FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events 2005 Hawaiian Inn party, Daytona Beach, January 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
2005 Hawaiian Inn party, Daytona Beach, January 22
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-17 6:51 pm   Permalink

I am going to consider this .... it may be a good time of year to escape to the warmer weather.

I've made hotel reservations just in case .... (and a few days later, I made plane reservations too. Count me in!)

Vern

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev on 2004-11-28 15:53 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-18 12:21 am   Permalink

Pandering to TCers in the South Florida area contemplating the 4 hour drive (it is from Miami), I offer a car pooling possibility. Any interested parties please PM me.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki on 2004-11-18 00:22 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-18 11:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-17 18:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is it worthwile to come and fotograph ze Vitco zere?

Of course! The only other place that has this much WITCO is Hala Kahiki. Please do come visit us BigBro. I know you would enjoy talking to Wayne and Teauila who run the show at the Hawaiian Inn and have been performing in tiki restaurants since the 60s. I sent you a private message.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-18 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-17 18:30, bigbrotiki wrote:
Is it worthwile to come and fotograph ze Vitco zere?

You betcha!!!!!!! Photographing Witco is mandatory and definitely worth the trip.
Although one doesn't get the concentration of Witco found at Hala Kahiki, Hawaiian Inn has pieces you dont find in bars or restaurants, like furniture.....sofas, benches, chairs, former headboards, etc.

Hi ya Geoff!!!
Friday dinner at Julian's sounds lovely; I love listening to their lounge singer.
We're really looking forward to the weekend with the world's best people.

P.S. Guess what, I'm going to be a new Mommie tomorrow.........we're adopting a gorgeous rescue......

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bree
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-18 12:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-17 18:51, ikitnrev wrote:
I am going to consider this .... it may be a good time of year to escape to the warmer weather.

I've made hotel reservations just in case ....

Vern

Oh Vern, you've made my heart go pitter pat!

View Profile of Tiki Bree Send a personal message to Tiki Bree      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-20 8:05 pm   Permalink

Marian and I went to the Hawaiian Inn today and talked with Wayne about our tiki gathering. He very generously offered us the use of his large meeting room for vending and party purposes, although we'll have to do our drink mixing and serving out of one of the guest rooms. For that reason, Marian and I are reserving a room directly across the hall from the meeting room that can serve as our pantry and bar.
This means Flounder, Benzart, Mai-Tiki, Cybertiki or anyone else that wants to vend at the Hawaiian Inn can do so with no charge for the space. My only request is we keep the number of vendors somewhat limited because the space isn't huge. I don't know what the right number is, but if you want to vend get hold of me sooner rather than later so I can make sure you will have a table.
KG
(If your e-mail hits my spam filter, don't worry about it. Just put Hawaiian Inn in the subject line and I will see it and reply.)

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crataegus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-11-20 8:23 pm   Permalink

I just reserved my room. Let's hope I don't have to go somewhere and move servers that weekend! Look forward to meeting all of y'all there.

View Profile of crataegus Send a personal message to crataegus  Goto the website of crataegus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 11:38 am   Permalink

Let's definitely do Julian's on Friday Night.
I missed it last year and want to check it out.

Poolside Bar at 11am on Saturday sounds good. I'd be willing to bet it will be in the low to upper 70s and very swimable that day.

<<<3) Move it into a room or rooms where we'll play our own music, mix drinks and talk story. >>>

I know that Rusty Key, Ona Koka and myself will be bringing ukes. The room Angela and I had last year was fun and all but better yet would be 2 suites joined together. Is there such a beast at the Inn?

It needs to be sort of "away" from the normal crowd if you know what I mean - and I think you do.

<<<4) Sober up in the shower before the luau and show. >>>

That show is cool. But the sober part is just plain wrong.

<<<7)Go swimming around midnight in the freezing Atlantic Ocean with Pablus, Flounder, KailuaGeoff and whoever else got suckered into this crazy commitment. >>>

It's not freezing unless you're sober.

Sunday morning - A cool diner somewhere on the strip. Any vintage places that Mr. Smiley or The Jab would be proud of us overtaking?

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 12:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:
The room Angela and I had last year was fun and all but better yet would be 2 suites joined together. Is there such a beast at the Inn?

The room we stayed in last year was fairly large with a seperate bedroom, full kitchen, sitting area, and another open bedroom. The balcony was kinda right over the pool bar. It would definitely do the trick.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-02 2:04 pm   Permalink

Julian's sounds like a definite thing for Friday night which is cool.

I posted awhile ago that we have free use of the Hawaiian Inn's meeting room for vending or whatever other purpose (except the serving of alcohol).

I was thinking some of you might want to set out some of your wares for possible sale, but so far I have had absolutely no takers on the space. This is totally okay with me since I'm not fortunate enough to have the gift of painting, carving, sewing or whatever.

I also understand that this party is about relaxing and not working - so that is a good a reason not to vend if you don't want to, at least not in a formal way.

The thing is, if I don't hear from at least a few people on this soon, I'm going to tell Wayne thanks but the room isn't necessary.

It might be better to just wander from guest room to guest room anyway since that's the way we've played it in the past and it has worked out fine. Also, this thing looks like it wil be bigger this year so it might be easiest. I'm interested in other opinions on this though.

Also, a local surf band has generously offered to play for us at no cost that weekend. Are we into that? If so, I have to get with Wayne and see if they could set up in the tiki hut or something. Pablus and his crew will still be able to strum for us regardless.

I think everyone that knows me understands I'm not high on planning lots of extras when the party is happening in the middle of an authentic Polynesian Pop experience; especialy with Bre-elle, Pablus, Humuhumu and the like injecting their energy into the place.

On the other hand, if anyone feels strongly we need to evolve this thing a little more this year, now is the time to speak up. My aim is to please and sometimes that means just letting things happen as they will, or maybe giving them a nudge. Let me know.
Mahalo,
KG

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-12-02 14:05 ]

tweedtone
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 10:13 am   Permalink

Everything sounds great! Dinner Friday at Julian's - who all can make it?

Any interest in a Saturday field trip down to Wayne Coombs studio? Mapquest claims a 90-minute drive each way - is that accurate?

If not that, are there any other Saturday local trips to be recommended? I've got a minivan that seats seven (more if'n ya wanna get snuggly) so I can play tour bus driver ...

View Profile of tweedtone Send a personal message to tweedtone  Email tweedtone Goto the website of tweedtone     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-03 5:20 pm   Permalink

I'll probably be flying the redeye out Friday night again like last year, so no Julian's for me. It's a great stop, though, I encourage anyone who hasn't been there to take the opportunity to check it out if you can.

I like the thought of keeping it low-key... I'm flying across the country to see my Florida 'ohana. Bands & music & vendors can be great fun, and I certainly enjoy them if they were there, but that's not why I'll be there.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-07 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-03 17:20, Humuhumu wrote:
I like the thought of keeping it low-key... I'm flying across the country to see my Florida 'ohana. Bands & music & vendors can be great fun, and I certainly enjoy them if they were there, but that's not why I'll be there.

I hear you Humu, and it seems like everyone else has the same idea.

crataegus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-08 2:22 pm   Permalink

Unfortunately, I've had to cancel my reservation. I'm going to hit the Lowcountry Oyster Fest with my hubby and my lovely lesbian wife on the thirtieth instead.

View Profile of crataegus Send a personal message to crataegus  Goto the website of crataegus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 10:16 pm   Permalink

Argghh! Due to unforseen financial drainage (car accident and all that follows),
I too am going to have to cancel my plans and reservations.

Have a GREAT time everyone. Really wish things could have worked out better for some serious quality time with y'all. Many Mai Tais for each of you in my absense.

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation