close to the collet. The lightbulb went off. I bought some 1/4 cold rolled steel rod and cut a length long enough to reach the bottom of a crevice on a carving.

Use strips of sandpaper torn off of old beltsanding belts because the cloth is both flexible and heavy enough to handle the abuse. Run this slow in your Foredom and you can really sand deep into those pockets. Since it is only 1/4" diameter it can reach into some really confined areas. I plan on making several different lengths of these.

If anybody has other solutions to sand and clean up saw marks in those deep crevices please post them.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:08 am   Permalink

Well,"DUH", I've been using the 3/32 and 1/8 versions of that too but it Never dawned on me to go bigger. Johnny gets the Tool Tip of the Month Award.

Heath
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 12:49 pm   Permalink

Friggin' genius Johnny!!

View Profile of Heath Send a personal message to Heath  Email Heath     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 1:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-06 11:08, Benzart wrote:
Well,"DUH", I've been using the 3/32 and 1/8 versions of that too but it Never dawned on me to go bigger. Johnny gets the Tool Tip of the Month Award.

Where do you get those fancy things Benz? I dont think I have the equipment to make one - I definately have a couple of broken burrs that I could use if I could cut the slit lol.

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 3:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-06 13:17, kiwishaman wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-06 11:08, Benzart wrote:

Where do you get those fancy things Benz? I dont think I have the equipment to make one - I definately have a couple of broken burrs that I could use if I could cut the slit lol.

KS

I just used a hack saw. Nothing fancy. But I bet you can make some 1/8" ones using a Dremel type cut off wheel to cut a slot in an old bit. "did we mention it cuts?"

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 3:36 pm   Permalink

you can find them all over online, too. just google marsh sander or split mandrel.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation