FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-16 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-16 14:14, tikiskip wrote:
I have seen those before!
They were all drinks invented by
Don the Beachcomber.

Just kidding.
Thanks Volcano Girl.

I'm on to YOU, pal!!

Here's a few more that I got done before the program went berserk again.

This is the beginning of the individual serving size recipes:

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-16 6:25 pm   Permalink

OK, I think these are the last of the recipes.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-19 3:32 pm   Permalink

Wow! Just found this thread today! Amazing! Guess that's what I get for spending more time drinking than reading.
Thanks, Volcano Girl for sharing all of those amazing photos and everything else. I'm definitely excited about trying out some of the drink recipes when I get home tonight!

Simply stunning.

An additional comment about the Mai Kai bowl. It appears that the luau photos depict a mystery bowl without the Mai Kai logo (or is my eyesight that bad?). An early version, I think, is what someone had guessed. Is it possible that the bowls were being used in other places without the Mai Kai imprint? Many mug manufacturers supplied the same designs to multiple restaurants. I'm wondering whether that's a possibility here. Not being up on my Mai Kai history, there might be an obvious answer to this question that I'm unaware of.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-19 7:59 pm   Permalink

I'm glad you found your way here, TikiJosh!

Here's just a couple more shots that I've gotten finished. My computer does not like how much I'm putting it through lately. I hope it will cooperate for a while more. Probably needs a good tune up.

Here's a peek at the ladies' room. The older woman is the mother of some good family friends, and the young lady is one of the hostesses, I think. Behind the older woman's hand you can see one of the big shells that was used as a sink. I think there was a sitting room portion before the actual bathroom part. With some sort of big chair. But it's hard to remember for sure. Mom thinks there was one, too, but we feel like neither of us are sure about the sitting area. Gotta wait for more info from the older siblings.

This looks like it was part of a buffet table. That looks like the same Leilani figure that bigbrotiki posted about earlier in the thread.

Here's a different view of that buffet table. Look at the wall-hanging on the right. That completely intrigues me. I used to draw a picture of a character that looked very similar to this when I was say in first or second grade, but that would have been before the restaurant opened. I'm wondering where it came from and how I would have seen it before we moved to WH. OR maybe I'm just getting my early grades mixed up. Any way, if anyone knows anything about that wall-hanging, I'd love to hear about it. I have tried cleaning up this photo as best as I can. Wish I could get more out if it (and my others!!), but I think this is as good as this one will get.

I tried to zoom in on different parts of these pics, but this is one of the only ones that came out clearly. I wish I could tell you all where the buffet table would have been located, but it just escapes me. Mom wasn't much help.

Just to reiterate what I've mentioned earlier, this last group of pictures is very hard to work with, and now my computer is having hissy fits. To top it off, there's been a lot going on in my own little family that is keeping me from making significant progress on this. So I just want you all to know to keep an eye out for more.

Also if anyone makes any of the recipes and wants to share with me their experience, I'd love to hear what you guys all think of these recipes. PLUS, if anyone has any updated information that they could share (jpmartdog, how's your lead panning out?), I would SOOOO love to hear what you've uncovered!

If anyone has questions, be sure to pipe up! You all may have some that haven't been asked that I or somebody else knows the answer to.

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-20 06:45 am   Permalink

I found one more that I forgot to upload last night. It's one from before the Volcano opened, so it must be sometime in 1967. The lagoons haven't been filled in yet, at least some of them. This is taken looking northeast. The building on the left is the nightclub. 6th Street is the road there, the restaurant building is behind the photographer, the entrance driveway from 6th is to the left (north) of the nightclub (out of view).

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 5:43 pm   Permalink

I finally got around to visiting the old Volcano location. The A frame building that we saw overhead pictures of earlier houses a nightclub called the Lagoon Nite Club.

The last shot is looking west towards Lake Howard. This sure looks like one of the buildings in your posts, Volcano Girl. The building's profile and roof are spot on with your pictures from what I can tell. Only problem is, it seems to be facing the wrong direction, from your descriptions.

I didn't go inside since I had my family with me at the time. I did poke around the building though and there weren't any details to reveal its past. What do you think Volcano Girl? Is this your building?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-02 10:12 pm   Permalink

Wow! Looks like the *happening* place in town!

..no but really: A-Frames rule, in whatever condition!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-03 06:01 am   Permalink

Nice. Thanks Rob. It's a nice ghost of the past, and it certainly hints at maybe secrets inside.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 12:26 pm   Permalink

Just bumping this thread. It was so fantastic to have all of this revealed. Kind of like King Tut's tomb being opened.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 12:29 pm   Permalink

Geoff! It's you! And you're damn right, folks should view this thread from page one to the end, it is the sort of evolving Tiki archeology that can flourish only here on TC (and that I never had enough room for in my books).

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joe Banks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 12:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the bump. This is fascinating and I would have never found it.

Mahalos!

View Profile of Joe Banks Send a personal message to Joe Banks  Email Joe Banks Goto the website of Joe Banks     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 2:36 pm   Permalink

Wow, this thread is really fascinating.

So, Valcano Girl, are you a full fledged Tikiphile yet ?

What a great place.

I'm guessing the Windows with rain falling on them may have been an idea influenced by the Mai Kai ?

Either way, What a place.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 12:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha Sven,
Yes, we're getting our tiki vibe on again after a prolonged absence from the friendly isles. I've been digitizing some of my vintage Hawaiian vinyl (Fran Langford 78s, a dozen 49th State recordings, and a batch of lps by The Polynesians), scored a few old mugs and some aloha shirts while thrifting the last few weeks, and am planning on a little tiki trip to the west coast of Florida over Labor Day weekend. I may even get around to posting a long-overdue review of Tiki Modern on Amazon, so watch out!
Okolemaluna!
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-09 12:49 pm   Permalink

Great! Any shirts I might wanna use in "The Look of Tiki" ? And did you see Dustycajun's Hawaiian Florida post? I know you have a lot of those cards --but not all of them, it's a very comprehensive collection!

Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-10 08:49 am   Permalink

Wow...I love finding threads that really surprise you! Thanks for keeping this awesome thread up VG!

View Profile of Deckhand_Davy Send a personal message to Deckhand_Davy  Goto the website of Deckhand_Davy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation