FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel San Francisco & East bay Area favorite (often vintage) restaurant & bars
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
San Francisco & East bay Area favorite (often vintage) restaurant & bars
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 2:03 pm   Permalink

When I was a sprout (about 1967) my parents took us on vacation to San Francisco. One night we went to a little spot called The Hungry i for dinner & a show. I had flaming Cherries Jubilee for dessert and caught a stand-up act of a coupla' comedians that were on a third rate sitcom called "My Mother The Car". For quite awhile I thought that place was heaven on Earth (probably a parking lot or a broke down strip bar now).

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-04 11:06 am   Permalink

I'm kind of surprised that no one at TC has mentioned of Rick's Bar and Restaurant in San Francisco at 30th and Taraval Street. It's been a haunt of the Sunset District for years and has a very diverse crowd on Fridays and weekends. It's your typical looking dark neighborhood pub/restaurant with a big open bar on one side and elevated seating on the other which is the restaurant portion.

The menu is all over the map ranging from comfort pub food to Hawaiian. They used to have a Hawaiian band play on Fridays and feature a full-on Luau on the first Monday of the month (as I recall).

Rick (the owner) evidently has been a chef at Canlis Grill in Hawaii and used to be the executive chef for the legendary Gold Spike restaurant. His signature pot roast at "The Spike" is offered here and pretty damn good at that. The food can be hit or miss, but generally his Hawaiian dishes are tasty. The prices are right and the place can be very crowded on weekends. The last time I was there (admittedly a couple of years ago), it was pouring rain in the middle of winter and as I walked through the front door, I was confronted with a bunch of customers in aloha shirts, packed into the bar area, listening to a trio of traditional Hawaiian musicians playing and singing, oblivious to the English pub-like atmosphere. Weird but true!

http://ricksaloha.com/page/o29f/Home_Page.html

[ This Message was edited by: quickiki 2006-05-04 11:49 ]

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-08-19 11:28 am   Permalink

Southwest airlines magazine, Spirit, just had a great article about "Vintage San Francisco" (Aug. 2006)
These are the places recommended in the article:

Hotels:
Fairmont (of course, has the Tonga Room)
Hotel Union Square (has a Dashiell Hammet suite)
Mark Hopkins (great bar on top)
Palace Hotel (great afternoon tea in Crystal Ballroom area)
San Remo
Sir Francis Drake
Westin St. Francis

Restaurants:
It's Tops Coffee Shop
John's Grill (Hammett ties)
Ristorante Fior d'Tialia
Sam Wo (Chinatown)
Sam's Grill
Sears Fine Food
Swan Oyster Depot
Tadich Grill
Tommaso's North Beach

Nightlife (i.e. Bars):
Buena Vista Cafe
PlumpJack Balboa Cafe
The Saloon (on Grant) (gold rush era)
Tonga Room (OF COURSE!!)
Top of the Mark (excellent views, fab food and drink, right across street from Tonga Room)
Tosca Cafe
Vesuvio

Attractions:
Anchor Brewing Co.
Cable Car Museum
City Lights Bookstore
Cliff House (remodeled version not as great as the older version, but still great views)
Ferry Building Marketplace
Flood Building
Geary Theater
Mission Dolores
See's Candies on Polk
Sentinel Building
Spring Valley Elementary School (oldest public school in CA)

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-10-28 09:43 am   Permalink

I'm sad to report the passing of Robert "C Bobby" Cook, of Owl Tree Fame.

http://www.legacy.com/SFGate/Deathnotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=19522683

I'm told his son will take over and the Tree will reopen in the next month, but it will probably never be the same.

Here's to Bobby.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-11-08 11:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-28 09:43, martiki wrote:
I'm sad to report the passing of Robert "C Bobby" Cook, of Owl Tree Fame.

http://www.legacy.com/SFGate/Deathnotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=19522683

I'm told his son will take over and the Tree will reopen in the next month, but it will probably never be the same.

Here's to Bobby.

I doubt his son will be a crabby as Bobby was! It was cool to talk to him about Tiki Bob's, though.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-11-10 4:57 pm   Permalink

I finally made it to Bourbon and Branch recently, after eating dinner at Original Joe's. It's a new bar that feels like an old speakeasy from Prohibition. It's very elegant and they make excellent cocktails. They have a huge cocktail and spirits menu and you have to make reservations to visit, unless they have a seat at the bar, which is unlikely Wednesday through Saturday nights. I thought the hostess / cocktail waitress had a nasty attitude (a smile and pleasant manner goes a long way in the bar business miss ice cube), but the bartender was friendly and made excellent drinks. There was good 30s jazz in the background, and the atmosphere was very good for lounging and having a conversation.

501 Jones St.
(415) 673-1921
www.bourbonandbranch.com

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJonah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-05 6:37 pm   Permalink

I checked out bourbon and branch over the weekend and it was a mixed affair. The staff were all fine, I had read on yelp that they've fired the bitchy hostess. Unfortunately, the drink menu lacked the "Hell's Kitchen" selections that everyone raves about featuring the Pimm's cup with cucumber foam and the deconstructed Negroni. As far as drink recommendations I sugest The Democrat. The space is beautifully decorated and the selection is huge so I would book two hours.

www.bourbonandbranch.com

View Profile of TraderJonah Send a personal message to TraderJonah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2007-02-07 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-05 18:37, TraderJonah wrote:
I checked out bourbon and branch over the weekend and it was a mixed affair. The staff were all fine, I had read on yelp that they've fired the bitchy hostess. Unfortunately, the drink menu lacked the "Hell's Kitchen" selections that everyone raves about featuring the Pimm's cup with cucumber foam and the deconstructed Negroni. As far as drink recommendations I sugest The Democrat. The space is beautifully decorated and the selection is huge so I would book two hours.

http://www.bourbonandbranch.com

I think their menu changes all the time by design. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try the Democrat next time.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2007-02-07 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-05 18:37, TraderJonah wrote:

http://www.bourbonandbranch.com

I think their menu changes all the time by design. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll try the Democrat next time.

C.B. Howlie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-25 01:51 am   Permalink

Thanks for this list Smiley.
It will be helpful on our cruise north.

What do you say we arrange to bend an elbow on Saturday night someplace?
Forbidden Island?

View Profile of C.B. Howlie Send a personal message to C.B. Howlie  Goto the website of C.B. Howlie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2007-04-27 5:03 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2008-01-09 08:51 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 12:02 am   Permalink

bastard.

i was hoping we'd have a . . . . wait, i got nuthin' here.

have fun in oakland.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2008-01-09 08:50 am   Permalink

no more SF Vics---RAZZ!

mrsmiley

Posted: 2008-07-09 11:48 pm   Permalink

So many places-so little time!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 6:48 pm   Permalink

Harry Denton's Starlight Room, which is located in the Sir Francis Drake Hotel on the 21st floor, 450 Powell Street at the corner of Sutter Street. While not elegant or formal, it can be more dressy. Dancing on the weekends, although not a dance bar.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation