FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
Sweetbeak

Posted: 2007-03-08 7:52 pm   Permalink

VG- it was so nice to meet you the other night. The menus were amazing in person and I loved looking at all of the pictures. What a great family history. My dad was a butcher and owned a very small slaughter house and while we always had a blast spending the day at work with him (I know it sounds horrifying but we got to do a lot of really fun stuff!) it really doesn't compare with owning a polynesian restaurant. It's good that you were old enough to remember so much. Thanks for sharing. And it's quite impressive how everyone has managed to dig up so many details. It's been a facinating read!

View Profile of Sweetbeak Send a personal message to Sweetbeak  Email Sweetbeak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-09 06:18 am   Permalink

Hey Volcano girl.
It was great to meet you and your husband Phil!
I thought we could see more in the photos you had
seeing them in person.
But no. You did a great job posting them!
Also we will have both of you over and remake
those drinks.
The Bistro dose have cheap, Well everything.
It was so cool to have a Bora Bora after all
those years! And your first!
Here we are,Jeff Central,Volcano Girl,Tikiskip.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-09 1:32 pm   Permalink

The photos are better seen on TC than in person. They are too small in real life to see any details at all.

I've just finished enhancing another one of the articles. It was in the Ledger with a date of Friday, Sept. 6, 1968.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-10 04:53 am   Permalink

What a spectacular time!!

This was the BEST "meet and greet" so far by the FOM.

Yes, next time a visit to Tikiskip's will be in order.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hula Cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-10 10:43 am   Permalink

Another echo of excitement after reading this thread......after a too long winter this gets the blood moving again!....it's great to see the enthusiasm,fun and passion this forum fosters..(seeing some of my favorite Red Sox players involved is a bonus!) ....all this has given further impetus to continue the Kahiki book project.....as you might guess to really honor the Kahiki's place in poly pop history involves much. ......so many lives and so many stories! !my problem is the magnitude and breadth of such a greatness and how to keep that spirit alive...with the continued help of all you T.C.ers.... it WILL HAPPEN!.....Ma halo "Volcano" you have re-inspired my creative magma.

[ This Message was edited by: Hula Cat 2009-08-18 09:55 ]

View Profile of Hula Cat Send a personal message to Hula Cat  Email Hula Cat Goto the website of Hula Cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-10 5:37 pm   Permalink

I think somewhere in this thread (and in some Mai Kai related quotes) I saw it mentioned that Mai Kai was the only Polynesian themed place in Florida... Now I know everyone knows that ain't so! Hehehehe!!!

All in good fun. This thread is amazing! Any body gone down and photo's the remains yet? Such a shame. But at least theres a building still standing... It didn't completely parking lot-itised.

TG

http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-11 09:53 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-10 17:37, TikiGardener wrote:
Any body gone down and photo's the remains yet? Such a shame. But at least theres a building still standing... It didn't completely parking lot-itised.

Plan to. It's just been a busy time for me lately. I'm sure someone will before long. I don't really expect to find much there however.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-12 08:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-10 10:43, Hula Cat wrote:
Another echo of excitement after reading this thread......after a too long winter this gets the blood moving again!....it's great to see the enthusiasm,fun and passion this forum fosters..(seeing some of my favorite Red Sox players involved is a bonus!) ....all this has given further impetus to Melissa and myself to continue our Kahiki book project.....as you might guess to really honor the Kahiki's place in poly pop history involves much. ......so many lives and so many stories! ! our problem is the magnitude and breadth of such a greatness and how to keep that spirit alive...with the continued help of all you T.C.ers.... it WILL HAPPEN!.....Ma halo "Volcano" you have re-inspired our creative magma.

Hula Cat, when you get that Kahiki book finished, would you let me know? Even though I had only been there two or three times, the ambience there was just so similar to the Volcano. It was a certain "je ne se quois" (sp?) that I can't quite put my finger on. My husband and I talked about this on our drive home from Tropical Bistro last week. He had never (of course) been to the Volcano, but I know he and my Dad had talked about it many times, especially after we all visited the Kahiki together (probably 1998 or 1999, we figured). Dad had made the same kind of comments about the atmosphere there. What is amazing is that Dad had never heard of the Kahiki until we introduced him to it. I thought Dad knew every great restaurant in every town and city across America! I know that sounds absurd, but he reviewed restaurants as a hobby, and wrote about them for an independent local paper in Gainesville.

A quick update for others following along:

I did receive a few more photos from Mom over the weekend, and have been trying to enhance them. She was right...they are very dark and of pretty poor quality. Lots of scratches and blemishes. I guess it's just that I can see there are some details in them that are just...out...of...sight (darn!). I keep trying to get those things to come into closer view because I think they provide further clues. For instance, in one I can see that there are three large dark images, similar to the dark picture hanging behind the bar in one of the lounge (Lava Club) photos. Problem is, you can't really make out what they were images of. In another you can see a table set for a banquet or other event, but it's too dark down the table to see what is in the background. I can see that it's a part of the dining room, and it would be helpful for me to see it more clearly. It would help me remember just how Dad had this place laid out. I am particularly frustrated by his sketches. They still don't make any sense to me. It's like they are an extension of the restaurant, but where?

So I'm sorry I'm not posting as much. I'm trying really hard to put together these memories that are sketchy. The basic ideas are there, but the nuances are so hidden and mysterious right now. To add to my frustration, I've somehow "lost" some of the pictures and documents I've scanned. I'm sure they must be on my computer somewhere, but which folder, and where? I think I scanned a few things things in that may have overwritten other files. So as soon as I find them, I'll get them posted. I know you all are interested in more, and it will come...eventually!

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-15 8:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-05 16:03, GatorRob wrote:
I spoke to Pia at the Mai-Kai about that luau picture. She showed it to the Thornton's (for those not aware, they are the owners) and honestly, I'm not trying to dispute the picture at all, but they claim it looks to them like a Mai-Kai catered event. I'm not so inclined to believe that because they identified the mugs as the Mara Amu mug, but I'm not aware of the Tiki Leilani mugs ever being used for the Mara Amu. But it would explain presence of the mystery bowl.

Anyhoo, for those of you who like a little controversy, rant on...

First of all, I've stumbled upon this thread a little late - I guess alot late. I'm just too busy, I must make time for TC. Karbora, thanks so much for giving me a nudge to take a look, this thread is amazing.

And Volcano Girl - amazing - thank you so much for sharing with us. Please keep everything coming. It's just what we need here on Tiki Central.

Not to add to the controversy - because there surely shouldn't be one, but the photos on page 6 of this thread are definitely of the Mai Kai dancers. These pictures were among the many I scanned for the family for the photo exhibit last year. Here's one of them:

But like Mrs. Thorton has told me, so many of the dancers and those from the Islands knew each other and would travel to other Polynesian themed restaurants all over Florida.

This is definitely a Mai Kai show. Even some of the dancers are Mrs. Thorton and Toti is in the picture, still employed by the Mai Kai today.

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-03-15 20:23 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-15 9:03 pm   Permalink

Thank you, tiki kiliki, for sharing your photos, too. Last week, when I met some of the FOM at the Tropical Bistro, tikiskip looked at my photos and said that he was pretty sure those were Mai-Kai dancers also. So that seems to be the consensus on the entertainment.

Along with that info, I have been able to find another picture among the ones my Mom recently sent (that I'm still working on) where the brown mugs in the luau shot were shown on dining/banquet tables that was taken inside the Volcano. I'll post it when I'm finished with it. I have not found any pics with the mystery bowl in them, so I can only guess that the Mai-Kai may have provided that as well as the entertainment.

I apologize that I haven't been on TC since I last posted until just now. I had a few unexpected health problems going on with two of my children that needed immediate attention. My last few days have been completely swamped. So this afternoon was the first time I have been able to be near a computer for days. I've found some of those missing files I was looking for. I think there may still be a few more, but I am not going to spend any more time looking for those. Needless to say, I am having a few computer problems too. It keeps shutting down on me right when I'm in the middle of enhancing! So all I have for now are just a few of the recipe pages. As things progress, I'll post more.

Individual recipes (notice Mom's handwritten note in the bottom left corner):

Recipes for larger quantities:

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 06:05 am   Permalink

Those recipes are interesting. I like that they call for Leilani Rum, which was made in Hawaii, but stopped production in the 70s I think. I have a bit of it. A nice white rum. Could you make that a little more readable? Lots of ingredients tend to mean a real recipe. Complexity was not the hallmark of blandness, so these may be worth testing.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 08:42 am   Permalink

Volcano Girl - Thank you so much for posting those recipies!! There's many of us that will enjoy mixing those up! I sent you a PM - get back to me when you can.

Again, many mahalos for sharing with us. This thread is incredible. Only on Tiki Central.

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-16 08:49 am   Permalink

They do look intriguing, although I fear the ones that have 2 or 3 ounces of pineapple juice may be too sweet for my tastes, but the Boca Chica Hut and the last one look interesting. I don't know of anyone who makes Maraschino bitters anymore though.

Thanks for posting these recipes VG!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-16 12:38 pm   Permalink

This is all I've been able to get done so far. I'll post more as I get them finished.
Also, these are obviously from the recipes for the big batches that were made.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-16 2:14 pm   Permalink

I have seen those before!
They were all drinks invented by
Don the Beachcomber.

Just kidding.
Thanks Volcano Girl.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation