FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Carvers Use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
Tools Carvers Use
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-07 9:36 pm   Permalink

The nice thing about the Foredom is the flex shaft. The Ryobi looks a little awkward to handle and not so easy to get into those tough little nooks & crannies and odd angles that always come up. The nice thing about flex shaft type tools is that you can use them to run burrs and all kinds of other spinning tools (both 1/8" and 1/4" drive), then pull off the handpiece and do a quick change to a Wecheer (or other) reciprocating chisel handpiece. If I could only have one power tool that would be it because of its versatility.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-08 01:18 am   Permalink

Over all the tools discussed, I prefer the "Left Handed Monkey Wrench." Does wonders!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-08 09:24 am   Permalink

I just got me the Arbortech Power Chisel.
It has changed my life.
And now, I'm the envy of every guy on the block!
Golly!

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-08 11:26 am   Permalink

I went overboard and got the arbortech power chisel, and then the Foredon and Wecheer recip. carver. Love them both!!!!

If I had to pick, I'd probably take just the Arbortech 'cause it moves so much wood so fast.. butI like the Foredom for the small tattooing kind of detail.

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 1:12 pm   Permalink

I agree, the Arbortech is a Heavy duty power chisel and the Wecheer is perfect for the detail. It does Wonders for the Moko!. Glad you like it.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-02 9:05 pm   Permalink

Does anyone use the Kutzall 4" grinder wheel? I have one, love it a lot, takes off a lot of wood, but it has gotten loaded up with palm cuttings. What's the best way to remove them?

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-04 10:46 am   Permalink

You should be able to use a propane torch and a heavy duty wire brush to get the grime out.
There is some chemical stuff they make and sell to remove the pitch from sawblades which May work too. I Know the torch works fropm experience.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-20 04:27 am   Permalink

Aloha ben!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to thank you for your help figuring out what tools to get to help my carving get better. YOU truly are a MAN who cares about other artists and someone who wants to see us all get better and doesnt care about his own ego. MUCH MAHALO, and to all of my other brothers and sisters BEN is the real deal and will help each and everyone here , MUCH MAHALO again my brother, Aloha your friend , mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 5:33 pm   Permalink

Ben-
What else would I need to make this a complete setup? This is a WECHEER RECIPROCATING HANDPIECE.

I getting my Christmas want list together. I hope I've been good this year.
moon

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-11-23 17:38 ]

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 6:22 pm   Permalink

Moon, I have the Weecher and the blades that come with it aren't very good.

I bought these for my handpiece, and they work great. You can also buy a palm handle for these also

Here is a link for the set.
http://www.flexcut.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16169&cat=250&page=1

and the Palm Handle.
http://www.flexcut.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=16166&cat=250&page=1

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 6:44 pm   Permalink

Thanks Tikimecula!
I just saw those 14 bit sets on ebay (starting @ $97.00b buy it now $119.00) I guess you have to pay to play!
moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-23 10:03 pm   Permalink

Has anyone heard of this manufactor or ever purchased from this seller??
http://stores.ebay.com/German-Carving-Chisels_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

Moon

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-11-23 22:04 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-24 07:52 am   Permalink

What you need to go with your Wecheer recip carver is a Flexshaft machine. I have an Old Fordam and a new cheapie that works great and is offered by a respectable jewelry tool company as an "Economy" tool for $66, Very inexpensive for flexshafts.
http://www.contenti.com/products/flexshafts/236-971.html

Of course if you want the best, you get a Fordom flex shaft from here,
http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=127-1100

And the Newest tool from Fordam is their #50 handpiece, a recip carver for the same $ as the wecheer, http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=127-1450

Treeline also gives a 10% discount on all FlexCut chisel tips when you buy 5 or more and they stand behind their products. I broke 2 new Wecheers and they repplaced them both within days.
They Also sell the Arbortech Power chisel

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-24 08:00 am   Permalink

Moon, I have never heard of those chisels but Have used the Hirsch brand which are VERY Good tools. They look identical and are priced about right.

JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-09 4:21 pm   Permalink

Since Finkdaddy's tiki bit him I think this is relevant. I posted in his postings but thought it would be good here as well.

Check out this link for protective tape you wrap around your fingers. It is used a lot in factories that handle parts with sharp edges or operations that require trimming with knives. It won't stop a cut from happening , but can help prevent incidental contact and offers a layer of protection. You still have to be careful but it is better than raw skin. I don't use as often as I should, but even with the tape on your fingers are nimble. Lawyer speak-disclaimer etc, etc.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/searchresults.jsp?search_type=keywordandcatmfgindx&QueryString=finger+tape&catindx1=&catindx2=&xi=xi

If it doesn't take you to the product, type "finger tape" in the search field.

JP

[ This Message was edited by: JohnnyP 2006-01-09 16:22 ]

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation