FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Lounge, Pittsburgh, PA (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Tiki Lounge, Pittsburgh, PA (bar)
Matango Derek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-09-27 10:18 am   Permalink

Aloha Tiki Mocamele! I'm glad you got to see the Tiki Lounge...especially during the G20! The whole city was in such shutdown/lock down during the summit that many Pittsburghers feared that visitors would not get to see what we are like here. We are fortunate to have such a cool place like the TL here. Did you get to see anything else?

View Profile of Matango Derek Send a personal message to Matango Derek      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Mocamele

Posted: 2009-10-01 1:15 pm   Permalink

Yes, a Pirates game and an Irish Pub that was more of a disappointment than any tiki bar I have ever been in! Beautiful city with all the bridges, day and night.

View Profile of Tiki Mocamele Send a personal message to Tiki Mocamele      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
yirmumah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-10 11:18 am   Permalink

Regretfully it was my first time in Tiki Lounge yesterday. Mostly because I live 40 minutes south and every time we found ourselves on the Southside it was later in the evening and the place was filled with the beer/shot Yinzer crowd. (which I don't mind by the way, Yinzers are fun) but that's not the "tiki bar" atmosphere we were envisioning, so it always looked to cramped and crowded and we'd just keep walking...

After most of the reviews on here and tips from Pauly and others we decided to head in around 4pm yesterday to really check it out. Here's my review and thoughts in chunks:

THE DECOR: This place is a gem. You can tell the owners really put a lot of love and hard work inside. Even though it's relatively small place, there are plenty of cool nooks and crannies for hanging out.

THE DRINKS: The bartender (long light brownish hair) took his time making our drinks and they were strong and worth the price. Only 6 bucks if you don't buy the mugs with your drinks. 12-15 you can keep the mug, even though they're "stock" mugs, we were missing the one "see no evil" monkey mug, so that was a nice find.

THE SCENE: There is pretty much ZERO tiki scene in Pittsburgh. The bartender told me that tiki fans do come in every once in awhile but it's few and very far between. This made me sad because this place is a tiki gem. Right now it's pretty much just being treated as a regular southside bar that happens to be decorated with tiki, when there is potential for so much more.

DOWNHILL??? They've been out of their signature logo mug forever, and I guess the t-shirts they have hanging up are also out of stock, and I got the feeling as if the "tiki" end of things was just going slowly away.

PITTSBURGH TIKI FANS... we need to show this place some love and "take it back" before it's gone forever. I don't think it's in any danger of closing, but it sure could use some rallying to keep the "tiki" aspect alive. If we don't do it, nobody will. So if you're on here and local, email me at
djcoffman@gmail.com or send a message here- Pittsburgh Pauly and I are planning a special "Tiki Tuesday" the first tuesday of the month ... details found in another post soon.

View Profile of yirmumah Send a personal message to yirmumah  Email yirmumah Goto the website of yirmumah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pittsburgh pauly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 3:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks to the miracle makers (privacy haters?) at Google, you can now see inside of the Tiki Lounge.
http://www.google.com/maps?layer=c&z=17&sll=40.428661999999996,-79.977385&cid=-1687916297495531177&panoid=f4ACgBG-dK0UbIUcnqhX7Q&cbp=13,347.11191335740074,,0,0&q=tiki&sa=X&ei=73xjUKf3EqS-0AGevoHoBQ&ved=0CI8BENoUKAAwAQ

AND this is just the main floor. You can kinda see the raised level in back with the booths but missing are: the basement and a little half floor between basement and the main floor.

Oh, and it's never that bright!

I can't seem to get the link to work, darn comma. BUt it works if you cpoy/paste.

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2012-09-26 15:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2012-09-26 15:17 ]

View Profile of Pittsburgh pauly Send a personal message to Pittsburgh pauly  Goto the website of Pittsburgh pauly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tabuzak
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 3:19 pm   Permalink

Nice!!!

View Profile of tabuzak Send a personal message to tabuzak  Email tabuzak Goto the website of tabuzak     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-26 3:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-26 15:15, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
Thanks to the miracle makers (privacy haters?) at Google, you can now see inside of the Tiki Lounge.
http://www.google.com/maps?layer=c&z=17&sll=40.428661999999996,-79.977385&cid=-1687916297495531177&panoid=f4ACgBG-dK0UbIUcnqhX7Q&cbp=13,347.11191335740074,,0,0&q=tiki&sa=X&ei=73xjUKf3EqS-0AGevoHoBQ&ved=0CI8BENoUKAAwAQ

AND this is just the main floor. You can kinda see the raised level in back with the booths but missing are: the basement and a little half floor between basement and the main floor.

Oh, and it's never that bright!

I can't seem to get the link to work, darn comma. BUt it works if you cpoy/paste.

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2012-09-26 15:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Pittsburgh pauly 2012-09-26 15:17 ]

Wow thats cool, you can go right to the back. neat o

[ This Message was edited by: Dagg 2012-09-26 15:32 ]

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation