[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Rain Lamp
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Rain Lamp
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 12:05 am   Permalink

I just won a pretty cool rain lamp on Ebay and it arrived a couple of days ago. So I go to the grocery store looking for mineral oil and all I could find was vegetable oil. Now, I know why you don't want a whole bunch of vegetable oil out open in your house. It turns out that the smell from that stuff gets pretty bad in a warm house for a couple of days.

So here are my questions to you; Where the hell do you get mineral oil? Why is that the magical sauce to put in the lamp? Do you need to change the stuff periodically? Will mineral oil smell up my house like the vegatable oil?

Thanks for the responses. The lamp looks so cool lit up and running that I want to get it back in working/ smelling good order again.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 12:10 am   Permalink

Baby Oil is essentially scented mineral oil. You can usually find mineral oil in the drug store near either baby oils or rubbing alcohol.

Happy hunting!

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 04:53 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 15:13 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 06:45 am   Permalink

wal mart sells unscented mineral oil - look for it in medicinal supplies.

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 06:46 am   Permalink

p.s.
you don't want to use ANYTHING but plain mineral oil - trust me i messed up a really cool vintage oil lamp through experimentation

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 08:36 am   Permalink

I think that pretty much covers it. Thanks everybody.

How'd you mess up that lamp Futura? I took apart my lamp last night and totally cleaned the whole thing with dishwashing liquid and water. I'm hoping that none of that leads to any kind of rusting.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 10:55 am   Permalink

I have a rain lamp of a nekkid chick (WHOO HOO) i love it, but my problem is the motor is burned out. Is ther ea way i can fix it so it will rain again?

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-08-27 5:55 pm   Permalink

My rain lamp is filled with a half gallon of fresh mineral oil after a thorough cleaning, and it still stinks. I was going to add some scented oil to the mix but haven't yet. Anyone try that?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-27 6:00 pm   Permalink

i tried various thin viscosity vegetable oils but they still clogged up the pores above the rain wires - even though i was able to clean them out the old oil had mucked up the pump so badly - it eventually stopped working.

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-27 8:55 pm   Permalink

i'm pretty sure you can get mineral oil at the drug store ~ but if not, veterinary supply houses stock the stuff by the gallon! (although they dont use it for rain lamps, instead, you should read the product use details here..)
Valley Vet

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-05 11:55 pm   Permalink

DogBytes:

You got your link wrong.
Vetrenary uses of mineral oil for dummies.

And I think "naked chick" is unfairly slighting to the Venus de Milo. Harumph!

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ttfn

Posted: 2005-04-02 08:15 am   Permalink

How much mineral oil do I use in a rain lamp? I have one that is about 30 inches high. Though the pump runs, no rain falls. I put in about 1 pint of mineral oil. Suggestions?

View Profile of ttfn Send a personal message to ttfn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-04 09:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-02 08:15, ttfn wrote:
How much mineral oil do I use in a rain lamp? I have one that is about 30 inches high. Though the pump runs, no rain falls. I put in about 1 pint of mineral oil. Suggestions?

I have a large rain lamp and it didn't start working until I put in 1 1/2 pints of mineral oil.

I just started a web page of miscellaneous info about rain lamps, since I just got one myself from eBay, and such information is hard to find. Here's the link:

http://www.simnia.com/rain_lamps/

There are several things I haven't found out yet myself, like: (1) Why is glycerine often said to work in rain lamps when I can find no documentation to support that, and how is glycerine different than mineral oil? (2) Are there schematic diagrams anywhere of rain lamps, of how they're constructed, and how they work? (3) Are replacement parts available, and if so, where are they obtained? (4) How does one unclog the channels when individual fibers stop dripping? (5) What is the history of rain lamps, who invented them, are they patented, etc.?

Anyway, thanks for the info, everybody. I just came across this forum today and learned a lot already.

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-12-05 08:16 am   Permalink

Here's who invented it:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=11431&forum=6

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-05 6:38 pm   Permalink

Awesome. I'll have to add that info to my site! He's already my hero.

View Profile of mbonga Send a personal message to mbonga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation