FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge walmart spirit of aloha
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
walmart spirit of aloha
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 9:08 pm   Permalink

Now now, that is a political question...

I frankly don't remember. But if I did, shouldn't I know what I am talking about?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 9:37 pm   Permalink

Hefe Weizen!!! (no lemon pleaze!)

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 10:00 pm   Permalink

On second thought, that couldn't have been me, the comparison doesn't stick:

(I'm just talking about Hitler here, that's history, not politics!)

1. He wore a moustache

2. He was an evil SMART guy

3. The country he invaded under false pretense was POLAND

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 10:05 pm   Permalink

4.Hitler was elected.

And as I recall he had German troops dress in Polish Army uniforms, and attack a German outpost, so he could claim Poland was a threat to him. I think thats how he did it...

Just noting history, thats all.

And I guarentee that if HellMart were to try and build a box on my fathers grave I'd burn the bastard to the ground. You're mileage may vary.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-10-24 22:17 ]

[ This Message was edited by: TikiGardener on 2004-10-24 22:19 ]

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-10-24 19:02, christiki295 wrote

(article snipped to save space and bandwidth.)

Chris, and excellent and balanced article!
Thanks for posting it.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 10:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-24 18:03, Tiki Rider wrote:
4,400 hawaiian residents are gainfully employed and thousands shop there. Isnt that good for the State of Hawaii's economy and employment rates?

This would seem to be the case on the surface, but look deeper. Yes, 4,400 Hawaiians are employed, but the amount of money spent in the WalMart stores in Hawaii far outweighs the salaries of the workers employed there, obviously (or else the store wouldn't make profit). All of that cash made in the store is not staying in the local community, it is lining the pockets of WalMart executives in other states. A tiny percent of the store's income is going to salaries of the workers, but the vast majority of the money spent by locals is going to WalMart's profits elsewhere. So in reality, the Wal Mart stores are sucking the ecenomy dry, not helping it. The only way to help ANY local economy is to open businesses and put people to work for companies who are locally-based.

I haven't partonized a Wal Mart, Blockbuster, McDonalds, etc, since the 1980s. I spend my money at locally-owned businesses as often as I possibly can. It is sometimes more expensive, but I like keeping my money in my local economy. I like seeing my neighbors and friends all get ahead a little and put shoes on their kid's feet, rather than have some mega-corpoation build more skyscrapers and ruin more landmarks.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 11:04 pm   Permalink

Hefe Dunkel!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-24 11:10 pm   Permalink

Affligem !

thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 07:34 am   Permalink

Hey, next can we go after the third world countries that put the Hawaiian sugar cane industry out of business.
That just pisses me off.
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 07:34, thebaxdog wrote:
Hey, next can we go after the third world countries that put the Hawaiian sugar cane industry out of business.
That just pisses me off.

When I visited the big island a few years back, I was able to visit a couple who helped set my parents up. They now live in Kona, and she is a volunteer at the Hospital. She is pushing for more marijuana used for medical purposes. She even wanted to send me home with some 'special' brownies for my parents, (both with serious health issues) I didn't want to go through agricultural customs with those. Yipes!

Well, she thinks all the land which used to grow sugar cane would be perfect for medical marajuana crops. I think it's a great idea. Talk about a boost to Hawaii's economy!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 10:32 am   Permalink

Youre right bigbro. you should know.
I hereby humble-ly withdraw my political question.
say Wasnt hitler a painter too?

Awchoo!

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 11:13 am   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-10-25 11:28 am   Permalink

A good analysis of the impact of WalMart on our communities and our society that Congress published last winter:

http://edworkforce.house.gov/democrats/WALMARTREPORT.pdf

I haven't entered a Walmart since the early 90s when I was followed for quite a while in the store by undercover security. I confronted the person and they admitted they were following me. I guess I didn't fit the profile of the typical Walmart shopper so they decided I was shoplifter. The whole place gives me the creeps. I can't even visit modern suburban areas without sinking into a state of depression and gloom. The monotony of those neighborhoods is so oppressive.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 11:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-25 11:13, Unga Bunga wrote:
(rapa nui/wal-mart image)

(shudder)

This hits a little close to home... reminds me of the 'debate' that Christiki295 and I had on another thread earlier this year.

This one:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6130&forum=1

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars on 2004-10-25 11:46 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-25 11:44 am   Permalink

I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812963776/qid=1098725553/sr=8-10/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i10_xgl14/102-1320796-1391313?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I felt like I got a real sense of the man who started WalMart after reading this... It is pretty even handed, but I still felt like Sam walton had an addiction when it came to his business (by that I mean, he couldn't stop growing it - no matter the cost, financial risks & public perception be damned...) And I do hate what WalMart has done to the small businesses of this nation - not to mention the many abuses of it's employees...
Interesting read, anyway.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation