FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-11 08:46 am   Permalink

Thanks, Chef Mike! That looks about right. Where did you find the address?

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-11 09:08 am   Permalink

Hi VG- Ifound it in an unusual place...
http://www.loansenseplus.com/industries/eating_places2.asp?spg=103
scroll down to the V's.

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-11 09:31 am   Permalink

Wow, I am just amazed at the wealth of info you can find on the Internet!

Chef Mike- Can you tell me on that link was the loan date the day someone took out a loan under the Volcano name? That is about to the exact day when we moved from WH to Gainesville. Would someone have possibly bought my Dad's portion of the business out, or what is the significance of that loan date? Any ideas?

**Correction: Ooops, my bad! That was a different year than when we moved. We moved late Aug. of 1970. Still I would love to know what the loan date is referring to, when the loan was taken out, or something else?

[ This Message was edited by: Volcano Girl 2007-02-11 11:01 ]

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 2:27 pm   Permalink

And speaking of wealth of info from the Internet... how about this? I believe we have located our suspect:

Here is an establishing shot to get you oriented. You're looking north. 6th Street is on your right. Lake Howard and Lake Howard Drive on the left. The Budget Inn is in the lower right corner and, incidentally, was built in 1959. See that A-frame building to the NW of the hotel?

Here's a close-up. Same angle.

Now let's look at it from the east. From that direction, it sure looks like our Volcano!
Then... and now:

The above photo is from the opposite side of the building as the postcard, but it shows us the same roof profile.

Now from the north. This is the front of the building. That fenced in area to the left of the building is where the fire-spewing volcano and pond would have been.

The next thing to do would be to actually drive over there, take some pictures and talk to the current owners of the building and see if they can tell us anything. Kono, if you're planning to head down there soon, let me know. Otherwise, I'll plan a drive over in the next couple of weeks.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 2:51 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure about this next bit of info, so take it with a grain of salt. The Polk County property appraiser's web site does not list 445 6th St NW as a valid address. But looking at those arial photos, it looks like access to the building is now from Lake Howard Dr. A parcel search shows a Beymer Memorial United Methodist Church at 700 N Lake Howard Dr. and it was sold to them on Jan 1, 1972! (It shows the original structure was built in 1937.) And it's not a stretch to think of a church in an A-frame building. So maybe that loan that turned up in an earlier post was a loan by the church for renovations and buildout.

I may be connecting some dots that shouldn't be connected, but we'll see.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 3:03 pm   Permalink

The plot thickens... I found that the church is actually just about a block north from our Volcano site. It's close enough though that it's still possible the church purchased it as an extension of its campus in 1972. Should be easy to find that out. By the way, the church has been at its present location since 1951.

Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 3:45 pm   Permalink

Awesome work Tiki Detectives!!

Cheers,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 3:56 pm   Permalink

Dang, the missionairies took over the native village..again! No more Pele fireworship on THOSE grounds!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-11 3:58 pm   Permalink

Gator Rob, you are doing a really awesome job, this is really cool for me! We are getting REALLY CLOSE, but is there a way you can show me close-ups of the bldgs to the north of the Budget Inn? That A-frame that you've pictured is NOT in the right location. The Volcano as seen from the postcard, I am 99% positive that that view is taken from 6th St. looking west. You could see the erupting volcano as you drove on 6th. It was directly abutting the road. IIRC the ridge of the restaurant roofline was perpendicular to 6th, not parallel like the A-frame you've zoomed in on. Check out the white bldg just N of the Budget Inn. That could be it if it was modified a lot. But for me, if I'm looking at this right, I think the roof with the hips (that's what my husband calls that kind), just N of the white bldg is the most likely prospect from my memory. It is almost obscured from above because of the foliage around it. Any chance you could get zoom-ins on either of those? TY much if you can!

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-11 6:10 pm   Permalink

Wow, I sure thought I had our building. Well, here are the buildings to the north of the hotel. This view is looking west. The A-frame building we've been eyeing is at the top center. 6th St is at the bottom. Those other buildings look too new to me. Maybe it's possible either the road was moved over time or (sounds crazy but...) the building was moved? It happens.

By the way, you can explore these images for yourself
HERE.

ChefMike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-11 6:36 pm   Permalink

It looks to me as if the road COULD have been moved. It happens alot around here.

View Profile of ChefMike Send a personal message to ChefMike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-11 7:57 pm   Permalink

I agree that the other buildings look too new, but the locations are about right. Any chance that those are refurbished structures? The one with the brown roof just feels like it's in about the right place. It looks like it's set off of 17 (6th St) about the right amount, but heck, I was just a kid. Also, I think 6th St. was only two lanes back then, maybe three, so some of where the street is now would've been sidewalk. I've looked at it from every angle, and I'm thinking that it was either the now white building or the one N of it. I'm still waiting to hear from some family members about their recollections. Maybe one of them knows definitively if the building was actually torn down or moved.

Anyway, y'all are great for helping with this! You have no idea how much I appreciate it!

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-11 9:46 pm   Permalink

Print that picture of the buildings.
Then mail it to your mom she will know.
Plus it will jog her memory.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-12 05:47 am   Permalink

Well, if that A-frame building I located isn't the Volcano, I'm amazed at how closely it resembles the postcard. From those shots, the roof looks practically identical to me. What are the chances two different buildings in the same block would have the same roof profile? Anyway, the search continues...

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-12 08:41 am   Permalink

The little buliding to the left of the swimming pool
dose have an a frame roof.
You need to look at the map to see it.
Plus the other building is huge.
Looks bigger than the postcard one.

They may have added the newer hotel
wings later.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation