FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
Al's tikis
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-03-23 2:59 pm   Permalink

Hello i use this tool in the tender wood
it is an electric gouges and cool for work
at home

sorry i have not find one links for this
tool in english

http://frptocs.bosch-pt.com/boptocs-fr/Product.jsp?division=hw&ccat_id=9653&prod_id=5969

see you

Al's.

View Profile of Al's tikis Send a personal message to Al's tikis  Goto the website of Al's tikis     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
No Clue

Posted: 2005-05-03 11:13 am   Permalink

Hey everyone

I've been reading this forum with great interest and I was going to plunge in and get some tools. I'm thinking power tools initially and I have been looking at maybe starting with a grinder and the kutzall attachments.
I was reading the owners manual for the bosch small angle grinder and it said not to use the wood grinding blades with it because of kickbacks, etc. Do they all say this?

I have also been looking at woodcraft and I am considering one of the hanging flex shaft type tools. Any thoughts as far as size motor, etc?

thanks for all the help so far. Reading the threads here has been very helpful.

View Profile of No Clue Send a personal message to No Clue      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-03 2:37 pm   Permalink

I love power tools. I use them all from air to electric.... One word of advice..... They put saftey stuff on them for a reason

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
No Clue

Posted: 2005-05-03 3:14 pm   Permalink

I will heed your advice. It only takes about a second to make you wish you had done something a little differently.

View Profile of No Clue Send a personal message to No Clue      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 06:33 am   Permalink

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 1:40 pm   Permalink

Here's a picture of the chisels I use:

The most important tool is the coffee mug. nothing like sipin' a hot cup o' joe with a few palm chunks floating in it.
YOu can also make out my sandpaper sharpening board that I use to keep the chisels nice and sharp while I carve.
THe four flat chisels on the left are all vintage. My father purchased those for me as a surprise gift the last time he came out west to see my wife and I. He purchased them at an antiqueshow in fallbrook MA. THese things are awesome, and can really hold their sharpness.
THe two chisels on the right are Ashley Isles which I bought from Rockler, both are gouges. The left one is a "U" shape gouge which is excellent for waste removal and scalloping. The one on the right is worth its weight in gold

it is a "(" shaped gouge and for a long while the only chisel I owned and used. I carved many tikis with only that chisel.

After I'm done chiseling, I'll hit the tiki with a dremel to sand and flatten out the strings in the recesses and a grinder to flatten out the larger areas.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:02 pm   Permalink

Okay, for those of us that are interested in taking a crack at carving and are scared to death of operating power tools...what basic hand tools do you highly suggest purchasing?

I've taken a look at the hand tools, in the post, but am completely clueless.

Is there a "starter kit" that can be purchased outright? I was looking at carving tools on ebay and just got completely overwhelmed.

I'd be eternally grateful for any help!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-16 6:57 pm   Permalink

Hi Cheekygirl, A lot depends on what you plan to carve and how small or large.. Are yo planning to carve full sized tikis in palm wood, or real woods? Are you going to carve small tikis like the pen sized tiki pens from AlohaStation or mid sized one from PalamaTiki? Do you have access to wood ?
Answer a few of these questions and we can get a better idea of what tools you will need. Good Luck..

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-17 6:35 pm   Permalink

We have several areas we'd like to trick out tiki-style.

1. Den = new tiki bar
2. Outdoor Patio = liki lounge area
3. Backyard

For now, I'd like to concentrate on a Patio Tiki. I'd like to carve a tiki that will sit in a fountain type setting. So I'd like a tiki to be about 2-3 feet. It will be a feature/focal point in the room. This is where I'd like to start.

Backyard: I'd like a series of 3 tikis for the backyard. I'm thinking I'd like to carve at least one (6 ft tall) and if the project gets too overwhelming, I'd just buy the other two, but that project will be determined at how I do with the patio tiki.

Incidentally, the den area leads out to the outdoor patio, so the flow will be wonderful! I'm so excited.

So in answering the question, for now one small 2-3 foot tiki and later a 6 ft. tiki.

Access to wood, humm, I'm a newbie at this, so I'm looking into that....I figure I'd pester the local landscrapers, etc.

Thanks for the input!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 05:58 am   Permalink

I'm sure the local landscapers and Tree removal/trimmers will have plenty wood for you and should be able to tell you the best Local carving woods.
Check for local tiki carvers in your area too, they may be able to part with a log or 2.
For tools, basics are a few straight chisels from 1/2" to 2" and lots of sand paper will get you started. Electric sander or grinder may help. Then #3 and #5 gouges in various sizes will help later down the road.
Good luck.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 4:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks! Very much for your input. I'm going to buy some chisels from ebay today!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 5:02 pm   Permalink

Before you do, just be Very careful and don't get the real Cheapie chisels. I know they seem like a good deal, but they come with NO Edge at all on them and when you Finally do get them sharpened, if you just Show them a piece of wood they get dull again.
Pay a few extra bucks for Name brand. When you find something you like, Post it here and I/we will evaluate it for you.
Hope this helps.

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-18 6:06 pm   Permalink

I took another look at the chisels on ebay, and the quality of some don't look so hot. I'm going to take a little trip to Lowes and take a looksee first.

I've drawn a rough sketch of the tiki I'd like to crave, so, once I get my digital camera fixed, I'll post, along with the new tools.

Thank for all your input!

maja

Posted: 2005-06-22 10:53 am   Permalink

Hi
I am new to Tiki forum and i just love it...i think that is owesome to have access to so many people with same interest.
Well i need help.
I lived i Europe before and i loved making sculptures from material colled "Siporex". I live in Canada now and there i nothing similar to "my" material.
Reading coments on internet and your coments on AAC i think that AAC is actually material that i used back home or it is very similar.
Please tall me where i can find it and how it goes with shipping.
I promiss you that you will like my work...
Thanks
Maja

View Profile of maja Send a personal message to maja      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-22 12:49 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC, Maja! This Post covers everything I could dig up while researching AAC Block. Hope you get some, and show us your work when you do.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation