FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-26 5:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-26 16:16, GatorRob wrote:
I love how the matchbook describes the restaurant as a "Million Dollar Showplace".

It truly was one!! How I wish you all could have seen it! Just as soon as I can get my hands on anything...I'll post it!

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 10:03 am   Permalink

OMG!!! I just got a package from my mom!! It has all sorts of pics in it, news articles, the dinner menu, the drink menu, even layouts!! I haven't gone thru it all, but I'm soooo excited that I had to come and tell you all right away!! I'm shaking so much!! Remember to keep an eye out for new posts. There's a lot of stuff for me to show you!

I hope to get some digipics put one here VERY soon! I have never posted pictures on a website before, so anyone who can give me advice on what to do, please respond here or by PM. It will get to me the fastest that way.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-01 10:27 am   Permalink

We are going to meet some people at the Tropical Bistro
on the 6th of march. 7:30 pm.
If you would like to bring some of the stuff there
I could take some photos and post them for you.
Plus it would be nice to meet you.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 10:30 am   Permalink

Great, but I thought it was the 12th? Is my mind just playing with me cuz I have all these old memories coming alive?

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 12:03 pm   Permalink

OK, I'm going to try to post a few pics that I just took of the menu cover and its contents.

The menu cover:

Quick story Mom told me in her note. Apparently there was a scandalous rumor that was spread around town that The Volcano included a topless bar (because of the girl on the cover)! It's funny to me now, because if you had known my Dad, you'd have known that it was a complete fabrication!

Page 1:

Page 2:

Page 3:

Page 4:

Page 5:

Page 6:

Page 7:

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 12:49 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more. I think some of the other ones that Mom sent I will need to take somewhere to be scanned or possibly lightened as they are very dark, and didn't come out well when I tried to take a digital of them.

The Bar/Appetizer menu cover:

Page 1:

Page2:

The sign out in front of the restaurant, taken from 6th St and facing north.

A narrow view of some of the seating that closest to the windows on the NW side of the restaurant bdlg. That's water falling through the windows, folks! Anyone who has been to the former Kahiki in Columbus will have an idea of the way it sounded and felt. Mmmm....mai tai, anyone?

Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 1:07 pm   Permalink

Those are fantastic! Thanks for posting them.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 1:19 pm   Permalink

That's funny. I just realized there's no mai-tai actually on the menu, but there's a recipe for it on one of the other pages that Mom sent. The copy is very poor and I can only make out some of it, but I will try to get these pages redone somehow.

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 1:24 pm   Permalink

Wow. THIS is what I've been waiting for! Thanks Volcano Girl, I look forward to seeing the rest!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 13:07, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
Those are fantastic! Thanks for posting them.

..sbim

There will be more to come! I just need to get some professional advice I think. The photos and news clippings are roughly 40 years old, and while they are intact, some of them are of poor quality. There are several informal shots that were taken on some sort of camera from back then, not necessarily a Polaroid, but not 35 mm either. I forget what kind was commonly used back then.

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 1:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 13:24, Kono wrote:
Wow. THIS is what I've been waiting for! Thanks Volcano Girl, I look forward to seeing the rest!

You will not believe what Mom sent! I daresay it's the motherlode! Ok, maybe not the motherlode, but really a good bit. If I can get some of these others done quickly, you will really enjoy them! There's even a shot of Chinese Joe in the kitchen cooking! Dear sweet man! He looks as old as I remember him to be!

Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 1:57 pm   Permalink

That last pic, can you make out what that is sitting in front of the spoons? There are four of them on each table. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm intrigued by that logo on the big sign. Its got the underbite fangs like the Zombie Village logo guy.

Looking at that menu, I'd be eating there on a regular basis if the place where still around! Frog legs, fried oysters and stone crab claws: it doen't get any better than that. Yum!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 13:57, Kono wrote:
That last pic, can you make out what that is sitting in front of the spoons? There are four of them on each table. Am I missing something obvious?

I'm intrigued by that logo on the big sign. Its got the underbite fangs like the Zombie Village logo guy.

Looking at that menu, I'd be eating there on a regular basis if the place where still around! Frog legs, fried oysters and stone crab claws: it doen't get any better than that. Yum!

Those are water glasses turned upside down, just waiting for customers to be seated, so they could be turned over and filled! There's a red glass votive candle holder (with webbing on the outside) in the center of each table, along with a coconut filled with sugar packets, maybe even sweet n lo back then. The little decanter (near the candle and the coconut) probably has soy sauce (just guessing, I'm not sure). How lovely (not!) are those obligatory plastic black ashtrays that are set two to a table. Too bad they couldn't have been more unique. Oh well...I guess Dad had to cut corners somewhere!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 3:07 pm   Permalink

Wow! This soooo thrilling! For so many years, the Volcano post card was sitting in my folders and each time I came upon it, I said to myself "Wonder if we ever find out ANYTHING about that place..."

...and now this! That SIGN has got to go in one of my next books! And that cocktail menu cover...
Thank You, oh daughter of the Volcano! This thread truly is on FIRE!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 3:36 pm   Permalink

Here's more! I decided to try to get as good a snapshot of these photos as I could. They are from 8 X 10 B/W glossies. I'm sorry that the quality is not that great (yet!), and there are lots of shadows and reflections that get in the way of seeing what's really there. Hopefully, some good professional will help me get these in better form.

This first one is taken in the Lava Club. I remember that stage. It was on the farthest end of the room in the nightclub building. I'm pretty sure that these were some of our regular performers. I remember the girl closest to the camera. She may have been one of the ones who gave me hula lessons.

Here is another group that performed often, I think in the Tiki Lounge that was attached to the restaurant. (I think that's the part my mom has called the lanai, but I thought the lanai was something different).

This group was called "The Regal Tahitians" and they were probably a troupe that was not local but made special appearances. Look at the different tikis they had!

Keep checking back for more of the shots that I'm still uploading!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation