FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 7:05 pm   Permalink

i KNEW i should have bought one of your earlier carvings.... now i'll never be able to afford one! beautiful work!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 7:25 pm   Permalink

Finkdaddy,

I'm very impressed by your recent tiki's. They are super cool and animated looking, just how I like them. Keep up the fine art, it seems like every one is getting better and better. Pretty soon they will start becoming alive at the rate your going. I'm jelous, I wish I could carve a detailed, mini tiki like that, but they don't make chainsaws that small.

Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-24 10:23 pm   Permalink

FD, I've studied your last pic for awhile, and I can really appreciate the way you've exagerated the extremities of the curves (nostrils, mouth) and points (bridge of the nose, teeth). That stretching of the features makes for a very cool design. It really looks like you planned/sketched it out, yet you carved it very pragmatically feature by feature. The turtle was a nice touch too, simple and clean. You are developing your own style for sure. At this rate, I can see that will be some unique and masterful tikis in your future.

Take your time, they're all coming out great.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 04:47 am   Permalink

It's been a long time since I was here. Damn, Finkdaddy! I remember your first two carvings, not so very long ago. They were real good, but you're in a different class altogether now. You've been hang'in out with some of these other carvers now haven't ya? Huh? That baby looks great! Get down an' get back up again!

[ This Message was edited by: foamy on 2005-05-25 04:50 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 06:03 am   Permalink

Thank you!! Sam, Conga, JT, Rodeo, Ben, Hewey, Raffer, Palama, SCTikiShack, Aaron, Foamy, I know I've said this before but honestly, I wouldn't do this if it weren't for you. You're too kind! Each and every one of the people I just mentioned are incredible artists that I strive to match. Thanks for sharing YOUR art with me because that's where the inspiration comes from. Mahalo!

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-05-25 11:10 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:09 am   Permalink

All he needs is a couple coats of clear. This guy was carved from a real-life piece of Benzart wood, so special thanks to him!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:26 am   Permalink

Finky, WOW, he looks SO Great. Your work is Really advancing to the point you are going to have to spend more time carving to make up the orders you will get for your pieces. Excellent.
How was the wood to carve overall? Did it make the carving any easier? Can't wait till the next one.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:26 am   Permalink

Great work Finkdaddy!!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:37 am   Permalink

Thanks Sperm Whale, thanks Ben. Over all I liked the wood a lot. It was soft, easy to carve, has a unique grain, and has a great feel in your hand. I also liked the way it took the stain. I know you complained that it didn't hold much detail, but it was way better than I'm used to. My only complaint was that the grain was so pronounced that sometimes it was hard for me to see what I was doing. I'm going to try the cherry wood next. I'm saving that little piece of zebra wood you sent me to make one for myself to wear to Exotica. I'm even going to try carving a tiny pair of moai earings for my wahine to wear there too.

Ben, I was staring at the pictures of the Lono you carved and I swear I saw it move. Unreal my friend, unreal.

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-05-25 08:39 ]

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:38 am   Permalink

Looks Great. I love the eyes. How did you like carving the Mahagony?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:46 am   Permalink

Fink,

I noticed the eyes first. Super cool how they are recessed. The turtle and the tapa decor are truly cool. Super clean work.

How big is this piece?

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OnaTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:54 am   Permalink

That is it...put me on the list..A real thing of beauty..

View Profile of OnaTiki Send a personal message to OnaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 08:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-25 08:46, Monkeyman wrote:
Fink,

I noticed the eyes first. Super cool how they are recessed. The turtle and the tapa decor are truly cool. Super clean work.

How big is this piece?

Thanks Monkeyman and Aloha station. He's a bit larger than I meant him to be, just under 5". I liked the mahagony very much, soft yet it has some weight. Mahalo.

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 09:18 am   Permalink

Fink, looking good braddah! When can I order a full sized tiki???

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-25 09:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-24 19:05, Palama Tiki wrote:
i KNEW i should have bought one of your earlier carvings.... now i'll never be able to afford one! beautiful work!

Don't worry Palama, they're still cheep and I will always trade for mugs! Thank you!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation