[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki History - South Seas, Boston
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki History - South Seas, Boston
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 4:21 pm   Permalink

Here are some scans from an oversize postcard from the South Seas Restaurant & Lounge in Boston, Mass. and Hartford, Conn.

I thought I remembered a previous thread about this place, but I couldn't find it.

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-12-30 08:51 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 5:28 pm   Permalink

Zulu -

That postcard is awesome! Never seen that one before. All I've got is the matchbook. I dig those fernwood tikis. Wonder where they got so many?

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-02 7:48 pm   Permalink

I always wondered where the South Seas in West Hartford was located, since I live less than 20 minutes away. This is what resides there now:

http://www.maxrestaurantgroup.com/locations/oyst_index.php

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg 2006-12-30 09:27 ]

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 10:58 am   Permalink

As always Zulu, a fine find!

Didn't we once make a thread with the most searched after postcards? Meaning interior/exterior shots of lost Tiki palaces that SHOULD exist out there?

Like the Mainlander in St.Louis....and has there been an interior of the Islander Stockton found yet?

Then again, some places just didn't seem to see the necessity in having paper items made. I remember when I went to photograph the Hala Kahiki with James T.:
We got all excited when the owner told us that they were going to open a time capsule they had planted in the 70s in one of the bar posts, but to our (well conceiled) dissapointment the napkin, matchbook and swizzle it produced were generic!
There is only one Hala Kahiki matchbook design I know, and it seems to be the only branded item they ever produced (apart from having their name on mugs).

So we might be lookin', but if it was never made, it ain't there. But this is part of the fun: You never know!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 3:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting pics of that postcard ! I had wondered what the interior of the restaurant looked like. Here's a few menus from the South Seas, both from 1969 :

Dinner menu :

Cocktail menu:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-03 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-03 15:39, puamana wrote:
Here's a few menus from the South Seas, both from 1969 :

Dinner menu :

Wow, love those graphics. They remind me of the elaborate tiled walls of some of the Spanish Tiki bars, which, I assume, were done in the early 70's. Interesting to see how Tiki design went through the artistic styles of the age.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 9:07 pm   Permalink

Found this recently.

ALSO:
I heard there was an "Islander" in Manchester, CT. Does anyone have any info on this?

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 04:22 am   Permalink

Abstract Tiki at its finest!!

This is what Picasso's Polynesian restaurant menus would look like!

I would love to see the interior shots again. ZuluMagoo? Anyone? Looks like the original pics are gone.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 05:45 am   Permalink

The South Seas' fine menu cover is of course an excellent example of, and will be found in, TIKI MODERN...thanks to puamana!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 08:52 am   Permalink

I fixed the broken pic links from Shutterfly and moved the photos over to the TC server, now they won't get lost.

Only 328 broken Shutterfly links left to repair (SIGH!!!)

[ This Message was edited by: ZuluMagoo 2006-12-30 08:59 ]

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 09:07 am   Permalink

Thank you Zulu for taking the time to fix the broken images! The wealth of these posts is often in the pictures and without them, they are a terrible tease to new readers.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 10:44 am   Permalink

GREAT!!

Thanks ZuluMagoo. Much appreciated. The pictures are very nice!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-01 08:48 am   Permalink

Loved the coctail menu. Gave me some great ideas for creating one for my backyard tiki garden bar.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-08-23 3:40 pm   Permalink

Here's a pic of the South Seas storefront on the CT History Online webpage.

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-18 6:44 pm   Permalink

It's truly fabulous to find a great old thread with the pictures still intact. Oh how I love those menu graphics.

I picked up this match cover recently.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation