FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ General Tiki ╗ ╗ The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 03:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-03 08:10, bigbrotiki wrote:

This is a rare item now, that vacu-form plastic is very fragile, but TC's Swanky just scored one on e-bay for very little money.
I wanted one ever since I had seen them on the walls of the Tiki Ti in LA, where they have been re-engineered as wall sconces lighting their cocktail menu (sans feet). Can someone maybe post a photo of that?

This?

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-03 09:42, Volcano Girl wrote:
The only establishment that I had heard of back then that was Polynesian (besides our own) was the one at Disneyland. We had been there about a year or so before Dad opened the Volcano. Mom said that she remembers that Dad had visited Anne Langford's (?) place in Ft. Lauderdale, and I can only guess that she is referring to the Mai-Tai there. However, I can't seem to find a reference to Anne Langford with any of the historical information online about the Mai-Tai. I got the impression that they were sort of friendly competitors, so it's possible that Dad either borrowed the bowl from them or had one of his own. Maybe when the place closed the Mai-Kai got some of the ephemera?? Unless someone knows anyone at the Mai-Kai to talk to, I don't think we'll ever really know some of these specifics.

Maybe your thinking of Frances Langford's Outrigger in Jensen Beach. Here's a thread about the place:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=13970&forum=2

The Mai Kai likely had the bowl years before The Volcano opened and it did say "Mai Kai" on the side. A few people here know the owners of the Mai Kai and maybe could ask if they remember anything about The Volcano.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-04 7:04 pm   Permalink

I spoke with Mom again last night. I told her I had trouble finding Anne Langford on Google (in relation to Ft. Lauderdale or Mai-Kai), and she said, "Oh, did I say Anne? I meant Frances...Frances Langford, and I'm not sure if her place was in Ft. Lauderdale or not." So you were right, Kono! Good to know the place was in Jensen Beach. That makes a lot more sense, since we were in the Orlando area at the time. Not that Dad didn't go to the Mai-Kai a time or two, but Mom said that he was always talking about Langford's place. I also asked about Trader Vic's, and her recollection is that they had not gone there until AFTER we had already moved from Winter Haven.

Here's the last of the photos you haven't seen, with the exception of the newspaper photos and articles, although they aren't any big deal. I guess I was more than 2/3 done (more like 90%). I had problems with my computer last night, so a couple of the photos I had worked on I had to re-do today. I also tried using two other photo programs that the scanner suggested, but I couldn't maneuver around in them as well as this Microsoft one.

Anyway, here's the same shot with two different kinds of enhancement. It's the same photo but two different copies as well. Both were flawed, as you can see by the big spot on the bottom left of the first, and the scratches near the top of the second. This picture was taken in the dining room. You can see some of the thatched huts, as well as more seating in the background. I couldn't get it to come in any sharper than this. Those darn Instamatic cameras don't give near the sharpness of a 35 mm, but that's all we had at the time! I guess these pictures are better than nothing!

This is the actor, Cornel Wilde. I don't know who the woman is.

This is Otto Graham, who I understand (from my husband and son) was an NFL player, though I'm not sure which team. The guys thought maybe it was the Chicago Bears. This photo is definitely taken in one of the bar areas, but I can't tell if it was in the Lava Club, or the Tiki Lounge (Bora-Bora?). The tables are different than the ones that were used in the dining room.

These last two are a couple of shots of a few Red Sox players, probably from the 68 or 69 team(s). If anyone is interested, maybe a photo roster of them could be found online somewhere. They are apparently seated next to the rock wall closest to 6th St (the far side of the dining room). Mom said that the far wall was the one with the waterfall windows, but if that's true, you can't really see it from either of these shots.

I'm going to try to work on some of the newspaper articles next, and then maybe a sketch of the layout.

Oh! I tried to zoom in on the Mai-Kai bowl for everyone. Enjoy!

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 9:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Volcano Girl you are the best!

Now you just need to find the owners of the two cameras on the table, get those pictures and scan them. Thank you in advance.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2007-03-04 21:28 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-04 9:34 pm   Permalink

I just found one more! This is Vikki Carr - a popular singer in the 60's (she's the blonde with the pink umbrella). This looks to me like it was in the Tiki Lounge. I don't know why I feel that about this picture, but it's a gut feeling.

Here's a picture of my Dad's house before it was transformed into the restaurant building. Mom thinks that the front porch became the Tiki Lounge, but she's not sure. If that's the case, then the Bora Bora (atrium) would be from the part on the left. The dining room would be to the left of that (that part didn't exist in this picture). The front of the house was facing north, and Joe's room was on that second floor on the right corner. The kitchen area was on the ground floor, behind the Bora Bora and the lounge.

Just for grins, here's the side of Dad's old house, the side that faced Lake Howard. It was pretty big. All I know of this house is from the stories I've heard. I've only seen pictures of it, and have no recollection of visiting there personally. Perhaps my older three siblings remember it somewhat. I was just too young to have ever been aware of this house.

Mom did say that she had more that she didn't send. She said that the pictures she held back were even darker than the ones she sent me. I'm trying to persuade her to send them anyway, and let me get them refurbished by a professional, so we'll see. I'm also thinking of making a trip back home in the next month or so, and if I do go, I'll try to hunt for more in the attic. Apparently she had tucked this stuff away in a closet.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-04 9:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-04 21:27, Bora Boris wrote:
Thanks Volcano Girl you are the best!

Now you just need to find the owners of the two cameras on the table, get those pictures and scan them. Thank you in advance.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2007-03-04 21:28 ]

Now THAT would be completely awesome!!

exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 10:12 pm   Permalink

Wow! I should be sleeping right now, but I got so wrapped up with this I had to read it all.
Thank-you so much for sharing all of this with us.

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 07:13 am   Permalink

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 07:25 am   Permalink

I've been meaning to check this thread out for a while & finally had time this morning (when I am supposed to be writing a proposal for work....). WOW! It's amazing what a few TCers can dig-up in a short amount of time - Thanks Volcano Girl for sharing your memories & pictures!!!!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 07:48 am   Permalink

Quote:
These last two are a couple of shots of a few Red Sox players, probably from the 68 or 69 team(s). If anyone is interested, maybe a photo roster of them could be found online somewhere. They are apparently seated next to the rock wall closest to 6th St (the far side of the dining room). Mom said that the far wall was the one with the waterfall windows, but if that's true, you can't really see it from either of these shots.

To the best of my detective work I believe I've come up with names for these three 'most famous' Red Sox Players! All three members of what Red Sox fans call the 1967 Impossible Dream Team. From Left to right - Carl Yastrzemski, Tony Conigliaro, and Jim Lonborg

In 1967 The Red Sox won the American league pennant and brought their world series matchup with the St Louis Cardinals to game seven. The Sox didn't win the world series but so many heroes were born to the young boy in Boston in the summer of 1967, these three were among those heroes.
The shot above, from The Volcano in 68 or 69, shows the friendship of the three and their ability to share a laugh! They obviously knew where to have that good time!

Carl Yastrzemski and Jim Lonborg are still alive today. Lonborg is a practicing dentist in Massachusetts even today, unfortunately Tony Conigliaro died at the age of 45 in 1990 after a number of tragic incidents in his life.

Jim Lonborg enjoyed seven seasons (1965-71) with the Sox, and is probably most noted for his magical 1967 season.
"No player in the history of the World Series, before or since, did what Jim Lonborg did in 1967, Lonborg still holds the record for the fewest hits given up in back-to-back starts, when he was simply brilliant in Games Two and Five in the great Series with the St. Louis Cardinals that year." - Boston Globe

Carl Yastrzemski enjoyed his best season in 1967, when he won the American League Triple Crown with a .326 batting average, 44 home runs (tied with Harmon Killebrew) and 121 RBI. He is the last hitter to have won the Triple Crown as of the 2006 season (six different pitchers have since won the pitchers' version). He was voted Most Valuable Player almost unanimously (one voter chose CÚsar Tovar of the Twins). That year, Yastrzemski also won the Hickok Belt as top professional athlete of the year and Sports Illustrated magazine's "Sportsman of the Year" Award.

In 1967 Tony Conigliaro at age 22, became the youngest American League player to reach a career total of 100 home runs. On August 18, 1967, the Red Sox were playing the Angels at Fenway Park. Conigliaro, batting against Jack Hamilton, was hit by a pitch on his left cheekbone, and was carried off the field on a stretcher. He sustained a broken cheekbone and severe damage to his left retina. The batting helmet he was wearing did not have the protective earflap that has since become standard.

A year and a half later, (Around the time of this Volcano picture)Conigliaro made a remarkable return, hitting 20 homers with 82 RBI in 141 games, earning Comeback Player of the Year honors.

What legends!
I was born in 1960 in the Boston area and these three are among my heroes. I was thrilled to see this picture! Thanks Volcano Girl!

[ This Message was edited by: jpmartdog 2007-03-05 09:33 ]

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 07:50 am   Permalink

You are all welcome, and I am very glad that we have all worked together to learn as much as we've been able to so far.

I was just looking around in this stash that Mom sent, and realized that there was a small envelope with a few slides. One looks particularly promising, with a view of (perhaps) one of the covered walkways. I don't have a projector or anything to view the details of it closely, so I really can't tell what I'm looking at until I see it enlarged. Does anyone know how to make a scan of a slide? Do I need to take it somewhere to be developed first? Any input would be appreciated!

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 08:07 am   Permalink

JP-

Just wow!!! That is really sweet sleuthing!! I can't wait to share this with the family! My just-a-bit-older-than-me brother was probably following them closely as well. He would be particularly thrilled at your info. He was born late in '58, and I was born in very early 1960.

By any chance, if you followed the team closely, do you have any recollection of a player or anyone associated with the Red Sox of that time frame with a last name of Ostrander, or Olstrander, or something along those lines? That was the surname of the rather large family that went to my school for the second half of the year. There must have been at least 8, possibly 11, kids that exited that stretch station wagon. The girl in my class was named LuAnn. I can't find anyone rostered with that name, so I was wondering if it was someone who might have been an assistant of some type.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 08:53 am   Permalink

Aloha Volcano Girl,

You should be able to take all the slides to a Cord Camera or similiar photo store and they can transfer the slides over to a CDR for you. I recently had this done with a bunch of Korla Pandit slides and they came out really nice.

Cheers,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 09:12 am   Permalink

Mahalo!

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 09:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-04 19:04, Volcano Girl wrote:
This is Otto Graham, who I understand (from my husband and son) was an NFL player, though I'm not sure which team. The guys thought maybe it was the Chicago Bears. This photo is definitely taken in one of the bar areas, but I can't tell if it was in the Lava Club, or the Tiki Lounge (Bora-Bora?). The tables are different than the ones that were used in the dining room.

Otto Everett Graham Jr., Quarterback for the Cleveland Browns from '46-'55. He also led the Rochester Royals to an NBA title in the '45-'46 season.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation