[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki United Airlines Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
United Airlines Tikis
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 06:04 am   Permalink

I picked up the tall 5' tiki with headress about 9 yrs ago for about$134....been with me since and now stands guard in the bamboo bunker bar.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 11:26 am   Permalink

GOOD find, Tim! Complete, and for that price! The benefits of living in a small town...

That's the one that was stolen from my front yard, sniff. It was frustrating also because I had first taken a picture of it at Dale Sizer's pad with my 2 year old son next to it, which gave me the idea of using it as a "growth chart" from then on. I took two more shots of Diego getting taller next to it over the next year, then the thieves spoiled that fun.

Doesn't it say United Airlines at the base in the back somewhere? Later in the 70s, UA made only low budge cardboard cutouts, this one is definitely the deluxe display, the only ceramic one of the bunch.

BUT there also is a great PANAM cardboard cutout Tiki that looks like early 60s, with a cartoony woman and a guy alternately popping out behind it. Very cool, saw it only once in my life in New York in the window of a closed down travel agency. Could only take a snapshot of it, not sufficient for reproduction in the BOT. One of my top ten items I know must exist somewhere but never surfaces...

Anybody here ever seen one of those PANAM displays?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-03 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-03 11:26, bigbrotiki wrote:
Doesn't it say United Airlines at the base in the back somewhere? Later in the 70s, UA made only low budge cardboard cutouts, this one is definitely the deluxe display, the only ceramic one of the bunch.

Yes, it has "Property of United Airlines" discretely on the lower back side.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-07 5:23 pm   Permalink

With a few trips to Home Depot, the tiki fountain pours again!

Windows video of the fountian Sorry it's out of focus, but I seem to have maybe permanently lost my video camera and had to make do with the webcam.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 01:07 am   Permalink

I received a tiki cocktail stir recently on my flight from Kauai -
obviously not in the same category as those above, but I was happily surprised.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aloha.taboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 08:29 am   Permalink

Wow! I didn't know the Menehune were worth that much. I just saw this on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/United-Airlines-Menehune-Hawaii-Hawaiian-Tiki-Hula_W0QQitemZ6594515670QQcategoryZ1312QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A couple years ago, a friend of mine that works in travel at a local AAA gave me their Menehunes with their corporate office deemed it necessary to get rid of "tacky" decor in the office. They've been greeting me ever since:

[ This Message was edited by: aloha.taboo 2007-02-16 08:04 ]

View Profile of aloha.taboo Send a personal message to aloha.taboo  Email aloha.taboo Goto the website of aloha.taboo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-08 09:19 am   Permalink

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 11:35 am   Permalink

Oh, love that fountain. Gotta find one for the tiki bar on the lanai. Is it made of resin, ceramic or what? My only fear is that if he tips, he will shatter all over the place. I had one of those Design Toscano resin tikis (the Disney Tiki Room-esque one) and when it fell over and hit the tile floor, it smashed into about 15 pieces. Ouch!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-10 6:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-01-10 11:35, GatorRob wrote:
Oh, love that fountain. Gotta find one for the tiki bar on the lanai. Is it made of resin, ceramic or what? My only fear is that if he tips, he will shatter all over the place. I had one of those Design Toscano resin tikis (the Disney Tiki Room-esque one) and when it fell over and hit the tile floor, it smashed into about 15 pieces. Ouch!

Mine merely broke in half.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 05:57 am   Permalink

Well, one thing's for sure. I won't be buying another one unless it's located in a carpeted room.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation