FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Recipe: Dark & Stormy
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Recipe: Dark & Stormy
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-25 5:32 pm   Permalink

I don't know if this is new or not but I just picked up a Gosling's Dark'N Stormy "kit" at Winn-Dixie liquors. It's a boxed set of one .750ml bottle of Gosling's and two cans of Barritts Bermuda Stone Ginger Beer. I've been meaning to get some ginger beer so's I can try the Dark and Stormy. Gosling's went and made it easy for me! I will be trying it later this evening.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-26 08:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-06 05:52, Trader Woody wrote:

Do you get ginger wine in the US?

Trader Woody

Yes we do get Stone's Ginger Wine in the US - of course it's a little hard to come by. I have a Jamaican co-worker who absolutely loves the stuff and luckily I was able to buy her a bottle here and there as a thank you when we'd swap days or when she'd fill in for me. But sadly the liquor store that used to carry Stone's has discontinued stocking it because there wasn't much of a demand. That's also the same liquor store that has been trying to order me a couple bottles of Lemon Hart for a month now!

Oddly enough I saw the same set that Kono posted at a store this weekend and was tempted to pick it up. Now after hearing all the positive reviews of the Dark and Stormy I'm going back to get it on Saturday!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 2:45 pm   Permalink

Could Cruzan Black Strap be an acceptable substitute for the Gossling's Black Seal Rum?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-09 4:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-09 14:45, finkdaddy wrote:
Could Cruzan Black Strap be an acceptable substitute for the Gossling's Black Seal Rum?

I don't think you can sub Black Strap for anything except maybe for syrup for your pancakes. You can try it and it might be great (I really enjoy Black Strap) but it wouldn't taste like a Dark and Stormy. Black Strap has just such a unique taste.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 05:13 am   Permalink

Finkdaddy,
The Cruzan is way, way more molasses-y than Gosling's. Myer's Dark is in the middle. I have not tried Myer's in a Dark 'n Stormy, though.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 05:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-10 05:13, JTD wrote:
I have not tried Myer's in a Dark 'n Stormy, though.

it's good. not as good as gosling's. but not bad.

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-10 06:19 am   Permalink

Personally, I could not imagine anything but Gosling's in a Dark and Stormy, but I'm a traditionalist- your mileage may vary.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 05:56 am   Permalink

You guys were right, I bought a bottle of Gosling's last night and made a couple of Dark and Stormys and they were superb! (ok, I made four ) Even the wahine loved them. That Gosling's is the most gorgeous color when you hold it up to the light. Great stuff.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Demon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-13 08:47 am   Permalink

A few years back the Dark and Stormy was my drink of choice. It's pretty amazing at how varied the taste can be and still be quite agreeable. Even if you follow the Goslings rule, you still have many different brands of ginger beer to choose from. Having a bit of a sweet tooth, I quickly went back over to ginger ale, but kept the lime and added a grated ginger step. I pour the ginger ale through the grated ginger to avoid "floaties". This gives the drink a nice tang while keeping the sweetness my wife and I enjoy. Seemed less sacrilegious than adding sugar syrup to ginger beer.

I've experimented with many dark rums for the stormy and eventually settled on Bacardi Select. A bit cheaper than Goslings and my unrefined palette couldn't tell much difference. Just lately my wife and I have been trying the blackstrap in the D&S. She likes it, I don't, too much conflicting character, like when I tried using spiced rum (that awful friggin Captain Morgan's Tattoo). I plan to revisit Goslings or, if it's available, perhaps try that Coruba stuff I've heard so much about. Damn good drink no matter how you mix it. Good to see it getting the Tiki stamp of approval despite it's Carribean heritage. Ginger- just exotic enough, eh?

-Joe

View Profile of Rum Demon Send a personal message to Rum Demon  Goto the website of Rum Demon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-17 9:54 pm   Permalink

Dang, Kono! I somehow missed your earlier post (hope you're still checkin' this thread) on getting Goslings from Winn-Dixie! We, of course, never had Winn-Dixie Liquors around these parts but are now losing even the Grocery Stores (they've done a seriously poor job of keeping up with the competition in all markets) and I'm pretty bummed about it. Those are great stores. They have better cocktail related products (and even some decent glassware) than all the other stores in this area combined.
I sometimes make a Rum Milkshake using Hagen-Daas Pinapple Coconut Ice Cream and they're the only store in this market that carries it on a regular basis. I hope that, even though they're pulling out of this area (and a good many others) they're able to hang on.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-26 6:19 pm   Permalink

Finally got around to buying a bottle of Gosling's, and I'm headed out to pick up some ginger beer later to try my first D&S. A question, though...the recipes on this thread call for a LIME wedge, but the recipe on Gosling's web site calls for a LEMON wedge. http://www.blackseal.com/darkandstormy.htm

I'm going to use a lime, but I'm curious if anyone's used a lemon?

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-08-31 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the recipe link, RumBalls.

They have a recipe for
Dark 'n Stormy Ice-Cream, too, but no mention of lime or lemon...guess that might curdle the cream? I just might have to give this a try!

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-01 06:15 am   Permalink

I've had this drink at many, many watering holes, usually in sailing harbor towns like Newport RI, and have never had it with lemon, but I don't think it would make that much of a difference. Personally, I generally prefer lime in drinks. I had a D & S in a NYC bar recently where they added some lime juice, not just a wedge- when I questioned it, the bartender showed me his mixology book that did, indeed, call for lime juice. I thought it was a bit too much lime.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kelbos4ever

Posted: 2005-09-11 10:37 pm   Permalink

Does anyone have access to the old Kelbo's food and drink recipes? I have been mourning the loss of those two great places for years!

k4e

View Profile of kelbos4ever Send a personal message to kelbos4ever      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-12-19 5:18 pm   Permalink

I've only been to Otto's Shrunken Head once...and loved their "Stormy Skull"!
The menu describes it as dark rum, coconut & ginger, which begs the question:
Would the coconut come from coconut rum, or coco lopez?
Any thoughts?

peace,
Scottiki

View Profile of Scottiki Send a personal message to Scottiki  Email Scottiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation