FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 3:01 pm   Permalink

You computer chops are definately improving. What program are you using?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-08 11:26 pm   Permalink

Cool Finky. Looks like someone has found a cure for the Monday Blues. Aint that what tiki is all about?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooPrincess
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-06-09 04:01 am   Permalink

Great job! Finkdaddy,
I am still working on my first, I already burned out a dremel.....I need to get some tools....Anyone know what tools I should get to start off with?My first piece is only about 18 inches long and 7 inches around. I don't know about using a box knife.......they seem dangerous

View Profile of BambooPrincess Send a personal message to BambooPrincess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 09:26 am   Permalink

Thanks everybody! There is a huge amount of learning I have to do on this stuff. Eventually it will look real (or surreal), but right now you're just seeing my test stuff. On this one I was trying to make a realistic forest. Oh well, maybe next time. I also wanted to import a figure from a different program. That's the girl you see there. She only looks good because she's so far away. I have a lot to learn.

Raffer, this pic I created in Bryce, but the girl was done in Poser. I have some other software too, so eventually I can do some pretty neat stuff. Even some animation, but that's a ways off.

Mahalo everyone!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-bot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

Wow, FD, this is a great start. In fact, you could easily make a great image from the elements you have there already. Work out your composition on paper a bit (tiki a little closer, move to right [centered is no good], then change your lighting to sunset [more moody], replace the snow-capped mtn with an erupting volcano. Add a couple tiki torches with flames to light the tiki and voila - 3D tiki masterpiece!

I'm actually doing my very first 3D tiki scene right now and it's hard even with 14 years 3D art experience. The 3D software on the market is really more suited to regular, mechanical, hard-surface models, and doing things like randomized plants and landscape is still difficult. If you don't want to make your own, Google for free 3D plant models and you'll find a few. Sometimes it's fun to just doodle with object placement without all the modeling and texturing to slow you down. Then you can perfect your lighting and composition and if you get something you really like, you can always go in and replace some weaker models with some nice ones.

Good luck!

View Profile of Tiki-bot Send a personal message to Tiki-bot  Email Tiki-bot     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 12:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks T-B, I was thinking the same thing. I'll try a volcano pic next!

A small progress pic of #5. Lots to go yet, but I'm gonna start the head dress next.

Mahalo!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 12:28 pm   Permalink

NICE!
Reminds me of my dog when someone's at the door

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 8:38 pm   Permalink

He is Looking SOO Goood and crisp. Nice

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 8:56 pm   Permalink

Finkdaddy-
Your work is great!!! I really like the Teeth in every Tiki you have done so far. Keep up the good work!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 9:18 pm   Permalink

This one looks decidedly uncivilized. He definitely belongs on a chain!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kirby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-09 11:37 pm   Permalink

lookin good fink cant wait to see it done..

View Profile of kirby Send a personal message to kirby  Email kirby Goto the website of kirby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-11 04:58 am   Permalink

cool man

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-06-11 10:09 am   Permalink

YOu're quite the artist on many levels, my friend.

THat carving is looking TOP NOTCH - an excellent piece already even without the headress.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thanatos
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-11 10:50 am   Permalink

Looking great! Love the teeth

View Profile of Thanatos Send a personal message to Thanatos  Email Thanatos     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-11 11:40 am   Permalink

Thats coming along very nice .Love the teeth on this guy.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation