FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Hukilau & Hurricanes...
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-06 2:48 pm   Permalink

Any word on the Hukilau's Tiki boat ? The news showed several boats getting trashed off the Ft, Lauderdale coast.

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-06 4:49 pm   Permalink

Benzart called and said he's fine, lost some fencing and screens, that's it. He wants everyone to know he's around to carve another day.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 5:20 pm   Permalink

I heard that the Mai-kai lost "alot of the thatching on the roof". Doubt they'd be able to replace it in two weeks before the Hukilau. How about a Spanish tile one for temporary?!?
anyone want to do a photoshop rendering??
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 6:11 pm   Permalink

No reports of any damage from Kern to the buildings, just some minor stuff in the gardens.

Everyone has reported that it ended up being about like a thunderstorm in Fort Lauderdale. Nothing to worry about Hukilau wise, although I have yet to hear from Tikki Beach.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 7:05 pm   Permalink

Yes, the thatch is fine; there was one area that got "lifted" by the winds on the drive-thru entryway, but you had to really look for it to even notice - and I'm pretty sure it'll be tied back down well before Hukilau.

Unfortunately, hurricanes are just part of the deal here in Florida, just like quakes out in California, tornadoes in the Mid-West, and the dreaded Nor'easters for those of us who have had the distinct pleasure of living on the New England coast ... the upside is that we're pretty resilient, and within a few weeks, things are generally back in order. Even after Andrew wiped us out, we managed to get things mostly back in shape within a month of the storm (with the notable exception of the Miami Metrozoo that was turning away cleanup volunteers two days after the storm because they could "do it themselves" - and they still haven't totally cleaned up the mess).

This one was mild by comparison, and we will be well back in shape by the end of this week.

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

[ This Message was edited by: cybertiki on 2004-09-07 19:07 ]

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 7:12 pm   Permalink

Glad to hear the thatch is fine--I am going to miss those Spanish tiles, though!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Nani Tiki

Posted: 2004-09-07 7:59 pm   Permalink

We made it thru Frances!! I wouldn't quite compare it to a thunderstorm. At least with those the winds disappear quickly. We're on the west coast near Tampa and were whipped by sustained winds of 40mph and gusts of 50-60 for over 12 hours. Glad we had the shutters up over all the windows. No where near the rain they predicted-only about 5 inches. Only a few of our oak limbs came down so we were very lucky. Still have the shutters up waiting for Ivan..... Thanks for your good thoughts Kono. Hope you and Bali Girl made it thru OK as well.

View Profile of Nani Tiki Send a personal message to Nani Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 9:37 pm   Permalink

Hi Nani; glad to hear you made it thru! I wasn't comparing Frances to a thunderstorm - when I made that post, it had already cleared up to the point that it was like a thunderstorm.

I agree with you wholeheartedly - Frances was sort of like being stuck in a blender on low speed for about 12 hours. Not a lot of strength, but the duration was certainly enough to cause some problems. I'm still trying to get shingles to patch up my roof before Ivan shows up!

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shakatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-07 10:04 pm   Permalink

Mahalos for all the updates. Us out here on the left coast are thinking (and drinking) good thoughts for your safety and minimal property damage. We hope that Ivan loses interest (and/or power) and heads East instead. Godspeed!!

OKOLE MALUNA!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD, BUY BAMBOO!!

View Profile of shakatiki Send a personal message to shakatiki  Email shakatiki Goto the website of shakatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 7:32 pm   Permalink

HOLY COW! We drank some excellent Mai Tais to your safety, dryness and stay-put-ed-ness. We were watching the news, and the newscasters were about 10 lbs. shy of being blown off camera. It was amusing, but only because they were on FOX, and we were on the deck in El Cerrito drinking mai tais.

I'm glad you're all ok.

We have some crazy windy winter storms here, and the fires, and the earthquakes, your hurricanes and tornados scare the bejesus out of me. Give me the no-notice earth moving any time!

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-08 9:47 pm   Permalink

I think Hanford posted a link you might want to click on if you want to talk politics

[ This Message was edited by: floratina on 2004-09-08 22:07 ]

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-09 07:01 am   Permalink

word is, Tikki Beach is okay... hooray!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-09 08:12 am   Permalink

IVAN is coming this way!!!!!

At the latest cordinates Ivan could very well hit Ft. Lauderdale.

Lucky for us they are never right.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-09 5:59 pm   Permalink

Talked to Benzart last night and he wanted everyone to know that he is well, wishes his power would come back on, but his phone is working for the time being. He said he only lost fencing on his property and no shingles. In typical Ben fashion he wanted to know how Flounder was doing and all of the rest of the Florida Ohana. He is dying to get the power on so he can get back to TC, a true TC junkie at his best.

Toa

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-09 11:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-09 08:12, FLOUNDERart wrote:
IVAN is coming this way!!!!!

At the latest cordinates Ivan could very well hit Ft. Lauderdale.

Lucky for us they are never right.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation