FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
maja

Posted: 2005-06-23 07:50 am   Permalink

Thanks for so fast answer...it is GREAT...
Hope that i will have my "rock" some time soon.
Thanks again.
Maja

View Profile of maja Send a personal message to maja      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 8:19 pm   Permalink

Makita just came out with a new version of their 4.5" angle grinder, the 9527PB.

It's the one with the paddle switch and it's got a 7+ Amp motor. I have one on it's way I hope at the store and I'll grab the Lancelot 14 and 22 tooth and see what those do for me. I got a Dremel style grinder with a flex shaft and an array of burrs and stuff for it. I am holding off on all of it for now and just using my mallet and flat chisels. I have the Irwin Marples set and they have worked great right out of the box. I am ordering some gouges soon through either Big Horn or Japan Woodworking. I am very lucky I can order at Wholesale through work.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 04:46 am   Permalink

Swanky, just a few tips for this "asking for trouble" tool you seek.....

I use them alot and have learned from nothing but experience. I have (4) of the high amp Makita's with all different chain combos on them because I'm too lazy to stop and change them out. I prefer the one's with the manual switch's on them. You'll find that with the paddle switchs as you turn the grinder in different angles to carve, your hands are always moving into positions that make it hard to keep the paddle down. It's easier to just turn it on and leave it running for me.

The Lancelot 14 tooth is the ticket. It takes out big wood and does not hang up as bad as the 22 tooth. The 22 tooth's chain is narrower and does not work side to side as well as the thicker tooth 14 chain. You'll get a feel for it, but please be very careful with these things. They are VERY dangerous. My son in law just almost took his finger off with one about a week ago as I almost did about a year ago. Watch your step carefully around the log as you do not want to trip with this thing running in your hands. This could be BAD. Watch your hand grab the handle each time you you grab it. It's easy to stick your fingers right into the chain if you do not pay attention.

You can re-sharpen these chains, but it is a pain in the ass. I just use them for a few tikis and them chunk them. Is easier to buy new ones for $18.00 a piece. Palm will dull them faster than say white pine due to the water content in the log.

I have also carved with the chain guard off before, but I do not recommend it at all. I removed it to use the smaller Squire because the guard is in the way and does not allow you to get as deep as with the other two (Lancelots). I am "MR. Safety" at this point.....

Also watch the cord hanging down into your work area....I have cut the cord more than once and survived being shocked time and time again. The last thing you want is for the cord to get wrapped up and have this thing jerked out of yours hands before you even know it....It's easy to do because it hangs in the way sometimes, especially when you get going and don't want to stop. I usually tie it up around my waist to secure it and keep it out of the way to keep from tripping over it or cutting it. Half the time the cord ends up between my flip flop and the bottom of my heal. How's this always happens I have no clue......but it does.

Also, take a break every now and then and blow out the grinder with air or something because it sucks sawdust into it and will start running hot and you will burn it up. Keep it clean also around the switch so you can shut it down when you want.

Well I hope these tips can help you some and keep you safe and out of harm's way with this thing. It sure makes faster work on the rough out, then you can clean up with the chisles and Dremel.

Now that I have you scared to death of this wood chomping time saver, good Luck and please be careful!

G.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 05:05 am   Permalink

Couldn't have scared em better G.

The Lancelot commands mucho respect and caution. While it's value as a material remover is very high, the danger factor is also as high. Be careful and "think" while this thing is 'on' It will cut what it hits...period.

Take your time and be safe.

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 05:21 am   Permalink

good safety tips TikiG...I only use an angle grinder but
even that can get spun out of yer hands if not careful...
gotta be careful all the time...even riding a motorcycle..
which I re-learned recently.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 07:24 am   Permalink

Do you set the handle on the grinder the way King Arthur suggests? (That sounds weird.) It's funny you suggest using the "dead man" switch instead of the paddle switch and then tell me how to avoid being bitten by the machine using the dead man switch! I hear ya though. And I'll take your suggestions. Throw the cord over my shoulder, watch the little sucker. Be freakin careful.

The plus side of the paddle switch is the new higher Amps. It's not available on the dead man switch model which is 6.4 Amps.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 10:49 am   Permalink

Swanky, I'm just saying it's easier for me to use the deadman switch over the paddle. Maybe not for you. I also learned how to keep from getting bit using the deadman switch. I use the Makita 9564 9.5 amp 4-1/2" grinders.

Link here:
http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=product_det&tag=9564

I have used the 9524 5.0 amp ones for many a tiki carvings and they hold up just fine. Lighter and smaller to handle too. And cheaper..... Tried the Dewalts also. They are cheaper made and vibrate apart after while it seems. Just do not seem a s solid as the Makitas and don't trust them for some reason. The ones I use are a little longer and heavier but blast the wood away, oh yeah. I invested in the larger amped ones because I want them to last. I chop at a lot of wood these days. I have carved at least 300 tikis over the last 3-1/2 years using these things and have learned alot about this badass tool.

Look on ebay to get your replacement chains from Stimpson Tools. You can usually pick them up a little cheaper from them and they do not charge shipping most of the time.

Link here: http://stores.ebay.com/STIMPSON-SALES-WOODWORKING-TOOLS_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm

When I use the thing I hold the grinder with my right hand and put my left hand on the handle. I use it just like you you see the grinder in the link I included. Make sure you put the chain on the right way too or it will not cut right either. Also eye protection and a respirator are a good idea too.

Oh yeah, be prepared to get dusty and dirty as well.

Before using the thing and after pics below, and this is just stripping the log.

Flip Flops are optional.......

Any more questions just ask. Glad to help out.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki G. 2005-09-07 10:55 ]

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 10:25 pm   Permalink

Wow... I think I need a Lancelot. Will my $14.99 Harbor Freight 4.5 amp cheapie angle grinder have the juice to run it, or should I wait until I upgrade?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 03:14 am   Permalink

I have been runniing a lancelot on a cheapie Harbor Freight 4 1/2 " grinder for nearly a year. Tiki G carves far more than most of us ever will, and probably requires the gusto in his tools in order to be efficient. I'm just a weekend hacker and see no reason to go out and buy anything until it breaks. Then I upgrade.

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 07:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-07 22:25, doubravsky wrote:
Wow... I think I need a Lancelot. Will my $14.99 Harbor Freight 4.5 amp cheapie angle grinder have the juice to run it, or should I wait until I upgrade?

The big thing I find that serarates our cheap $20 angle grinder from the nice Makita is smooth operation. The cheap ones tend to vibrate so much you can't take it. The Makita does not. Our Makitas are maybe twice the cheapos, but it's worthin it if you use it for much time. If you are just grinding off a fence post once, go for the cheap. If you are gonna use the Lancealot, you might consider an upgrade.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 08:08 am   Permalink

Has anyone tried the 2inch mini angle grinder by Merlin?
It looks very handy for details.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 08:11 am   Permalink

Oops. There it is !
Merlin....Just saw it under Lancelot in above post.
How does it do in small spaces?

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-08 10:51 am   Permalink

Hellotiki,

I have burn't two of them up already. The last one last week as a matter of fact. I love the tool, but not for heavy use. Light usage for detailing and smoothing yeah, but for digging out behind teeth and what not no. At about $125.00 a pop it get's expensive. I used the percival from King Arthurs tools on it mostly. They have a variable speed on them and I always ran'em wide open. Good for final sanding because of the angle. Better than the Arbortech mini griders because they do not have a belt drive which slips under load.

Good tool, but cannot take a heavy load for very long....

G.

tikijohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-10-07 12:17 pm   Permalink

Crap or Not
Is anyone family with the tool on this ebay auction? I'm really looking for a Ryobi DC-500 (it a small handheld power chisel) but they're a little expensive.

Has any one purchased one of these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-RECIPROCATING-CARVING-TOOL-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ7550297137QQcategoryZ57125QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

View Profile of tikijohn Send a personal message to tikijohn  Email tikijohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-07 3:32 pm   Permalink

I have not seen this one by Ryobi, but have seen the same recrip carvers by others. Looks like it will hold the whole line of Flexcut chisel bits. As long as you are not carving 6 ft tikis it will work like a dream.I have one by Wecheer for the foredom and I have a heavy duty one by Arbortech that fits onto a 4 -4 1/2 inch angle grinder. If you can get it for under $50, it is Very much worth it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation