FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-03-05 09:39 am   Permalink

Otto Graham was the quarterback for the Cleveland Browns in the 1950's, and led them to multiple national championships. In 1999 the Sporting News listed him as #7 on their list of the greatest NFL players of all time.

I love the picture of Vikki Carr, as she is one of my favorite singers. Those of you have Capital's Ultra Lounge Series may remember her voice from the 'Crime Scene' CD. Vikki sings the Burlesque sounding song 'The Silencers' to a great Elmer Bernstein arrangement. The song's lyrics include ....

"But if you should see a lady who,
Has the kind of waist that measures twenty-two,
And she's thirty-eight where it is great to measure 38,
Dear Sir: She is a Silencer"
Dear Sir: I'm Her"

That song was from the soundtrack to the Dean Martin 'Matt Helm' spy film.

I love the photos and history of the Volcano -- and now I wonder if it is possible that Vikki Carr actually sang 'The Silencers' that night at the Volcano .... it wouldn't get any better than that.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 09:43 am   Permalink

Here is a video of The Silencers, but sung by Joi Lansing - check it out here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpbF9H0Taa0

and here is a little Vicki Carr!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QAlisxtZyA

[ This Message was edited by: jpmartdog 2007-03-05 09:48 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jpmartdog 2007-03-07 15:52 ]

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-05 10:36 am   Permalink

Here is a picture of the Mai Kai bowl.
Yours looks like it has something other than
Mai Kai on the side.
And yes, the Tropical Bistro date has changed.
It is the 6th of march, Tomorrow at 8:00.
Hope to see you there.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-04 19:04, Volcano Girl wrote:

Is there a date on this picture? That's the original Harper Mystery Bowl the Mai Kai used in the beginning. Looks like the design on the side with the flower they had along with their logo. It is still not clear if the Mai Kai had the Mystery Drink in 1957 when they opened, or if it started later. These folks look to be more mid-sixties by the hair style. Could be wrong though.

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2007-03-05 11:42 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 11:54 am   Permalink

Mom has told me that she thinks these photos of the luau at Cypress Gardens were for the Press Association, and to her recollection that would have been sometime in January, 1968 just before opening. According to a Lakeland Ledger newspaper article dated Jan. 12, 1968 (I haven't finished the enhancement to this one yet), the opening was only days away. The writer of the article, Jean Higgins, was most likely at that luau (and also at the restaurant site, based on the photos in the article). So that would be really close to an actual date of the luau, give or take a day or two.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 12:22 pm   Permalink

Tikiskip uses that Mai kai bowl for his peanuts!!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 12:36 pm   Permalink

JC & tikiskip - That's a riot! I love it!

Also, I need for one of you to tell me whether or not the meet and greet starts at 7 or 8. Of course, I could shoot for 7:30 and probably be okay, right?! About how long should I plan to be there? I live on the other side of town, plus I will probably need to be back home in time to tell my youngest to get to bed. I'm hoping my husband will be coming also, doubling the reason why junior will try to postpone his HW and stay up later than he should.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zombiepops
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 1:17 pm   Permalink

This topic has to be one of the coolest things I've run across on Tiki Central. A big thanks to everyone who has dug up interesting tidbits on the volcano, and an extra big thanks to Volcano Girl for telling us all her and her family's stories about the volcano.

Zombiepops

View Profile of zombiepops Send a personal message to zombiepops      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-05 1:51 pm   Permalink

The drinks are 1/2 price after 9:00.
Coincidentaly this seems to be the time everyone gets
there.
But my wife and I will shoot for 8:00.
Jeff what time are you going?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 4:03 pm   Permalink

I spoke to Pia at the Mai-Kai about that luau picture. She showed it to the Thornton's (for those not aware, they are the owners) and honestly, I'm not trying to dispute the picture at all, but they claim it looks to them like a Mai-Kai catered event. I'm not so inclined to believe that because they identified the mugs as the Mara Amu mug, but I'm not aware of the Tiki Leilani mugs ever being used for the Mara Amu. But it would explain presence of the mystery bowl.

Anyhoo, for those of you who like a little controversy, rant on...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 5:01 pm   Permalink

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 5:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 16:03, GatorRob wrote:
She showed it to the Thornton's (for those not aware, they are the owners) and honestly, I'm not trying to dispute the picture at all, but they claim it looks to them like a Mai-Kai catered event.

Based on what? The polynesian theme?

The bowl is the only tie to the Mai-Kai. If they (Mai-Kai) catered an event thats a 3+ hours drive away for a national press event, at a well known tourist attraction (Cypress Gardens), you'd think they'd have more specific memories of this happening.

With The Volcano being just a couple of miles away, I think its more likely that they did the catering, bowl be damned. Why else would Volcano Mom have the pics?

Hell, I'd pick the Hawaiian Inn as being the caterers before the Mai-Kai due to proximity and all the Leilanis!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 5:56 pm   Permalink

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-05 5:59 pm   Permalink

Volcano Girl- It's been a while since I checked out this thread and am totally blown away by your images and collection. Very cool place, wish I could have seen it in action!

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-05 7:04 pm   Permalink

Hey Volcano Girl, Skip, Jeff...hope to see you all tommorow night!

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation