FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
Art by finkdaddy (#8 restarted, this one's a biter)
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 05:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-01 16:44, Benzart wrote:
Hey Finkdaddy, thats got all the promise of a beautiful picture. Makes you want to go out to the hammock with youm MaiTai and finish off a beautiful day. I think we can expect great things from this new computer..
I just figured out what the little tiki with all the teth reminded me of. Looks like he's FREEZIN to Death. get that guy into the sun so he can warm up and stop shivvrin

That's cause I carved him in Wisconsin with snow on the ground! It's on it's way right now to warm Sydney Australia, so as they say, "No Worries"

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-04-02 12:02 pm   Permalink

primitive canoe or not, that is one well done image. It brought back many good memories. What do you end up doing with your computer images?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 4:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-02 12:02, Polynesiac wrote:
primitive canoe or not, that is one well done image. It brought back many good memories. What do you end up doing with your computer images?

Nothing yet. When I'm confident enough I'd like to make some poster sized prints and offer them to all the tiki folk here. I've also thought that when I've created enough carvings, prints, and whatever that I'd like to try and do a web site.

If you or anyone else would like a large, hi-res version of this to use as a wallpaper or something, I'd be happy to email it to you.

Mahalo

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 9:08 pm   Permalink

Send it on down

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-02 11:23 pm   Permalink

Nice work, finkdaddy. Makes me wish I was in the picture...

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 07:02 am   Permalink

I just showed my girl the pic and asked if she liked the photo. She said it was nice.

I then told her it was computer done and all she could say was "bullshit, bullshit, bullshit..."

If you weren't such a nice guy I would hate you for being talented in so many different areas...Is it okay if you are a bastard? Actually this is a term of endearment down under!

As for the little guy, he will soon have pride of place hangin off my rear view mirror. This way i can check him out every day, and the drive to work aint so bad. He will be soaking up that hot Aussie sun, so he should warm up a little.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 9:40 pm   Permalink

Hey, FD. That's beautiful!

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-06 12:19 am   Permalink

I received some of Finkdaddy's finest today (as seen on Page 5). Beleive me, it looks way better in real life than it does in the pictures.

Within 15 minutes of releasing him from his international cocoon (envelope), he was hanging in the sun off my rear vision mirror, just under the lei. He doesn't say much, but I can tell he is happy (despite his scowl).

Thanks Finkdaddy, he's tops.

If anyone is contemplating purchasing one, I reccomend it. The detail in these things is tops and you wont be dissappointed.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 09:25 am   Permalink

Still needs a clear coat and a cord, but here is my tiki pendant #2. He's about 2 1/2" tall. This one is promised to Polynesiac. Thanks for lookin!

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-04-12 21:55 ]

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 10:17 am   Permalink

FinkDaddy, this one is your best yet. You have a really great eye for design. This guy looks great. What kind of wood is he?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 10:29 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-12 10:17, Benzart wrote:
FinkDaddy, this one is your best yet. You have a really great eye for design. This guy looks great. What kind of wood is he?

I'm honestly not sure. I assume it's pine, but I suppose it could be anything. It has a very light colored grain and is pretty soft. It's fairly old wood (I wouldn't doubt if it's 30 years old or more!), so it's dry and really easy to work with. It's strange stuff to stain though. The areas that are carved even with the grain hardly take the stain at all and remain almost shiney, while everything else soaks up the stain like a sponge.

I got the wood from a machine that was stored in the warehouse at work that was being thrown away. It had all these wooden rollers on it that are about a foot long. No one could tell me how long the machine was sitting there. All I know is that no one that works there now could remember the machine ever being used, and my company has been around since the '20s. It was some kind of RF heat seal machine.

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 10:57 am   Permalink

Really cool.

Your work is so good that you should consider using using something other than scrap wood for your tikis. There are alot of nice woods out there for small pieces (do a search on ebay for "wood blanks"). Scraps aren't bad either - I'm finishing up a small piece from what was the tail stock of a shotgun (walnut). With some of these woods you don't have to stain them, just seal it. Keep carving!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 11:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-12 10:57, AlohaStation wrote:
Really cool.

Your work is so good that you should consider using using something other than scrap wood for your tikis. There are alot of nice woods out there for small pieces (do a search on ebay for "wood blanks"). Scraps aren't bad either - I'm finishing up a small piece from what was the tail stock of a shotgun (walnut). With some of these woods you don't have to stain them, just seal it. Keep carving!

Thanks. I just bought a piece of rosa wood. It looks great, but it turned out to be to hard to carve by hand. It just chewed up my knives. What woods look pretty and are still soft enough to carve with a tiny knife set?

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 11:58 am   Permalink

Most exoctic woods are hard. I've found that Cocbolo and Lacewood are managable (I sometimes carve with an X-acto knife at work). One way to try out different woods is to buy a package of "pen blanks" that have a variety of wood in them. They usally run $25 for about 30 pieces (5'x1.5" square) or $1/piece. Ebay has the best deals! Check out any woodworking (wood turning or carving) stores in your area, they carry woods and burles and can give some great advice. I have 2 stores that I go to here - Woodcraft and Constantines. Woodcraft has a very good website (also Rockler.com). Look for wood turning (lathe) clubs in your area too - thats were I found the best advise about different woods. You may be doing tikis but the wood characteristics are the same.

I'm still experimenting with different woods. Next up is Koa and MonkeyPod. Does anyone out there have any advise for carving these Polynesian hardwoods? Knives or powertools?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-13 07:31 am   Permalink

Hey, finkdaddy-

What a cool pendant! Gotta love the design. Lots of character and style. Keep up the good work.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation