FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 09:12 am   Permalink

Haven't heard from Volcano Girl in a long while. I was hoping she'd see the pictures I posted of the Volcano building as it now looks, but I don't know if she ever did. This was a really fun thread to participate in. We need more mysteries like this to solve that end up this way! Sven, did she ever send you any of the pictures for use in a future book? That sign deserves to be preserved in a book.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 09:18 am   Permalink

PS - Glad you're back in a tiki mood Geoff. As you know, my home bar (coming together nicely right now) was directly inspired by what you were able to achieve with your bar in roughly the same space I have. We'll have a soft opening soon.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 01:35 am   Permalink

Bump!

I was reading through Tiki Road Trip the other night and came across the great picture of The Volcano in there.

Wanted to know more so I did a search here.

Amazing thread.

I can't believe I didn't see this in 2007.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-25 07:09 am   Permalink

Yeah, this is one of the all time classics on TC.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 10:32 pm   Permalink

I loved reading through this thread. Please see my new thread here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=32348&forum=2&start=last&1

It looks like The Volcano was originally part of a larger property called the Kahiki Motel and Tiki Lounge.

Also, there is some info that connects Kahiki with the Mai Kai, so that may explain the Mai Kai bowl showing up at The Volcano.

[ This Message was edited by: Mo-Eye 2009-05-14 03:43 ]

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 10:57 am   Permalink

Now here is a Volcano... Killer photos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1203028/Fiery-images-killer-volcano-claimed-36-000-lives-stirs-more.html

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 12:21 pm   Permalink

Those are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-30 8:31 pm   Permalink

still missing Volcanoe girl and her stories and history. Anyone in touch with her? Please tell her she is missed on TC.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-31 11:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-03-25 07:09, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yeah, this is one of the all time classics on TC.

To be sure. Wow!

It's one that once you find it, you have to go back to the beginning and follow all of its twists and turns to the end, looking forward to seeing it take another breath-taking step. That is a rarity in any thread, but thanks to the intimacy of Volcano Girl...

[ This Message was edited by: The Gnomon 2009-07-31 11:27 ]

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davie Ono
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-18 7:36 pm   Permalink

Mahalo. I was the eldest child of the owner of the Volcano Restaurant and Lounge in Winter Haven, Florida. I worked in the restaurant at a variety of jobs, whatever had to be done. One of them, was to go out to the Volcano and actually pull a switch -at a specified time- which made it erupt with fire. Sometimes it was made to erupt for a special birthday or similar event or timed with a signature song by the Buddy Canova Group- "Tiny Bubbles" was one of them. The lagoons also had fire coming out of the water-but only at night. Dad was classmate of Dick Pope Jr whose father opened Cypress Gardens. The lagoons had either natural gas or propane coming out of a pipe under the water and lit on top of the water. There were tiki torches as well, that I sometimes lit. The restaurant had valet parking in the evenings. The building that stands on the property now, was not part of the Volcano. It only had the 2 high roof buildings. One building was the restaurant and the other was the lounge. After the restaurant closed. The property remained vacant for a year or so. Then that building opened where the parking lot was. The parking lot was down the hill and a valet was needed to get your car. Initially, there was a small parking lot and it had to expand. The Volcano was a very busy restaurant at the time. Dad was an entertaining personality himself. He often wore brightly designed Polynesian fine silk jackets-specially made, one of a kinds while in the restaurant. He would visit each table and made sure you were taken care of. Even of the simplest of needs. There were warm moist towels at your table after your dinner. He had ice creams that were specially made for him-pink champagne,grasshopper,pink squirrel, and Irish coffee. Imagine just how it was. Disney World opened and its Polynesian Resort restaurant was nothing like his service. However, some of his dining guests were spy imagination people and they borrowed some of his ideas. Why did it close? I personally don't know... but believe it grew too fast too soon. The draw to Hawai'i is always there. What is it with its people, their customs, their favor to visitors? It is the only State that I have yet to visit. What a shame. My Polynesian name is "Kavika". In one of the pictures my sister posted... the chef...Joe was probably making "Cha Sui". Above the kitchen were rooms and offices. Joe stayed there getting only a few hours sleep and back to work in the kitchen. However, there were days that he didn't get up until early afternoon. Dad tried to be as authentic as possible. When you entered the restaurant via a board walkway over the lagoons you'd go through a cave entrance with water fall sides. It opened up to a presentation room. The Bora Bora statue was there. Turning to the right was small lounge, that served liquor and pu-pu's, the left would be the main dining room. It also featured water falls. My father was full of showmanship,trusted God, worked to please people. I would like to see the Volcano idea again. One can't pass up the charm of the Polynesian peoples. One is comfortable there. Wouldn't you agree?

View Profile of Davie Ono Send a personal message to Davie Ono  Email Davie Ono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davie Ono
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-18 8:16 pm   Permalink

Here is a matchbook that I have from the restaurant.

View Profile of Davie Ono Send a personal message to Davie Ono  Email Davie Ono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davie Ono
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-18 8:43 pm   Permalink

I have a photo of the neighboring restaurant -The Park Restaurant-owned by Nick Roubos
Notice the Phone number a 5 digit number. The full number would have begun with 29
which would have been short for CY for Cypress 2-7992 or 292-7992
card00515_fr Nick Roubos

Davie Ono
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-18 8:53 pm   Permalink

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-18 9:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-09-18 19:36, Davie Ono wrote:
I would like to see the Volcano idea again. One can't pass up the charm of the Polynesian peoples. One is comfortable there. Wouldn't you agree?

Thanks for writing down your story, Davie, and we certainly do agree.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-19 11:35 am   Permalink

A little disappointing to hear that the building that is still there wasn't part of the Volcano. But if I understand you correctly, it was built in the former parking lot after the Volcano closed, but (I'm assuming) before the Volcano buildings were torn down? Any idea what it was built for? It's interesting that they would build a new building with nearly (as far as I can tell) the same profile as the two former Volcano buildings. Maybe all three buildings were planned for some kind of complex?

Davie, have you seen
this thread on the Kahiki Motel & Tiki Lounge in Winter Haven? It brings up some interesting twists to the Volcano story.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation