FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events hukilau 2005 - decided!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
hukilau 2005 - decided!!!
Tiki-Toa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 12:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-15 15:47, tiki_kiliki wrote:
The organizers of the Hukilau are considering joining forces with the
organizers of Exotica in Chicago.

Not sure what organizers this may be, I have a feeling this may come to a surprise to a majority of those that put on Exotica and are in early idea planning for 2005. TK you and Swanky did such an awesome job this year despite the hurricane. I would actually love to see you do it in Atlanta if any place other then Ft. Lauderdale as I have never been there as yet. But I know I missed out on going to the Mai Kai so I would love to see it back there in 2005.

View Profile of Tiki-Toa Send a personal message to Tiki-Toa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mermadia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-16 12:37 am   Permalink

Any way we can have the 2005 Hukilau in Florida, but not during hurricane season? What if we have it a little further inland? Just some thoughts...

~Angela~

View Profile of Mermadia Send a personal message to Mermadia  Email Mermadia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 12:43 am   Permalink

Chicago! Chicago!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 07:29 am   Permalink

"we throw our nets out into the sea..."

There is no "sea" in Chicago.

I vote Ft. Lauderdale!
MAIKAIMAIKAIMAIKAIMAITAI

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 07:41 am   Permalink

BTW - Hurricanes aren't a given.

Jeanne was an anomaly, not the norm.

You could pick dates within that time slot for 25 years and probably never see anything more than an afternoon shower.
And me, Bamboo Ben and C'Al on the beach, loaded and laughing.

(Although yesterday we had a tornado cruise through town and drop a few more trees. )

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 08:26 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:09 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Ragin' Rarotongan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 08:29 am   Permalink

No Chicago! Keep Hukilau in Florida at the Mai Kai. Like some others said, do it maybe November at the end Of Hurricane season, when the weather and temp are much better.
"Want a beer?'"...."It's 7:00 in the morning!"...."Scotch?"...."Not during working hours."

View Profile of The Ragin' Rarotongan Send a personal message to The Ragin' Rarotongan  Email The Ragin' Rarotongan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 08:56 am   Permalink

Chicago for 2005! And,fyi,Pablus,during the making of the movie "Class",Jackie Bissett looked out her window of the Ritz Carlton hotel,saw Lake Michigan,and said "I didn't know Chicago was on an ocean!".

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 09:08 am   Permalink

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! I *loved* Exotica and my first trip to Chicago, and I *loved* Hukilau III and my first trip to the Mai Kai. Getting to do both cities again in grand tiki style would be WONderful!!

I vote "a."

But my second choice "b" won't leave me sad. The Mai Kai is now one of my favorite places in the world!

Now if only I could get Oasis moved from Mother's Day and into the summer when school's out.......

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MEAN GENE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 09:33 am   Permalink

Somebody hurry up and build a big tiki bar in Catalina and we can take over Avalon!

View Profile of MEAN GENE Send a personal message to MEAN GENE  Email MEAN GENE Goto the website of MEAN GENE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 09:43 am   Permalink

How bout Disney World? (then down to the Mai Kai!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 09:53 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:09 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-10-16 10:11 am   Permalink

a. have Hukilau 2005 in Chicago and Hukilau 2006 in Fort Lauderdale

There's already plenty of events in California.

I don't see why Exotica and Hukilau can't join forces. I mean, Exotica didn't even happen this year. (That is most definitely NOT meant as a slam against Exotica organizers. It's not easy to put these things together, and everyone has day jobs, etc.) Joining forces could yield amazing results. Plus: Chicago rules!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 1:05 pm   Permalink

Yes. Chicago.

1. Three tiki hot spots... Trader Vic's, Hala Kahiki and Chef Shangri-La. Oh, let's not forget Aku Hall either (though I've yet to visit)

2. A major metropolis with potential for a huge draw TC and non TC people

3. Two airports (three if you count Milwaukee 80 miles to the north) to which airfare is pretty reasonable plus Amtrack for the more adventurous. Right off of major interstates which stretch to all reaches of the country. Makes it easier if we have to evacuate from a hurricane... you can go north, west, and south...

4. Chicago is beautiful in the summer and fall. Lower humidity than Florida, lower UV ratings for our fairer skinned ohana...

5. Lake Michigan is an inland sea... I frequently surf it. The lakeshore is beautiful... North Avenue Beach, Oak Street Beach... Navy Pier and the ferris wheel, harbor boat trips...

6. Some of the best shopping in the world, for those who indulge in it, along the Magnificent Mile... rivals New York and Beverly Hills if not beats it...

Yes, Fort Lauderdale has the tropical atmosphere which makes for a great location (not like I got to experience much of it this year) but Chicago would not dissapoint. And as been mentioned... put the heads of Exotica and Hukilau together good things could happen...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-16 1:40 pm   Permalink

I Vote:

a. have Hukilau 2005 in Chicago and Hukilau 2006 in Fort Lauderdale.

Chicago is always alot of fun plus it will make going back to Fort Lauderdale even more enticing!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation