FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The Volcano
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
The Volcano
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 15:07, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow! This soooo thrilling! For so many years, the Volcano post card was sitting in my folders and each time I came upon it, I said to myself "Wonder if we ever find out ANYTHING about that place..."

...and now this! That SIGN has got to go in one of my next books! And that cocktail menu cover...
Thank You, oh daughter of the Volcano! This thread truly is on FIRE!

It's funny, the past few days I was lamenting that maybe my Mom had better things to do with her time than to go through the attic looking for this stuff. You just wait! This is just the beginning! If I can get some of these more informal shots to come out, you'll like them just as much. I only wish the camera quality for those were better. Any idea how to get the most out of them?

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 4:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If I can get some of these more informal shots to come out, you'll like them just as much. I only wish the camera quality for those were better. Any idea how to get the most out of them?

To shoot material with your camera is the quickest, but works with objects and large reproductions best, and not so well with smaller photos. As regular visiting TCers might have noticed lately, I got myself a scanner for X-mas, and had a ball posting stuff from my archives ever since.
Scanners are almost as cheap as DVD players nowadays, and for 170.- bucks I got one that can scan slides and Negatives really well, too. Plus, I never read the manual: Just plugged it in and tried out different buttons, and, (for example) figured out how to crop the different Volcano postcard parts, and then enlarge them by scanning them in higher resolution than the whole, and Voila: We had the zoom in effect.

You can enhance old photos by scanning them, then dragging them into your photo program, and there, try to enhance the focus, saturation, color and contrast, it makes quite a difference. Just go by trial and error, you can't mess up the original.

A scanner will do your material the greatest justice, but if you have no other need for it after, it might be a little luxurious.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-03-01 16:50 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 4:22 pm   Permalink

All of these photos and menus, this whole thread makes me smile ear to ear. It's like opening a vault and discovering the treasure! Thanks to you and your Mom, for all your efforts. I can wait to see whats next! I can't believe how many times I keep saying Wow!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 5:14 pm   Permalink

Same caveat as before. This first one needs to be lightened up. It's a view looking toward 6th St., probably from the walkway that led to the Lava Club (which you can see just a bit of the overhang on the left side of the pic. There was a covered bamboo walkway that intersected with this one towards the right that led to the restaurant (building on the right side). There was a bridge to cross over the lagoon which you see in the pic, and the lagoon went to the other (western) side of the restaurant property. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a view of the actual entrance to the restaurant building in any of these shots that have been sent.

This must be one of the private rooms that was available. I don't think I was in it very often. I barely remember it.

This is taken from 6th St. looking south. The Lava Club is on the right in the foreground and the restaurant is behind the volcano in the background. In between the volcano and the nightclub is one of the many geysers shooting off. I don't have any idea of how frequently they shot up like that, but it was periodically. If you look closely at the base of the volcano there is a rectangular shape. This was an access panel of sorts to the inner mechanics of the volcano. IIRC you could (ok, we little kids could) actually get into the inside of the volcano through that little door. I think I've only been in it a time or two. My brother who is just a little older than I probably was in it more times. I was a scaredy cat. I was always afraid that the volcano would erupt at any minute!

This is a view from 6th St. looking north and west. The restaurant is on the left in the foreground, with the volcano and the nightclub in the background. There is a water fountain shooting. That may have been constantly running, unlike the geysers which would spout off every so often.

This is my Dad and two women. (I have no idea who they are.) I also have no idea where this would have been taken. It doesn't look like it was near the Bora Bora statue, which was a favorite place for snapshots to be taken. I wish I knew more about this shot.

View Profile of Volcano Girl Send a personal message to Volcano Girl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 6:52 pm   Permalink

Great photos. I know the quality of these old 8x10 B&W glossies must be excellent, real crisp.

Reagrding the performance troupe photos on the previous page, I just noticed that the photo in the middle (at the Tiki Lounge?) shows two Witco masks on the wall. Masks of this style also hung at the Chicago Playboy pool (see BOT p.43 + 253), and nowadays, Ken Pleasant does an expert job of reproducing them.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 7:05 pm   Permalink

This is a shot of setting up for a luau that was being hosted at Cypress Gardens for the Press Association, but catered and entertained by the Volcano. You can see the tiki mugs on the tables, and the china is the kind that was used at the restaurant.

This is a closer up view of guests at the event. A bit better view of the mugs, too. Notice the interesting tiki drink thing that the woman in the front is drinking from with the straw. It looks like there are four figures attached around a bowl. Did anyone see the volcanoes of ice with the different bits of fruit stuck in with toothpicks?

I'll be posting more soon. My son needs to use the computer for homework, and I've been hogging it all day! I'll be back as soon as it's feasible!

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 7:59 pm   Permalink

Those are Tiki Leilani mugs, still relatively easy to find in the field today....but, but,...right in the foreground there....on the left..that's...that's an original Mai Kai bowl!
How ironic (perhaps only to the mug collecting community ): The rarest and one of the most common Tiki ceramics, right next to each other!

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 9:30 pm   Permalink

Wow!!! That's amazing bigbro!!

OK, so here's more of the luau. These were some of the regular dancers that performed the nightly shows.

Here's one of the flame twirling guys!

Here are a couple of the waitresses who would serve your drinks! Now who wouldn't want to be served by these lovely ladies? The place wasn't topless, but the guests sure had a chance to kick back, relax, and enjoy a great meal! Sometimes I can't believe this place was in Winter Haven, and that I was lucky enough to experience it so closely!

This is an ad that Mom saved. I don't know when the Golden Spoon award was given, but apparently it was not long after Dad opened for business.

Here is a pic from a news article. Looks to me like it was taken off the walkway that led to the nightclub.

Here's an ad that was placed next to the same article as the pic above. The huge billboard ads that I mentioned earlier in the thread would have been similar to this only stretched out (like billboards are) and maybe only a few of the bullet points listed here. The colors were about the same as those used in the dinner menu.

I'll try to get a clear copy of the article tomorrow. It's pretty interesting. There's some good information that I hadn't known before, and that Mom has probably long-forgotten. So gang, this is all for tonight, but I promise you...THERE IS MORE! I'll try to post a little every day until I can get it all done, although it may take me a while to get some of the lesser quality pics to show anything that you can see clearly. I'm really wishing that you all could have seen this fabulous place in person!

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-01 10:29 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga 2007-03-01 22:47 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 21:30, Volcano Girl wrote:
I'm really wishing that you all could have seen this fabulous place in person!

You have no idea...

So glad to see that you're in possession of all these wonderful artifacts. I can only imagine how thrilled you were to open that package. With so much time passed since its closing and practically nothing about this place turning up in all these years, your finding Tiki Central and then coming up with all this is a rare pleasure for all of us. Mahalo Volcano Girl!!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 09:31 am   Permalink

You know, with the Mai-Kai only a couple of hours away from the Volcano, your menus and pictures would make a wonderful exhibit at a future Hukilau. Tiki Kiliki, are you listening?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 10:06 am   Permalink

This is my first attempt at using the scanner. I am a complete novice at scanning. I was able to do a simple black and white version of one of the newspaper ads.

This is a version that I cropped and brightened up from the original that is very weathered.

Which way would you rather me show or is it about the same for newspaper clippings?

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 11:55 am   Permalink

This is from an Orlando area newspaper. I hope that this image is good enough to read the article. If not, I'm working on cleaning one up with the photo software I have, which has been time consuming so far, and hasn't improved the quality a lot yet.

continued portion:

Volcano Girl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 12:11 pm   Permalink

I would love for someone to give me some feedback on these news clippings. Are they easy enough to read or should I try to keep working on them? I have another article or two that I can probably post, depending on the size. I may have to break them up into sections. Anyway, any input from the viewers of this thread would be most welcome.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 1:28 pm   Permalink

With the help of a magnifier, I could read them well, so one is into it enough, they can. Regarding more articles, it depends if they have anything unique to offer, or just restaurant reviews, which might get repetitious.

From my viewpoint, it's all about eye candy. The visuals are what really draws people in and transports Tiki culture, so items like the menu covers, and the 8x11s are the most impressive. Part of that is also the architecture, like blueprints or even renderings of a Tiki temple. And interiors with Tiki decor like statues and lamps.....

When they have seen all that, then people get curious about the background, and will want to read more about it.
We are kind of at this point here, so yes, any info is welcome, just not too much of the same.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation