[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Dark & Stormy
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Recipe: Dark & Stormy
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-28 10:32 am   Permalink

Not really a "tiki drink", but it's made with rum and is a traditional sailors drink from the Carribean:

1 part Ginger Beer
1 part Gossling's Black Seal Rum (Bermuda black rum)
Wedge of Lime

These are really popular in most sailing towns like Newport R.I.

[ This Message was edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-09-28 10:32 ]

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-29 11:24 pm   Permalink

Great Drink, Urban Tiki! Damn Great Drink, as a matter of fact! I'd say it's More Than Tiki Enough for Me!
Make sure to use Jamaican Ginger Beer in this. Not Ginger Ale. If you have access to it, Blenheim's Ginger Ale does well but I'd stick with the Jamaican Ginger Beer anyhow. I add 1/2 part ginger-infused syrup just to zing mine up a bit.
Also: Squeeze the Lime Wedge(s) (I use two) into the drink and then drop them in. Don't just hang them on the side for decoration. I also add a slice or two of fresh ginger.
4 or 5 cubes of ice in an Old-Fashioned glass.

[ This Message was edited by: Traitor Vic on 2004-09-29 23:25 ]

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-30 7:24 pm   Permalink

After a night of drinking nothing but Mai Tai's I switched to the Dark and Stormy's, and they really hit the spot. A nice, light and bubbly texture, with a very sharp taste.

Easy to make too. An even better reason to end yr drinking binge with 'em...

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-05 11:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-09-29 23:24, Traitor Vic wrote:
<snip> I add 1/2 part ginger-infused syrup just to zing mine up a bit.
<snip>

Do you add the ginger syrup when using Blenheim's or Jamaican ginger beer? That would sure be a ginger-fest!

And I'm curious what brand of ginger syrup you use or do you make your own?

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 05:52 am   Permalink

Mixing equal parts dark rum and ginger wine (Stones, Crabbes etc) is even more of a kick. It's a great one to drink after being out on a cold, dark winter's day.

Do you get ginger wine in the US?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 1:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 05:52, Trader Woody wrote:
Mixing equal parts dark rum and ginger wine (Stones, Crabbes etc) is even more of a kick. It's a great one to drink after being out on a cold, dark winter's day.

Trader Woody

I've never seen it, but I never knew it existed and, therefore, never looked. Being in NYC, if it's available in the U.S., it should be here so I'll check this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-06 1:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 13:19, Urban Tiki wrote:
Quote:

Trader Woody

I've never seen it, but I never knew it existed and, therefore, never looked. Being in NYC, if it's available in the U.S., it should be here so I'll check this weekend. Thanks for the tip.

Trader Woody turned me on to this drink back when I lived in London. It's great, especially on wintry nights!

I have seen Stone's Ginger Wine at shops here in Jersey. So, I'm sure you can pick it up in Manhattan.

Cheers,
TC

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stentiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-15 4:45 pm   Permalink

Hey Urban,

I was about to email you for the Dark & Stormy mixology when I came across this post. Thanks for sharing and for turning me on to the Dark & Stormy at Otto's Shrunken Head. Man, those go down way too smooth! TC NYC, The Fishermen, and 4 Dark and Stormy's make for a most memorable night (and sometimes an ugly morning!).

Catcha later.

Arty

[ This Message was edited by: stentiki on 2004-10-15 16:47 ]

View Profile of stentiki Send a personal message to stentiki  Email stentiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-17 9:10 pm   Permalink

Ginger Infused Syrup from Ginger Island Restaurant,Berkeley, CA, now closed.
Peel one or two hands of fresh ginger. Slice enough to make a cup or so. If you like it strong add more. Add two cups sugar to one pint of water, add ginger and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for awhile. Cool and strain into a bottle. Keep in icebox.

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-22 12:58 am   Permalink

Yep! That sounds about like the syrup I make. I grate my ginger, though, instead of slicing it. I don't know that one results in a stronger flavor. And yes I use the syrup when using the stronger flavored beverages. Its not too stong on it's own and you're not really using that much.

The fresh ginger (even "fresh" as in Homemade Syrup) has the same influence as fresh lime juice as opposed to ReaLime or Frozen Lime Juice. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deery Luau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-29 09:49 am   Permalink

They have Dark and Stormy on the drink menu at the Mai Kai. Wouldn't that make it qualify as a "tiki drink"?

View Profile of Deery Luau Send a personal message to Deery Luau  Email Deery Luau     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-29 09:49, Deery Luau wrote:
They have Dark and Stormy on the drink menu at the Mai Kai. Wouldn't that make it qualify as a "tiki drink"?

What makes a drink a 'tiki drink'? Is it where it's served, where it started, what's in it, how much lime juice is in it? Is a Singapore Sling a tiki drink? There is nothing that makes it tiki other than it's in the Grog Log. Is a rum and coke a tiki drink? It has rum (arrrrrgh). If the Mai Kai put a Screwdriver on their menu, would it then be tiki? I don't have any idea what the guidelines are.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deery Luau
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-29 11:49 am   Permalink

Hrm. I supposed you have a point there.

View Profile of Deery Luau Send a personal message to Deery Luau  Email Deery Luau     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Trader Woody

I made ginger wine. I told her Mary Anne was prettier!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-29 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-29 09:58, finkdaddy wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-10-29 09:49, Deery Luau wrote:

What makes a drink a 'tiki drink'? Is it where it's served, where it started, what's in it, how much lime juice is in it? Is a Singapore Sling a tiki drink? There is nothing that makes it tiki other than it's in the Grog Log. Is a rum and coke a tiki drink? It has rum (arrrrrgh). If the Mai Kai put a Screwdriver on their menu, would it then be tiki? I don't have any idea what the guidelines are.

...Is a martini a tiki drink if you serve it in a tiki mug with Martin Denny playing in the background?

Good points. Man, I haven't dealt with questions so profound since that graduate course in Existentialism- something about being vs. nothingness- nothing as important as this.

I guess I posted that it probably doesn't qualify as a tiki drink because there's no fruit juices (either citrus or otherwise)- but that's just an arbitrary measure. It makes for an interesting discussion, though- any opinions?

[ This Message was edited by: Urban Tiki on 2004-10-29 12:35 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation