FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 10:55 am   Permalink

I guess this would be my first official carving. Not that impressive unless you learn that I carved it with a box cutter knife and some sandpaper.

Here's the next one I did. I used some poor quality wood carving knives. They dulled very quickly.

Here they are together.

I didn't stain or finish either of these. I figured I would get a few under my belt first. Thought I might try the die grinder on the next one, but I can only afford a couple of bits for it. Any advice on which two or three to buy for my first ones?

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2005-11-20 07:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2005-11-23 04:34 ]

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy 2006-01-08 06:42 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 11:03 am   Permalink

Cool Job FD. I like the style of both of them alot. Especially the second one.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 11:07 am   Permalink

hey finkdaddy....they're cool...now
make em bigger...much bigger.....how
about a couple of 20 footers in your
backyard!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 11:13 am   Permalink

Thanks Machtiki, that means alot.

Congatiki, I have a couple of white pines that I would like to bring down next spring. So it's possible!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 12:17 pm   Permalink

Mr. Finkdaddy those are beautiful! Perfectly symmetrical and so well done.
But I gotta disagree with conagtiki, (sorry Mr. Conga) but if you carved those at twenty feet they would surely walk out of your yard and into somebody else's. Of course your wallet would feel a little fatter.
Really well done.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 12:22 pm   Permalink

Oh, on the bits for your die grinder, look for the Kutzall carbide wood burrs. They come in red, silver and blue. Coarse, medium and fine. The fine ones clog very quickly on pine. Best to stick with Coarse or Medium. They'll last forever, well o.k., not forever, but a really long time. Wear gloves. They bite!

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 12:25 pm   Permalink

looking good bro! Keep with it!

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 12:37 pm   Permalink

Nice work Finkdaddy! I like'em!

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 12:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-01 12:22, Mr. Dale wrote:
Oh, on the bits for your die grinder, look for the Kutzall carbide wood burrs. They come in red, silver and blue. Coarse, medium and fine. The fine ones clog very quickly on pine. Best to stick with Coarse or Medium. They'll last forever, well o.k., not forever, but a really long time. Wear gloves. They bite!

Thanks Mr. Dale, I will try those out. Then maybe I can start some of those big ones for Congatiki.

Tiki Toa, thanks much. How are yours comming? Don't be shy, the stuff I saw looked good so far. I will finish my profile thingy for you tonight, I hope. Maybe tommorow.

Quote:
Cool Job FD. I like the style of both of them alot. Especially the second one.

The first one was easy, despite only being carved with a razor. The second one however, demanded a blood sacrifice. My first tiki bite!

Octane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 1:07 pm   Permalink

I like them both,they look nice and smooth. I think it is good that you are starting small. starting small allows you to really focus on the detials and allows you to see how to do the cuts on a small sclae so when you move to a bigger chunk of wood you know what cuts to make.

looks good and keep them coming

View Profile of Octane Send a personal message to Octane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 1:19 pm   Permalink

Those are great, Finkdaddy. Before you go to buy tools, though, you might want to checkout the "Tools Carvers Use" post. Theres lots of carver techie type info in there and lots of great pictures of carver's tools to look at before you go shopping.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=10451&forum=7&36

Without the quarter next to them, you'd think those were full scale tikis. I like the design and the smoothness of them. They look cool!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-09-01 4:58 pm   Permalink

Looks good Finkdaddy,

If any of 'em need a good tiki bar home, let me know.

Bong

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 5:42 pm   Permalink

FinkDaddy, Excellent first 2 carvings, Again I cant believe these are your first. Like ,How many other firsts recently?. Us old carvers wil finally be able to take a break. Bring 'em on...
Thanks for sharing, I know it takes a lot of guts.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-01 11:03 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benzart, Foamy, and all the others who commented. You've made my day.

All the newbie carvers who are posting decent pics lately, owe it all to you and the other artists here. I've stared at your carvings for endless hours trying to decide how to go about it. I wouldn't have even tried it, if you all hadn't been so open and helpful. Thanks again.

Tiki_Bong, I am so flattered that you would even ask! But wouldn't you rather wait until I make something a bit more substantial? If you really want one of them though, feel free to PM me. It would be my pleasure to see my kids play with the other tikis!

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2004-09-01 23:58 ]

bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-09-02 8:01 pm   Permalink

Very cool finkdaddy......I like em both!

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation